DBSTalk Forum banner

Looking to update my receiver....

737 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  BattleZone 
#1 ·
Not sure if this is the right forum to be asking, so I apologize if it isn't. I just assumed it would be the closest as these will probably be one of the receivers I will get. :)

I currently have a 522 and want to update it, but am utterly clueless as to which one. We are currently under no contract and know if we 'Dish it up" it will be another 2 years (not a problem).

Question is, which receiver? My wants/needs: We will have 2 TV's hooked up and we currently don't have HDTV (but will in a few years or so), 90 hrs of recording not enough on our 522, so which one of the receivers can record more or is capable of adding on the external HD (for $3x.xx). I have read their descriptions on the site and am unsure as to which one I should get.

I would appreciate any and all advice. I don't like calling because I can never understand the thick accented people I end up with. :confused: TIA :D

#3 ·
Either a 722 or 722K would serve you well. IF you do a lot of watching/recording from OTA you might be interested in the 722K since the optional add-on OTA tuner is actually 2 tuners... which means up to 4 simultaneous recordings.

IF OTA is not as big a deal in your house, then a 722 will be fine and it does come with 1 integrated OTA tuner anyway.

If you're considering the external archive add-on, then it isn't as big a deal but the 722K might have a larger hard drive in it. Either 722/722K has a larger hard drive than the 622 though.. so at least try for a 722 in any case.

#4 ·
Currently, the only DVRs that support an EHD are the 622/722/722k HD-DVRs. The potential problem is that you'd have to either pay for the HD package, or pay an HD fee ($7/month) for having an HD receiver with no HD package, so your monthly payment will go up. Only you can decide if it's worth doing that.

It may help that these receivers offer additional features that aren't found in other receivers, such as Download-On-Demand (if you hook it up to the Internet).

A 625 has quite a bit more recording time (the only real difference from the 522), but doesn't support an EHD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.