1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Los Angeles Locals in HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by socal404, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. socal404

socal404 Legend

Jun 26, 2007
    Other than NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, and CW, does anyone have an idea when LA locals will be broadcast in HD? I'm specifically interested in KCAL. I'm getting upgraded to HD this Friday, and want to know what I can expect.

2. rohenk

rohenk Cool Member

Sep 24, 2007
    For now, only the above listed networks are in HD in LA. Since channels 9, 13 and a number of the PBS stations have HD signals I suspect we will get those in 2008 when the next satellite goes up.

3. VeniceDre

VeniceDre Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Apparently they have a deal in place with KCAL 9. I read this somewhere recently. That should happen shortly.

If you get an Over The Air antenna you can receive KCAL 9 HD now, and KCET 28. They are two of the strongest signals in the area.

4. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    KCAL9 (independent for those outside LA) is owned by CBS, so I can't see them not adding it soon. Especially since the Lakers telecasts are starting in the next few weeks. Their news is all HD and so are the Laker and Dodger games.

KCOP13 (My Network for those outside LA), however, is owned by Fox and they hate HD appearently. Nothing on KCOP13 is in HD. Those stupid telenovelas they tried to introduce were in HD, but that has been it. Nothing now. All Angel games were in SD.

5. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Not all stations have the equipment they need yet .. They will have to have a minimal set of equipment by February 2009 or they will go dark via OTA. I suspect that the use of HD will improve even for these hold outs as we get closer to the Analog cutoff.

6. w6fxj

w6fxj DBSTalk Club Member

Aug 10, 2005
    According to a recent telecon with the KCET Vice President in Charge of Engineering, DirecTV does not expect to carry KCET's digital signal until after the D11 satellite goes operational in the first or second quarter of 2008.

7. Tony Chick

Tony Chick Legend

Aug 24, 2006
    Where is SoCal are you?. I get all the locals here in the Valley both with a roof antenna thats been knocked out of alignment and a Radio Shack set-top antenna. You should be able to also if you have any kind of line-of-sight to Mt. Wilson.

8. dlt21

dlt21 AllStar

Sep 12, 2006
    Had heard some time back that TWC paid a hefty sum to KCAL to keep their HD signal away for Sat providers for some unknown period of time. Source is son-in-law who woks at KCBS
    Of course He also told me there was no way we could lose to Stanford!!

9. VLaslow

VLaslow Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    After KCAL lost UPN they slipped a lot. Without some real network affiliation and programs, I think they are doomed.

10. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    KCOP13 lost the UPN affiliation, not KCAL9.
    KCOP13 is now MyNetwork.
    KCAL9 is and always has been independent (KHJ9 back in the 70's and 80's), but is now owned by CBS. They were owned by Disney at one point, but never had a network affiliate.

11. MikeP

MikeP Legend

Mar 15, 2003
    KCAL 9 should definitely be in the lineup. I just heard Sacramento has 6 locals in HD.

12. doo4usc

doo4usc Legend

Oct 20, 2006
    Temecula
    What about 652 and 653, I thought Fox did all their games in HD? Watching the Ducks in SD as we speak...

13. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    No, not all. Every game at Staples is shot in HD, (all the cameras are HD) but who knows if they are planning on spending the money to show the clippers and kings in HD. However, I suspect we will get all Laker in HD. Kcal is broadcasting all the away games in HD, and I see that even the preseason games coming up on 652 are listed as HD....

As for Ducks, can't say why they wouldn't want to show off the champs in HD all the time. Then again, there OTA carrier is 56-1.... I suspect as the year goes on, more and more will be in HD as there is now a large carrier out there that carries PT in HD. I don't believe as many Cable Cos out here are broadcasting PT in HD as are FSNW.

14. doo4usc

doo4usc Legend

Oct 20, 2006
    Temecula
    Well, the Ducks are SD tonight,I'm a Kings fan anyway...Where do find listings?The program guide says nothing..Thx

15. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    http://msn.foxsports.com/name/HD

Not much for the next week.

16. muckngrind

muckngrind Mentor

Jan 4, 2007
    I think I heard at one point that Fox didn't have the bandwidth at it's main HQ to handle HD feeds from all it's regions simultaneously, so even if the game is shot in HD it may not be broadcast in HD.

I'm hoping this is not correct, since I'm sure that Fox would probably choose Poker and College Softball over hockey.

Maybe someone with more knowledge can confirm this or set me straight....

17. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Could be, not sure. But I am willing to bet that if it is true they are waiting until what they feel is the last possible minute to upgrde befre they do because thats how fox does it. Its all about their stock holders....

18. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I think we need to remember that we in Southern California are really lucky to have the HDs we have, and also that the broadcast towers are almost all in one place and that one place is at the top of a mountain. Let's not grouse too much, lest those who "have no feet" start grousing about us.

19. rjdude

rjdude Legend

Mar 8, 2005
    Yes we now have 6 HD locals in SAC DMA -- only PBS is missing from the majors. I didn't know they added MY Network (need to keep channel list up to date -- I've been focused on the national HD rollouts).

20. gully_foyle

gully_foyle Hall Of Fame

Jan 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    When KCOP was UPN, and they had a HD signal, they still showed Enterprise windowboxed in SD. The FCC should turn down Fox's next license renewal for cause.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.