1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lord of the Rings on Blue-Ray or HD

Discussion in 'The Movies' started by TVisgoodforyou, Nov 29, 2007.

1. TVisgoodforyou

TVisgoodforyou New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    When are the Lord of the Rings movies going to be released in Blue Ray or even HD?

The movies look great on DVD but I want them in 1080p!

I saw some post for 11/23/2007 but that turned out to be a hoax.

2. jwebb1970

jwebb1970 Legend

Oct 3, 2007
    No word yet, although as a New Line release (division of Time Warner), they'd be dual format if released today.

3. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I just checked over on highdefdigest.com, and they don't show the series as planned currently in either format.

4. DBS Commando

DBS Commando Godfather

Apr 6, 2006
    Kind of funny how the big name movies such as Star Wars and LOTR haven't chosen a format to support yet.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It was the same thing with Star Wars on DVD.

6. elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA

I guess that would depend on your definition of "big name". There are certainly a lot of high-grossing and or high-selling films on both formats. Close Encounters of the Third Kind would almost HAVE to be considered a big name....and it's on HiDef.

Transformers, while not everyone's cup of tea, certainly made a splash this summer...and it's on HiDef.

All the major studios, and a few of the minors have picked either one or both formats, and are producing catalog titles in HiDef.

On the other hand......

As of 11/30 there are only 361 Blu-Ray titles released with an additional 57 announced and 352 HD-DVD titles released with an additional 44 titles announced (includes HD-DVD/DVD combo discs) That's a grand total of 814 potential HiDef titles compared to 80,237 available DVD titles.

So certainly not much market penetration, yet. But the studios are putting out a fairly good mix of blockbuster, catalog, and niche interest titles in HiDef.

Now, if there wasn't a format war going on, we'd probably see a LOT more titles released/announced..........

7. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    New line isn't going to release LotR on any high-def format while they're still arguing with Peter Jackson over how many *DVDs* were sold.

8. jwebb1970

jwebb1970 Legend

Oct 3, 2007
    I believe that is the definitive answer to the "why" question.

9. ocnier

ocnier Godfather

May 8, 2003
    Then it will never get released.