1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Loose wire on pole mount

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by soetart, May 1, 2013.

1. soetart

soetart AllStar

May 25, 2007
    A couple of days ago I noticed a loose wire hanging from the pole mount of my satellite dish. The only way I can think that this wire got loose was that it was severed / extracted by my landscaper who did work here last Friday. To me it appears to be a grounding wire of some kind.

I am attaching a couple of pictures of the wire, my question is, is this something I can simply rebury in the ground or does the wire appear damaged / severed and I should get a replacement? If a replacement is needed, what type of wire is this and where can I get it?

Any help would be appreciated,
    Bill

Attached Files:

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I dont see the other "end" of the wire. Looks like it was a "fake" ground

3. soetart

soetart AllStar

May 25, 2007
    Didn't search close enough in the ground yet to see if the other end was in the ground and the wire was severed or just a fake. Sounds like you think it was a fake to begin with. If I wanted to replace it with a real ground, what kind of wire would I need and where could I find installation info?

Thanks

4. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    You would need to get a SIngle RG6 SCC with "messenger" or ground wire attached. Also note that the screw is not not an "approved" ground "device" you would need to use a galvanized ground strap to be up to "code"

5. satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy New Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Cleveland
    NEC code requires a Flat surface for the ground at the pole and since the old way we used to do it was screw in a green ground lug into the pole and attach the messenger wire........... I find it funny how they worded it because they didn't want a round surface to be under the messenger wire like the pole itself , yet the messenger wire is ROUND lol. Anyways I just flatten a little dent in the pole to make it flat and still use the ground lugs like before....... Only because the rule states it must be a flat surface. It doesn't state you HAVE to use a galvanized strap............ Funny stuff though they keep changing it.........

SIG

6. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    To me that looks like the #17 ground wire that has been pulled away from the cable.