1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking for info on sunday ticket blackout rules

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by gib4500, Sep 16, 2011.

1. gib4500

gib4500 AllStar

Apr 11, 2004
    I have the sunday ticket and i get my locals from from the wheeling wv dma. Here is my problem, I certanly understand them wanting me to watch my local games on the local channels. However fox and abc are not in high def in my dma yet. I noticed i was blacked out last week of the game on sunday ticket that was on my local fox station. The game on the local fox station was so blurry it was rediculous because it's still in standard def. I was just wondering what the rules were in a situation like that. To me the fair thing to do was allow the hd of fox on sunday ticket becuase otherwise i would have no access to the hd game. Instead it is basically unwatchable on sd fox. Thanks for any help or info.

2. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    The feed on ST does not carry your local commercials.

That is the reason it is blacked out.... to protect local market advertising.

Sorry to say, there is no consideration for the HD / SD argument.

3. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    this is a change over the past three years.. prior to that, you COULD watch the Directv feed instead of your local channel.. and in my opinion , its STUPID with a capital STU, so that you are forced to watch your local SD channel. you are paying for the right to the game.. you should have THE RIGHT to watch the game the way you want it.. and not because some cheap , 40 watt powered local channel wants you to hear about henry's strawberry batch and worm farm.. if they want to be real channel owners, make them upgrade to real world channel broadcasts..

Honestly to this day , I still don't think that my local CBS channel even broadcasts in stereo.. because the cost is "too high".. much less Hd.. its digital but , I don't know if its HD.. because the format is way too new.. and too expensive to process..

4. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    bjlc,

We do not have the "RIGHT" to anything when it comes to television.

We get what we get for free over the air. And that is whatever those OTA stations decide to give us. We have no "RIGHT" to anything more.

And we have the option to pay for what is on offer through either cable or satellite.

What they offer has nothing to do with "RIGHTS".

When you buy ST, you are paying for the "RIGHT" to watch out of market games not shown on your local network affiliate. That is what is on offer, nothing more.

You say:
    <<<if they want to be real channel owners, make them upgrade to real world channel broadcasts..>>>

The government grants OTA licenses. Your issue is with them. Best of luck with that.

5. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    This didn't start 3 years ago. It started the first year I had ST in 2003 if not before. Further, you really need to learn the difference between right and privilege. This would go a long way to solving many of your hostilities. The only and I mean only people I have ever felt bad for are those who pay (like me) who miss part of their teams game or a game you really want to see because:

A.) it's supposed to air on the local affiliate late and the early game runs over it's allotted time or the network goes to bonus coverage of an early game that isn't over by the late game start.

B.) The game is on the local affiliate but runs late and gets cut out because the local team us starting play.

C.) the game is local, turns into a blowout, the network switches to a more competitive one and it remains blacked out on ST.

Are there any other scenarios in which us paying subs get screwed like this that I missed? I think I got them all.

6. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    bjlc,

You do have the right, but it takes a lot of work. You need to buy the TV station or start your own. Get enough backing to get the affiliation you want and get the games.

Unfortunately, the small DMAs have no money for brand new equipment. I had friends at a couple of stations--new meant used from a bigger station. HD meant the basic equipment the network provided to pass through HD.

Cheers,
    Tom

7. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    The network or local affiliate don't control the game they air by and large, the NFL and I assume MLB & NHL do. The station can ask for a certain game but many times they are rejected (see: Orlando, Fl). Just because he owns a station doesn't mean he gets to choose the game his local people see.

8. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    True, but by owning the station, bjlc would be able to ensure that the locally shown game would be HD with full HD sound. If it isn't the game he wants, he can watch the game on NFL-ST. :)

Cheers,
    Tom

9. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    Ok, I see what you're saying. I thought you meant he could choose the game his station airs.

10. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    But he'd have no one to complain about. :)

11. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    well I will tell you this.. the I live on the Wisconsin/ Minnesota border.. and today the Detroit game against Kc was blacked out.. go ahead and explain that one..
    not within 600 miles from me.. but we do have a direct flight to detroit now.. may be we the plane brings in the signal..

12. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    It was on your local channel.

http://www.the506.com/nflmaps/2011/wk2.html

13. jsquash

jsquash Legend

Apr 10, 2007

Games were not blackedout on Sunday Ticket for me until 2 or 3 years ago as well. I used to watch Packer games in hd on Sunday Ticket before our local fox was carried by D* in hd.

14. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    Ah, you've identified another part of the complex rules. If your local station is not carried by DIRECTV, it is not considered for blackout. (Or at least that was the case. I think it is still true, but the NFL has been known to tighten up a bit.)

Cheers,
    Tom

15. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
  16. jsquash

jsquash Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    That would make sense, to bad all the other blackout rules dont. :lol:

17. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    Generally, I can understand the NFL blackout rules. I'm starting to disagree with the NFL about the ToGo rules requiring I carry a portable TV and my iPhone to events in case my team is playing locally.

Now, when it comes to the MLB rules... forget it. It is beyond human comprehension. And weakens the value of the game. :)

Cheers,
    Tom

18. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    I lived in Dothan, Alabama in 2005. Their locals were not on D* but while Fox games would be carried on ST (I think), CBS's did not. You still had to watch via local antenna in order to see them.

19. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    It seemed to vary by market, but, yeah, same here.

20. scoop8

scoop8 Godfather

Jul 18, 2009
    Dallas TX
    That's the truth. E=MC2 is easier to understand than MLB's blackout policies.

NFL seems mostly straightforward with theirs.