1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Los Angeles Area Setup For New Customer

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by moolman, Sep 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moolman

moolman New Member

Sep 24, 2005
    Hi folks,
    I read through a lot of posts for the past week, did searches for terms like los angeles, must carry, dish 1000 etc. I did all the research I could and now I must ask some questions. I usually try not to ask and use the search function as much as possible but I've hit the wall.

I live specifically in Glendale, CA, just north of Los Angeles.

I decided to sign up for dish network and I'm doing some crazy special I saw online where you get $12 back a month by mail in rebate every month, really inconvinient but it's better than nothing and the cheap person that I am, I'm going to send for it every month for the 1 year I get it.

I'm getting HD and DVR service, so I decided to buy the 942 which they will sell me for $250.

From what I gather I would need 2 dishes to also pick up VOOM HD, which cost an extra $100 for the extra dish. Being that I am in LA, 3 local channels are on a different satallite, these locals are some far flung channels that nobody watches, are these channels must carry, can I ask for a 2nd dish saying I want those channels even though they are remote stations that serve the LA area. Then I would try to repoint it to 61.5 to get VOOM HD.

Does LA need a Dish 1000? I'd probably get the 500 right.

Any tips and suggestions would be appreciated on setup or what I should get or ask for. Thanks for your time.

Alex

2. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    :welcome_s

First off.. Voom is only on 61.5 right now so you need to be able to have a clear line of sight. This for some is not possible in SoCal. I am one of them. Make sure you can get clear line of sight. In SoCal 61.5 is almost horizonatal line of sight.

I am in LA and have a two Dish 500s. One point at 110, 119 and the other at 148 for Japan Network. You don't need a Dish 1000 for LA.

What 3 locals are you talking about? I am not aware that 3 locals are on a different Sat. I dont think LA is a two Dish solution for must carry, but I could be wrong.

Are you plan on going OTA into your 942. I would suggest it if you have a clear line of sight to Mt. Wilson. Locals in HD are a must have and there are a lot of content from just OTA.

I use a channel master to get my OTA in Orange County and I am very happy with it. I believe it is a 4228.

3. moolman

moolman New Member

Sep 24, 2005
    Thanks for the answers,

The 3 channels I was referring to are 23, 63, and 64 which are on 148 but I doubt those are must carrys. After reading your comment about trying to pick up 61.5, I think it may be pointless of me to get it. They are telling me I can get VOOM but will probably say I can't at install.

I live on a street next to the Verdugo Hills on the East side. I believe Mt Wilson is on the opposite side of that mountain. The guy at Circuit city told me Mt Wilson is Southeast of me but it's more like east, if I'm understanding where Mt Wilson is.

Antannaeweb says I don't get any digital channels. From what I gather, the only HD local channel I would get is CBS right? since I can't go OTA. Right now I have using a internal antennae bought at Target with 10db amplification and I don't get a signal, barely channel 7 comes out so I assume that mean I SOL for the HD channels since the mountain to the east of me is blocking me.

I may have to reconsider getting HD then since ESPN HD may be hard to justify spending $250 for the box and another $10 a month for.

Thanks for your thoughts. Do you know if cable companies carry local HD content? My local cable is Charter. I was going with Dish because it was a bit cheaper with that crazy monthly rebate thing and the free month they have been offering.

Alex

4. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Since you are blocked and can't get OTA HD, I would look at your cable options. Not sure what Charter has to offer in your area. Hmm the fact that you can see the analog 7 channel with snow has some promise but of antennaweb.org says no luck then most likely you wan't get it. Odds are against picking it up and definitely not with an indoor antenna.. The test I was told to do was to point a rabbit ears of a small old TV set and set your TV to channel 52 UHF. If you got a picture even snowy then you have a good chance at getting OTA HD. That is what I did before doing anything.

As to Locals. Yes at this time CBS for DIsh is the only one you would get. Not sure about Direct or your local Cable company. Something to look into before spending a lot of cash.

Lots of changes coming in terms of Dish and HD so this is a temporary situation. You might be better off going with cable on a lease deal and re-evaluating your options in 10 months.

5. moolman

moolman New Member

Sep 24, 2005
    Hi,
    Thanks for all the answers, you taught me a lot about what to get. I guess few questions would be, in your opinion is it worth paying the $250 to get the 942 knowing full well that a MPEG-4 reciever would come out eventually, I would be stuck in a contract for 18 months and would not be able to upgrade until then, if it did come out.

