1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking ofr a unique remote setup

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by wingrider01, Oct 22, 2008.

1. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    Not sure where this should go...

have a very unique situation here. I am looking for a remote setup that will control both the standard Directv recievers and a flat panel TV. Problem is I need the remote to be wired.

Ideally what I am looking for is a remote that is hard wired to a control box that can be mounted in a out of the way location and have IR readers that can be installed on both the TV and the reciever to control channel changes, volume, etc.

I have a project that will involve installing 30 to 60 tv/directv recievers in a clinical hospital bed like environment with the units only having 6 feet or so between them. have tried some of the Niles Ir repeaters but sometimes get bleed over on the remote and one remote will change the channel on the 2 devices that are on each side of the orignal.

have not been able to find something like this in my searching.

2. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    Maybe you could put something sticking out from between the units to block the IR. Cardboard is cheap and would probably work.

3. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I believe niles has wall controllers that are wired. Expensive, but an option.

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Normally what is done is a head-end system (i.e., a custom cable system) is built using the satellite receivers to source the channels, and then you only need to deal with changing channels on the TV. Many hospitals already have integrated wired TV controllers built into the hospital beds.

5. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    The IR controls I am looking at are 300 each, so they are expensive also.

Will have to look at the wired wall controllers, they might be able to be adapted

6. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    Looked at that configuration, but a little to restrictive for what we want to do and provide at the bed

7. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Ya, I dont have any specifics besides a friend of mine had a house wired for niles equipment with individual controllers in each room that were hard wired remotes for audio/video.

8. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    it would almost have to be heavy cardboard. My IR sensor sees right through heavy kraft tape

9. Noresults

Noresults Mentor

Aug 25, 2007