1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a solution to keep remote handy

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Tomsoundman, Sep 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tomsoundman

Tomsoundman Godfather/Supporter

Jun 17, 2002
    Need to physically attach a TV remote to TV like at a store so no one "runs off" with remote at my church. Looking for something inexpensive because we need about 10. Any ideas? Have'nt found any in parts catalogs.

2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    A number of possible solutions come to mind, but I think we need to know how and where you use the remotes. Is your a/v gear accessible to the general congregation, or is it in a sound booth?

That a churchgoer would do this is amazing to me, but then I have always expected a little more from those who call themselves 'Christian'.

Perhaps your minister could deliver a sermon on the commandment "Thou shall not steal (covet, take, usurp, lift, swipe, pocket or permanently borrow)." :)

3. Tomsoundman

Jun 17, 2002
    Used in nursery rooms. Kids can watch videos or adults can watch the church service on CCTV. Some TV/VCRs require remotes to do some basic functions so we have to keep them handy.

A little off track here but: Kids tear up remotes, chew on them, eat batteries (ha ha, kidding), etc. Adults don't steal but misplace remotes.

Thanks, any suggestions on the ideas?

4. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I don't really see why anyone except the adult leaders needs to have access to the remotes. Just keep them somewhat hidden. Any particular reasons why this wouldn't work?

5. Tomsoundman

Jun 17, 2002
    The adults just forget, it's just not a priority for them. They start with good intentions...

The trustees asked me to try to find a solution.

6. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    thin Bungi cord from Home Depot would be perfect. You can attach one end to the TV Rack, and the other end to the Remote. You may have to be creative on how to get the cord to stick to the remote (maybe put some pastic over the cord and crazy glue the plastic to the remote?)

Except now the remote is a potential projectile. Perhaps a thin metal pull chain (like use for pulling the lamp on or off) or something like that.

7. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    clear plastic zip-lock bags - keeps remotes clean & discourages misplacement. Write on plastic w/sharpie.

8. jrjcd

jrjcd Arcane Movie Trivia King DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    staple gun????

9. MarkA

Mar 23, 2002
    The problem with ANY solution that involves tying it with a cord or rope or chain is that kids could use it to hurt each other. I don't even see why you need the remotes to be accessable to ANYONE in daily use? Only in setup.

10. Tomsoundman

Jun 17, 2002
    The TVs are ceiling mounted, far away from kids. No one is going to hang themselves, Zac. When power goes off on some, you need the remote to press tv/vcr because they are some cheap, crazy brand that I've never heard of. I mentioned in a post above that the remotes were needed.

Just forget it, getting tired of explaining everything...

11. Frapp

Frapp Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Maybe a better class of christians ?
    :lol: :confused: :rolleyes: ;) :p :eek: :D :shrug: :hi:

12. Rick_EE

Rick_EE Godfather

Apr 5, 2002
    Maybe try going to your local TV store and ask them what they use and where they get it.

13. Tomsoundman

Jun 17, 2002
    Thank you Rick, I will.

14. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    You might try retractable pet leashes, or even the retractable leashes that are used for small children. Considering the way this thread has been going, let me say that yes, my wife and I have used one of these with one of our children, especially when we were at places like the Grand Canyon. Other parents were very envious. :D
    I am not sure just how you would attach them, but if that can be figured out it should give you about the right length, as long as you don't have people just letting go of the remote and cracking them on the TV.

15. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    How about a Xantech wall mounted controller for the television. It needs wiring (and purchasing) but would eliminate the problem of disappearing remotes and can be customized to the television.

16. MarkA

Mar 23, 2002
    I think Rking's solution sounds ideal. It's amazing you need the remote for such a basic function!

17. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I have a VCR in my office on which I have not been able to adjust the tracking for five or six years. At that time the remote "walked" away. (My theory is that it somehow fell into a wastebasket and was thrown away by mistake.) This is no problem for programs recorded on the same VCR, but is a problem for tapes recorded on other machines. Replacement remotes do not include the tracking function. That is why it is in my office and not anywhere it gets much use.

18. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    The only problem I see with this solution is that the source I found prices these out at over $200 per. Times ten runs to about $1900 dollars more than my church would be willing to pay. I agree this would be a great solution, but Tom started out asking for something inexpensive.

19. navy8ball

navy8ball Legend/Supporter

Mar 23, 2002
    i use stick on velcro for mine just like on enterprise.

20. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Duct Tape? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.