And finally, the channel 52 thing, well, previously I stated that channel 7-abc comes out fuzzy on my indoor 10dbi amped antennae, well channel 52 comes out in full color and decently clean it's the best channel that I get. What does that mean? that I can get HD. It's some spanish channel BTW. And I'm using a new TV, not an old one. :)

Alex

6. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Untrue. I've got two customers getting their V* from 129 via Dish1000 right now - including a member of this board (HDJunky).

It's not "official" until Sept. 27th, but HDJunky has had it since the 19th - if I remember correctly (it's late). Whatever the date of the "First Customer Dish1000" thread says. :)

7. moolman

moolman New Member

Sep 24, 2005
    I forgot to ask, Directv gives an option to buy a OTA for $50 and I guess they install it for it for you. Does Dish have the same option?

Alex

8. rbyers

rbyers Godfather

Jan 14, 2004
    I also live in Glendale, about a mile west of Montrose. I do get all of the OTA channels quite well with a rooftop antenna. If you can see Wilson from your house, you should be good to go. I've had mixed results with rabbit ears ... even the new little "directional" indoor antennas.

With a little help from SimpleSimon, I was able to move my 2nd dish from pointing at 148 to pointing at 129. I now have VOOM as well as the rest of the HD package. Thats somewhere around 18 or 20 channels. I've lost count. I did have to tell the DISH csr guy that I was pointing at 61.5 (a lie) in order to subscribe to VOOM.

The DISH 1000 should let you get 110,119, and 129 with a single dish antenna. That beats having two separate dishes like I have.

9. moolman

moolman New Member

Sep 24, 2005
    rbyers, I have no idea which mountain is wilson but because I live west of a hill/mountain and mt wilson is to the east of us, I have a feeling HD OTA won't be available, to narrow my location down. I live on Verdugo Rd, north about 6 blocks north of Glendale College, cross street is Wabasso. There's that mountain/hill on the right side of Verdugo Rd. That blocks Mt Wilson right?

Alex

10. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Voom *IS* available at 129° right now

The official launch date is this Wednesday, but it is available this moment. This has been announced on the most recent retailer chat.

In LA, a Dish 1000 and a second dish at 148 will get all the English and Spanish language programming available on Dish.

LA is a two dish city to get all the local channels. See http://ekb.dbstalk.com/19 for details

See ya
    Tony

11. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Well that is good news Simon. I was not aware that it was fully working on 129 and since no official announcement who knows if it will stay. Like I said in my post, the situation is temporary and I now it is going to change. Well I was hoping they would add them on 148. Guess I might have to get a Dish 1000 installed then.

Oops. just read Tony's post. I was not aware it had been official announced. Is there any VOOM deals? Like add a hear of VOOM and get and upgrade to a Dish 1000?

12. buckyp

buckyp Legend

Dec 17, 2003
    Guess I don't understand how the OTA works. I live in Ventura, way far north. I use amplified rabbit ears from Target. I get All OTA HD except CBS (which I get from E*). There is a lot more content out there than I thought. Can't believe you being that much closer than me can't get the OTA to work.

13. rbyers

rbyers Godfather

Jan 14, 2004
    OK, you may well be in the shadow of that hill. I'm sort of in the bottom of the La Crescenta Valley and have a clear shot to Mt Wilson. But folks further up the hill from me are out of luck. It's nice to live in the valley, but TV reception sort of sucks.

14. Jerry 42

Jerry 42 Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 25, 2003
    Buckup

I live in Camarillo, which also a long way from MT Wilson, while I can not get analog OTA I can get digital OTA for almost all LA channels using a roof top & amp. Moolman has a problem with analog signals he might want to check digitals.

15. asarhan

asarhan New Member

Jul 29, 2005
    First off, I would not rule out getting OTA in your area. It would be pretty easy to try using a Silver Sensor. I cannot post links yet, but you should check out the LA OTA thread on avsforum if you want more info.

Secondly, when you pay $250 for the 942, you are paying to lease the receiver -- they are not selling it to you. I just wanted to make that clear.

When it comes to the 148 dish, they will install it for free if you ask. You can get CBS HD from 148 for free as well -- make sure you ask for it. I ended up swinging the 148 dish around to 61.5 to pick up Voom and managed to get CBS HD out of NY added as well. YMMV on getting CBS HD on 61.5. You could also swing the 148 dish to 129 which will be easier to get.

As I understand it, come Wed, you can ask for the Dish 1000 if you sub to Voom. I think you will have to pay $99, though. So, you can get a 2 dish solution for free or you can get the Dish 1000 for $99.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.