1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looks like the FCC has slapped Echostars hand

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by RAD, Jul 31, 2010.

1. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
  2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    God (and the FCC) forbid that Charlie should plan ahead! :eek:

Life is speculative.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    That's good move, the mentioned company did too much to hostile Clark belt last years.

4. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I really don't understand how Charlie could find himself running afoul of the FCC and becoming subject to enforcement actions. It is the one federal agency he should be making nice with.

Oh, that's right...Dish sues FCC over PBS-HD requirement.:rolleyes:

5. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Man his lawyers are getting some money with all these lawsuits he has going on.

6. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Corp Lawyers, they get paid rather the do something or not. So why not make them work.
    Granted, making nice and doing right by the FCC, makes a LOT MORE F'in SENSE!!!!!!

7. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    What the heck are they going to do with a C band satellite anyway, Add a Rain Fade Proof arc to the Eastern and Western KU arcs? Free installation and up to 4 receivers...includes a 6 foot dish on your roof for a small additional fee.

8. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Probably just hoping to block out the competition, just like many believe the "Spectrum Auction" high-bidders are trying to do.
    God Forbid somebody would offer another service that might compete, especially if they broadcast something for free!

9. Dave

Dave Icon

Jan 28, 2003
    The point being from the FCC's side. If you want all these licenses then build the sat's and quit wasting our time on maybes, could be, or well one day.
    Charlie cut his teeth on C band delivery and set ups. But as the FCC says. You have 5 licenses for Sat's that don't exist right now. Speculating is one thing, anticipating growth is one thing. But building the product is something else entirely.

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Echostar is bigger than the DISH Network DBS service. Note the business use of 121 and ViP distribution service. They are a major player beyond DBS.

It is a shame that the milestones were missed and (whatever they are calling themselves) can't get a waiver from the law. If they had not surrendered the licenses they probably would not have to fall within the limits. But too many licenses not built shows that they have overextended themselves.

I don't believe they were trying to block others out ... they just have business plans bigger than DBS. (Although I believe some of the surrendered licenses were "reverse DBS" that could have been used to extend the DISH Network service.)

11. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    My local cable company gets their content via c-band from echostar.

12. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Almost all cable and satellite companys receive there signals via C-Band. Some signals do come via fiber.

13. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    While Im not going to contest your statement, since I have no facts on your cable system, from scanning the satellites on C band, most of the "cable channels" are sent to cableco's via SES's AMC sats and Hughes (now Intelsat) Galaxy Sats. They do co-own a satellite with Intelsat, but dont use the C band portion, so Im curious what satellite your cableco is getting the programming from, or are they just retransmitting the DISH channels from DISH?

I actually wish some company WOULD offer up a medium to high power C band DBS service, using mpeg4, to compete with DirecTv and Dish. It would be nice to be able to just have a fair priced service with no rain fade, and satellite not overloaded with regional sports and PPV.

14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Here is a look at Echostar's distribution system ...
    http://www.echostarviptv.com/IPTVSolution.aspx (This particular distribution is via AMC16 Ku at 85.)

Since the FCC is considering DISH and Echostar the same company despite the ownership lines that DISH and Echostar draws between the companies. (The FCC cares more about who controls the companies than boardroom deals ... and the ownership control of the companies are roughly the same.)

I don't fault DISH/Echostar from wanting to do more on C-Band. I disagree with the "hoarding" claim ... I believe they legitimately want more satellite room for commercial distribution. The issue here is the licenses that they have failed to build and have missed deadlines on. They have met a regulatory limit for number of unbuilt licenses - and because some of those were lost the FCC is no longer giving them a waiver.

DISH/Echostar just need to catch up and make sure they don't forfeit any more licenses.

15. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Ok, looks like an interesting solution for small cableco's and motels, but its still KU band. I was curious what C band satellite they were using? Maybe, they wanted to use this C band application to mirror this VIP Ku so the Florida hotels wouldnt lose signal every afternoon when it rains?

Even if the FCC is wrong, and could have fudged by offering a waiver... Im sure the fact Echostar is sueing them might have crossed their mind in the decision ;)

16. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It is hard to disprove a conspiracy theory. There is always someone who wants to keep on believing. :rolleyes:

Read the decision. The waivers were common practice. DISH/Echostar simply got to a point where they had too many incompletes.

17. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008

I don't know what satellite it comes from either. They are retransmitting dish channels. We used the service about 5 years ago; whenever there was a problem with the receiver you would see the echostar error messages on the screen.

They have what looks like a 12' dish and about 70 receivers in a small building next to, and modulate the outputs over the cable system.

This is a very small municipal cable system w/ about 1200 subscribers.

18. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    While that is factually true, the FCC staff is rather busy. Yet coincidentally, they just now found a need to resolve this discrepancy.

It really doesn't take a conspiracy. If you are pushing your luck with a bureaucracy's rules, it isn't smart to sue that same bureaucracy for the sole purpose of preventing enforcement of another rule, particularly one that targets you particularly and that Congress just put in place with considerable fanfare.

Of course, it probably is just coincidence.