1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Loose Cable Connection On Dish

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by acostapimps, Jan 25, 2013.

1. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Ever since they install my directv service I would get rain fade or snow fade with little rain or small amount of snow, which at first I thought was tree branches covering the dish, so I cut several branches to see if it would improve but still the same result, and my second thought would be dish needed realigning which I had my doubt, so I grab a latter and started looking around on the dish but looks okay to me, maybe lnb but nah I don't think so, of course my very first thought was signal issues but all was good in that front, so started feeling around the cables on the dish and felt somewhat the cable end not really tighten enough, so after tighten the cables up there on the dish, then waited for the next big rain and to my surprise even on small rain no issues, then started raining harder still no issues with small rain fade here or there but nothing major, So anybody that really have bad rain fade issues and have good signal levels, I would check for loose connection around the dish or multiswitch for that matter first before calling CSR for issues.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Good advice. It's one of the first things we recommend checking.

3. davejacobson

davejacobson Legend

Mar 14, 2005
    There is a torque specification for tightening the connectors. There even is a tiny torque wrench you can use. Ill probably get flamed for even suggesting but I always tighten with a wrench.Its a delicate touch.There is a fine line between tight enough and breaking something so you have to be careful.

4. cwtech

cwtech Mentor

Oct 12, 2012
    I would also like to through this out and get some clarifaction, is your system a legacy system or a swm system. I have seen the loose connector issue more with swm than i have a legacy system.

5. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    legacy system SL5 Dish, Zinwell WB68 Muliswitch connected to 3 receivers (HR24,HR22,H24)