1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Look what a SWM will let you do.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by daniellee, Jul 28, 2007.

1. daniellee

daniellee Legend

Jun 15, 2006
    With things being slow around here, I thought I’d share this with ya’ll (you guys, if you’re not from The South).

When we remodeled our kitchen last year I had a wall cabinet built especially to hold a DirecTV HD DVR. It is 14” deep instead of the usual 12”. While it may sound extravagant to have an HD DVR in a kitchen this was my thinking. First, the TV in the kitchen is the most watched TV we have – on most of the time. Second, when MRV comes along this could be the common DVR to record shows that my wife and I both like to watch - I have my DVR in the den, she has her DVR in the bedroom and with MRV we could share the one in the kitchen. I ran the cables, RG6, CAT3 (phone) and CAT5 into a false bottom area of the cabinet and then up through the shelf to the receiver. I only ran one RG6 drop thinking I could run the other one if MRV actually happened. Well the fly in the ointment turned out to be the thick, bulky and hard to manage nature of RG6 cable in such a confined space. I was having a hard time working with just one cable so adding another would certainly have made matters even worse. But now with the HR20 & the SWM a second cable is no longer necessary.

But would the SWM let me get rid of the RG6 in the back of the cabinet completely?

The first picture shows a very thin & very flexible coax cable with push-on connectors – about 5 feet long. I think it came with an old Sony receiver I had a few years back to connect the receiver to the antenna input on a TV. Remember, you would turn the TV to channel 3 or 4... Anyway, it works. Now the HR20 has two tuners running through this one tiny cable. The other pictures tell the rest of the story.

Attached Files:

2. tfederov

tfederov DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    Very nice setup!

3. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    With the exception of it being JG on your TV I'd have to say it looks pretty slick!

4. Drew2k

Drew2k DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 16, 2006
    Sweet setup! This will give a lot of people ideas, I'm sure.

I know it gives me some!

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It looks like it's flexible to accommodate whatever comes along in the future, too! Great job!

6. rsblaski

rsblaski Icon

Jul 6, 2003
    Southern Nevada
    I agree. A pic of TS or his Big Orange would have looked better.
    Hopefully tomorrow there will be a fence that needs climbing!

7. Drewg5

Drewg5 Icon

Dec 15, 2006
    St. Louis
    I want one.....drool's with hope

8. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    The second largest TV in the house is in our dining room and Kitchen open space. So I fully understand your kitchen arrangement. Currently only one HR20, but it also features the H21 because SWM enables me to.

Cheers,
    Tom

9. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
  10. Joelh1

Joelh1 Cool Member

Nov 17, 2006
  11. rrrick8

rrrick8 Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2007
  12. daniellee

daniellee Legend

Jun 15, 2006
    As described in the OP...

For those interested in trying mini coax for the last few feet of a SWM run, I found a very reasonable (read cheap) source here. They have other good stuff too. I've been looking all over the place for these. Max shipping is only $5. I can not vouch for their service - just placed my first order with them a few minutes ago.

Edit: 8/2/07 - no email order acknowledgment or confirmation (not good) but did get email "to notify you that the package information below has been transmitted to UPS" with a tracking #. Delivery date is tomorrow.

Edit: 8/3/07 - order arrived today and everything is OK. Cable quality seems good - now running 3 HR20s with mini-coax at the end of the SWM runs.

13. mocarob

mocarob Legend

Jul 26, 2007
    How did you guys get your single wire switch?
    I live in L.A. and the installers keep on telling me theyre not available..

14. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Very Nice!!

However, being originally from northern NJ, that would be Yous Guys..... :)

Mike

15. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Nice going. Should get a HDMI wall plate behind that TV though :D

16. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    You can obtain them through 3rd party sources such as Solid Signal.

You can also contact dave29 as I believe he is offering them to DBStalk members at a fantastic price

17. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Some participated in a field trial last year, others are purchasing from Soligsignal or other online retailers.

SWM rollout is expanding all the time, LA installers should have it soon.

Cheers,
    Tom

18. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It should be noted that they aren't currently giving them away to existing customers and it is unlikely that they will in the foreseeable future. Further, if you have a collection of legacy receivers, they probably won't show you much lovin' either.

19. HaRrrgh20!

HaRrrgh20! Legend

Jan 22, 2007
    The wiring in my kitchen cabinet is not quite as clean...

3 HR20s, 6x8 Multiswitch (cascaded from basement with 4 coax lines), HDMI outputs to 2 rooms (including a beefy 25' cable), 75' dual component cables back to the bedroom (so, that's 10 more coax lines).

I used to have an amplified OTA antenna in there too, but took that out when I added the third HR20.

SWM would have been nice! I still have an HR20 downstairs that's running off of 1 line.

20. DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie Icon

Nov 3, 2007
    The SWM makes installing TVs, in locations that otherwise would have been nearly impossible or impractical to get to, a relatively easy task.

I was able to split and extend a single coax line from the Master Bedroom to another HD Receiver. From that receiver, I fished component cables to a wall-mounted 20" LCD in the Master Bathroom, which can be viewed from the Shower, Jacuzzi, Double Sink, and Make-up vanity. I also ran a composite feed from the receiver to a Sony wireless AV transmitter, which sends the D* feed to a Sony Playstation mounted on the door of our Master Bath water closet. :grin:

We have RF remotes on the vanity table, shower (in a waterproof pouch), and in the water closet. So, thanks to the SWM, we can still watch TV while getting ready in the morning. :)