1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to upgrade to Genie, a couple of questons/clarifications

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by wchittenden, Jun 2, 2013.

1. wchittenden

wchittenden New Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Hi,

I have been a long-time member of DBSTalk but haven't visited in quite a while. I am currently looking at upgrading to the Genie and 2 or 3 clients. Here is my current setup:

HR 20-700 in the Living room

HR 22-100 in the Master Bedroom

R15-300 in the kid's playroom (hooked to the only non-HDTV in the house).

Whole-Home DVR Service - The HR 20 and the HR 22 are both connected to a TrendNet TEW 680 MB 450 Mbps Wireless N Media Bridge with a 4 port switch via Ethernet cables.
    The wireless bridge connects to the router, a Netgear WNDR3700. The R15 is obviously not a part of the whole-home system.

Slimline Dish - The dish is 7 years old, so I am guessing it is not a SWM. The 4 lines coming out of the dish connect to a Zinwell WB68 multi-switch with 6 lines going out (2 to each of the three receivers).

I am looking at replacing the HR20 or HR22 with the Genie (any advice on which to keep?), replacing the R15 with a Genie Client, and adding two additional Genie Clients for two other rooms.

Am I correct in understanding that the Genie Clients must be connected via RG6? (At BestBuy the other day, a DirecTV "expert" told me they were wireless.)

What, if any, changes will I need to have made to my network setup for the Whole-Home DVR to continue to work? Will everything in my proposed setup work as together?

Thank you in advance for any insights you can provide.

2. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Genie clients such as C41's are connected via coax.
    RG6 is the way to go. There is real crappy RG59 in walls from builders.
    If you have a tech install the Genie and client they will take care of whatever wiring is necessary.

BestBuy guy may have been confused with GenieGO clients, they are wireless like a tablet. GenieGO is the new name for Nomad.

I'd keep the HR20 because it has built in OTA if you ever need it.

3. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    New D* marketing is very suggestive..not hard to believe 'wireless'. It has been causing a small amount of confusion. Plus, the BestBuy people are trained by other BestBuy people..

IMHO, keep the HR22 (some say the HR20, it's up to you)..the Genie's ethernet port can be used without losing Whole Home capability. On the other hand, the tech will set up the CCK with adapter to connect to your router. Call DirecTV at 800-531-5000 to see if you qualify for free or discounted upgrade, as well as install charges.

You'll have SWiM8 setup with your receiver list.

-=K=-

4. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I say keep the HR20, if it "breaks" DirecTV will replace (if replaced by CSR, you get to keep it) with another HDDVR

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

5. maccur

maccur Mentor

Dec 6, 2005
    Sorry to piggyback, but I'm kind of in the same boat in considering a move to Genie. I have HR21 and HR22 DVRs. Will I lose mediashare, as it actually works for me in my living room. Would I also lose DirecTV2pc, as this also works for me, surprisingly.

Thanks for any feedback.