1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking into Hopper and Joeys

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by spikor, Oct 11, 2012.

1. spikor

spikor AllStar

Aug 11, 2008
    Looking into Hopper and Joeys. I have 6 HDTVs. What woould be the setup Hoppers vs Joeys to get Programming to all 6 TV's ( Prefer all 6 feeds to be HD BUT all 6 does not have to be HD ) and for a future question IF not answered in my Question above what is the Max you can go on Hoppers and Joeys. Is it like 1 Hopper and 3 Joeys so that will be 4 Tv's and 2 Hoppers will be 6 Joeys to go to 8 Tv's Total is that right? Just Wondering what is the Max you can go on Hoppers and Joeys for Tv's? In case more TV's will get added in the Future and what kind of Pricing it would be / will be. I have Top 250 Right now with Locals Huntington/ Charleston Wva. and Starz/Encore What would 6 TV's be now and add ons in the future? IF I am asking too much Sorry....Just asking some questions trying to get an Idea.
    ( Also right now there is no Add on for OTA right now ? How far is that from being able from doing this ? I might have to wait until this happens I prefer the Add on for Cincinnati Ohio and Lexington Ky Locals)

2. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    2 Hoppers and 4 Joeys would give you the six tuners and six tv's, and I believe that is your max. Joeys can access either Hopper for tuner or recording and each Hopper can access the dvr/PTAT recordings from the other. Pricing would be AT250 = $69.99 + Starz $13.00, Dvr = $10.00 + 5 additional receivers @ $7.00 each brings you total to $123.99 + tx. Not sure what you upfront cost would be (PM a Dirt member to help you on that), any additional Hoppers/Joeys would probably need to purchased. OTA is not yet available, but should be soon, I believe the price on it may be $30.

3. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Honestly, with that many TV's, I'd look at DirecTV or cable. One tuner per TV is pretty tight. That gives you no extra tuners for recording and watching at the same time.

But the number of TVs doesn't tell the whole story. What matters is what's the max number watching different live TV programs simultaneously. If that's rarely all 6, then 2 Hoppers / 4 Joeys will work fine. And if some TV's are very rarely used, no need to pay $7/month for those. Just share a tuner with another TV.

4. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I have a two Hopper/4 Joey configuration, which works quite well. One Hopper has PTAT enabled. The biggest problem with this configuration is determining the best location for the 2 Hoppers and then determining the assignment for the Joeys. Having all six TV's in use, watching live TV, is an unlikely situation.

5. komondor

komondor Mentor

Jul 23, 2011
    The cost difference monthly between the 2 (Joey/Hopper ) is really pretty small all do HD I would go 3x3 but part depends on how often you all watch shows, make sure you hardwire one unit and turn on (I can't remember what it is called) connection sharing so that all the units can get to the internet.