1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to Switch to Dish

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by scarylibrary23, Sep 19, 2009.

1. scarylibrary23

scarylibrary23 Legend

Jul 31, 2008
    I'm seriously thinking about switching to dish. I called dish today I have a no deposit but have to pay 148 bucks for 45 days in advance programming charge. Dont know exactly what is in the charge. Does any one know. Im picking the classic gold package. Thanks.

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Dish has a couple of new programs for folks with bad credit and/or no credit.

The DHA TOO promotion allows you to lease equipment and get the intro programming deals, but you have to pay for your programming up-front. This is for folks whose credit doesn't qualify for normal "pay at the end of the month" status. 2 year commitment required.

Then there is the Flex TV promo, for folks who decline to give out any SSN infor. Flex requires customers to buy their receivers, no intro programming discounts, but no commitment. These customers must also pay for programming in advance. Flex replaces the older "pre-paid" Dish programs, and allows for advanced programming (HD, DVRs, etc.)

3. scarylibrary23

scarylibrary23 Legend

Jul 31, 2008
    that's wierd. I never had to pay for anything up front with directv.

4. scarylibrary23

scarylibrary23 Legend

Jul 31, 2008
    if i pay this charge will i get a regular bill after that?

5. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    DISH isn't D* it is a different corporation with different rules. Take it or leave it.
    Second question I expect you will go onto the regular billing cycle but the best answer is call DISH and get their official answer. With the sketchy information you have provided all we can do is guess at how DISH is setting you up.:)

6. scarylibrary23

scarylibrary23 Legend

Jul 31, 2008
    I already called them and was told no deposit but have to pay 147 dollars for programming and installation fees. Just wondering if any one could break it down for me.

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Only DISH can break it down for you. The program is very new and apparently there aren't many here with experience in using the program.

8. STEELERSRULE

STEELERSRULE AllStar

Apr 3, 2007
    Your info is still too limited.

1. What package are looking at that you want? HD? DVR?

2. Do you have credit problems, and are being forced into a prepaid situation, or you just don't want to bound into a contract? If you have good credit, you can sign up, and just be a regulary billed customer, with no contract.

3. How many tv's are you looking too connect?

9. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This sounds like bad information. While the term "contract" may not be used, it is replaced with the term "commitment" which involves a very similar condition.

10. scarylibrary23

scarylibrary23 Legend

Jul 31, 2008
    I'm looking for 4 tv setup with dvr for two of them and no hd. I want the classic gold package. My credit is fair to good condition. Basically I can a new car loan but cant get a new house loan.

11. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Like your phone and ISP, Dish bills for service in advance.

Say your monthly bill is $100 a month - and assume there were no costs associated with establishing your new service.

Your first month's bill would be for $200 - $100 for thye current month and $100 in advance for the up-coming month.

12. paja

paja Godfather

Oct 22, 2006
    One word about switching to DISH-DON'T!;)

13. scarylibrary23

scarylibrary23 Legend

Jul 31, 2008
    why is that? Directv wont let me add an additional receiver without an 70 charge. I pay my bills on time and been with them for a few years. they said sorrie only for new customers do you get them free.

14. scarylibrary23

scarylibrary23 Legend

Jul 31, 2008
    I see the package i want is 47.99. so two charges of that plus an installation charge. And the dvr charge. I see where it could be 147 dollars.

15. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    This is also true with Dish as well so make sure you think long term about equipment needs.

16. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    OK, you said Classic Gold 250. 250 + locals + DVR is $67.99 a month. $15 off for 12 months makes it $52.99. $5 for an additional receiver makes it $57.99 a month for the 12 months. That doesn't add up, you're not getting a second DVR or any HD, so no equipment costs. Maybe a $5 TV2 fee, but only one, so $62.99 a month total. Wonder if you went through a sales partner that charged you $25 to build the order?