1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to switch from TW to DTV!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by maverick22, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Jan 5, 2011 #1 of 23
    maverick22

maverick22 Mentor

Jan 5, 2011
    I live in south Dallas.

The main reason being sports (well mainly basketball) looks pretty bad compared to D*TV. My father has a similar TV, and basketball looks great on DTV! I get back home with a new 55" TV and was disappointed with how TW looked.

I'm going to have a real simple setup (just 2 HD set top boxes--non DVRs). I have looked into it and it appears that the first 12 months will be about $38.99. After that $68.99 (kinda high IMO) + taxes.

I'm not sure 100% if I'm going to switch (I think TW is giving me a discount now that I threatened to switch). Anyways, I'm not sure whether to keep my TW Internet or switch to AT&T Uverse and try to bundle with DirecTV.

Right now I'm paying $100 after taxes with Time Warner for 2HD boxes (no DVR) and I think like 6Mbps Internet. I think if I went with DTV that would be the $68.99 + taxes + $45.99 and taxes = about $130. I don't know if it's worth the extra $30/month.

I am happy with TW's HD content other than sports. Is DTVs picture quality that much better than TW's? Is Uverse ATT that much better than TW's Internet?

Please help in this decision! It's much appreciated!

2. Jan 5, 2011 #2 of 23
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    :welcome_s to DBSTalk!

I think a lot of your questions would be hard for us to answer, because we don't know what the particulars are of your home system. I will tell you that DIRECTV's picture quality for HD is considered to be one of the best since they switched over to MPEG-4 encoding. Standard def stuff isn't necessarily great but then again do you really care?

3. Jan 5, 2011 #3 of 23
    maverick22

maverick22 Mentor

Jan 5, 2011
    Thanks for the welcome and quick response. I have no HT audio system. Just a 55" Sammy LED hooked directly to TW's cable box via HDMI.

I don't watch SD TV. I'm just concerned about HD content. Like I said, with the exception of sports, I'm actually quite satisfied with TW's HD content.

DTV basketball just looks MUCH better. TW has many artifacts/blurriness in the background during games. Some games almost look like SD when they're in HD ha ha.

4. Jan 5, 2011 #4 of 23
    maverick22

maverick22 Mentor

Jan 5, 2011
    Also I'm wondering how much rain affects signal with DTV. I have no trees, and we do not get much rain at all in Texas. My parents (who also live in Texas) do have trees, and even though it hardly rains, when it does rain their signal is affected.

I would hate for my signal to be affected with slight rain or wind.

5. Jan 5, 2011 #5 of 23
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I would think you'd have pretty good signal in your part of the country. I'm not the best one to ask but I never have rain fade, ever.

6. Jan 5, 2011 #6 of 23
    maverick22

maverick22 Mentor

Jan 5, 2011
    Good to know, Stuart. Thank you!

7. Jan 5, 2011 #7 of 23
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    You don't say where in Texas you're located so all I can say is in the Austin area, DirecTV's HD PQ beats TWC hands down. From what I've seen at folks homes with TWC is way too much macroblocking, especially when lots of movement on the screen.

As for rain fade, yes it will happen when it's either raining buckets at your location or if between your dish and the satellite there's a cloud mass that's loaded with a lot of moisture. I've had times with no rain at the home but I look to the south and it's pitch black from the clouds. When either instance occurs the outage is from a couple minutes to maybe 10/15, depending on how bad it is.

If you go with DirecTV I'd recommend that you consider going with the Whole Home DVR feature with one HD DVR and one HD receiver. Yes this will cost you a bit more for DVR service and WHDVR but it GREATLY increases your odds of getting the new HR24/H24 receivers. Also getting the HD DVR now will allow you to use DirecTV Cinema (On Demand) with your internet connection, can't do that if no HD DVR. Plus if you went with a HD DVR later it would cost you $99 to $199, get it as a new customer it's free.

Don't forget, if you get a referral from a current DirecTV customer you'll also say $10/month for 10 months, just make sure you follow the rebate instructions to the letter else it will be rejected.

8. Jan 5, 2011 #8 of 23
    maverick22

maverick22 Mentor

Jan 5, 2011
    I mentioned south Dallas.

Yes, I'll mention my parents as referrals. Great info, thank you! Yes the "macroblocking" must be the artifacts during basketball games. Just looks bad IMO. Everything else (well non sports) looks good with TW though.

I will consider the DVR. I just want to keep costs down though as much as I can after those first year savings. Also, I work a lot and probably wouldn't even have much time to watch what I've recorded. Ha ha. Thank you very much for your suggestions though!

9. Jan 5, 2011 #9 of 23
    maverick22

maverick22 Mentor

Jan 5, 2011
    One thing I would miss about Time Warner is you don't need a set top box. You can just plug the coax straight to the wall. So..if I get DTV, and uninstall Time Warner, is there a chance (crosses fingers) that those outlets will still work?

Reason being is I have a fitness room with a small 26" TV. I have no need for HD on that. Would love to just keep it plugged in and not have to get a receiver for it.

10. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Sorry, missed the south Dallas part.

If you keep TWC for internet that rate usually will go up about $10, at least it did when I had them for just internet. You might want to check Earthlink.Net, they use to be able to market TWC cable internet under their brand and they didn't have the no cable TV surcharge that RoadRunner has.

11. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    No, you need a receiver for each TV, no just plug the cable in.

An alternative is you an get an RF modulator for one of those DirecTV boxes and run a coax cable from there to that TV and use an RF remote control to control the DirecTV box in the other room.

12. humanjas

humanjas Cool Member

Dec 11, 2009

fyi... ATT does not let you bundle Uverse with DirecTV. They want to sell you their TV.

13. maverick22

maverick22 Mentor

Jan 5, 2011
    So if I get DTV there's no chance that small TV in my fitness room will work anymore? Does TW actually come out to the house and "disable" that coax outlet? Sorry for not using technical terms.

I was thinking maybe I could just go to TW and return their equipment, and possibly keep my small TV in the fitness room running off their old coax outlet. :confused:

14. maverick22

maverick22 Mentor

Jan 5, 2011
    Ah, thanks for letting me know that. Well, I guess that was only $5 savings anyways right? I could still get Uverse internet alone--separate from DTV--just without any bundle savings.

Can anyone compare TW's internet to ATT's Uverse? Say they happen to sell the same speed at the same price--is one better than the other?

Thanks!

15. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    If you cancel TWC TV service there is a good chance they'll come out and install a trap on the line going to your home which block the TV channels but leaves the internet working.

16. maverick22

maverick22 Mentor

Jan 5, 2011
    Ok...makes sense. I don't know whether to keep TW Internet or go with Uverse Internet.

I'm even confused about whether or not to go with D*TV. I've been asking co-workers and they say great things about Uverse. They say they don't notice any "artifacts/blocks" in the background during basketball.

I don't know what to do :confused:

17. skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17 Godfather

Jun 23, 2010
    I can come in and speak of the quality.

Having recently switched to DirecTV from TWC I can tell you the HD picture quality is a LITTLE better than Time Warner's. However, the SD picture quality is not as good but who cares about SD anyway?

As far as HD content, my local TWC had more national HD channels but I have had enough of their crappy cable boxes and that's why I switched. If DirecTV could just come to an agreement with AMC then it would be a lot better in my opinion, that's about all I miss from Time Warner Cable.

I also switched because I thought I would be saving money but honestly I'm not, if anything I'm a little paying more. It's hard to stay if I'll stay after the contract is over.

18. maverick22

maverick22 Mentor

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't watch AMC, so that's no big deal. I don't watch standard def either.

I know switching to D*Tv is going to be more expensive, but it might be worth it for good pic quality for sports!

Thanks for your input.

19. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I'm near Dallas & have first hand experience with our TWC & DIRECTV. I've had them both simultaneously & DIRECTV has much better PQ. You won't be disappointed.

20. maverick22

maverick22 Mentor

Jan 5, 2011
    Are you speaking in terms of sports or just all around better pic quality? Time Warner actually seems great IMO for HD TV shows. Sports just sucks!

Who'd you get internet from?

thanks