1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Losing HD locals

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jammer0910, Dec 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jammer0910

jammer0910 Cool Member

Jan 24, 2007
    N.E. Oklahoma
    I have had the HR20-700 for over a year and have always had some kind of problem. Now I am at the end of my rope. I get local HD channels on Satellite and OTA. Lately when I’m viewing HD locals via dtv, the picture starts jumbling up and then the screen goes gray or black. It sometimes shows “searching for signal on Sat in 2”.
    When my HD channels from the antenna go away, it shows “searching for signal on the off-air tuner…(771)”. I checked the signal strength for the ota tuners when this happens and it is in the 25-30 range or “signal not acquired”. Normally these run in 50’s and 60’s.
    Most of the time I lose the dtv hd locals and the ota hd locals at the same time or within 10 to 30 minutes of each other. I did a red button reset and it seems to work for a while, but then when I think it’s fixed, I miss a recording or can’t view a show.
    Sometimes it goes for a day without failing, but it’s starting to happen a lot more now.

Just now, the dtv hd local channel 6 (kotv-cbs) I was watching went away and I get “searching for signal on satellite In 2…(771)” All local hd on sat. are gone. I now only get 1 ota hd station, the rest are gone also. (after about 20 minutes, I checked back to dtv local 6 and have a black screen).

Last night in the middle of the Colts game, it went away and locked up the receiver. All I could do was press the red button. It did not come back that time and I watched the local SD broadcast via dtv.
    Could it be a defective receiver?

Btw, after about 5 minutes of black screen, it is now back up

Signal levels:
    Sat 99: transp. 1-6=0; 7-32=n/a
    sat 101: Most all mid 90’s except transp. 4=29; 12=0; 18=0; 20=0; 26=0
    sat 103(a): transp. 1=0; 2=6; 3=0; 4=36; 5=97; 6=0; 7-14=n/a; 15=18; 16=0; 17=98; 18=0; 19=100; 20=0; 21=95; 22-24=0; 25-32=n/a
    sat 103(b): all in mid 90’s except 15,16,18 thru 21, 23 thru 32 which are n/a
    sat 110: 8=95; 10=97; 12=95; all others=n/a
    sat 119: 22=97; 23=98; 24=97; 25=0; 26=97; 27=97; 28=96; 29=100; 30=98; 31=56; 32=99; all others=n/a
    Looked at test channels:
    480 = 103b-band odd(13v) BBC confirmed working
    481 = 103b-band even (18v) BBC confirmed working
    490 = test 1 sat A(101) odd txp 13v
    491 = test 2 sat A(101) even txp 18v
    492 = test 3 sat B(119) odd txp 13v
    493 = test 4 sat B(119) even txp 18v
    494 = test 5 sat C(110) even txp 18v
    498 couldn’t get channel

Was professionally installed Dec. 2006
    Tulsa, Ok area
    HR20-700 software version 0x1be
    Native=on
    Have bbc’s installed on both sat inputs
    Mitsubishi WS 55809 HD 1080 series TV
    Component a/v hookup to dtv
    Outside channel master antenna
    Slimline 5 lnb dish grounded where enters home
    Tried leaving unit on for several days = no help
    Usually turn off at night = no help

Thanks in advance,
    jm

2. freddie4x4

freddie4x4 New Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Jim:

I had same problem. I had a tech come out and here's what he found:

1) The previous "professional" installer didn't put the sway bars on the dish and thus it was out of alignment. You have to have those because the dish is heavy and only has 1" of "play" to pickup satellites.

2) Previous "professional" didn't ground my system properly (electrical code violation).

3) Still couldn't get local HD's all the time, so he replaced the HR20 with an HR21.

Your signal strengths look good, but I fear your HR20 is kaput :)

Mine was.

Fred

3. Jan 1, 2008 #3 of 21
    bt-rtp

bt-rtp Icon

Dec 29, 2005
    +1, you need to have a service call to get your system checked out. When installed properly it is very reliable.

4. Jan 1, 2008 #4 of 21
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Please note the bolded parts.

IMHO, your assumption of a bad box is spot on. Your signal levels look good. It's not an alignment issue. Adding the support braces will do nothing for the OTA issue.

Check your connections to make sure they are clean & tight.

How are you getting your OTA to the box? It's own dedicated line or are you doing the BBC before the diplexor hack?

5. Jan 1, 2008 #5 of 21
    jammer0910

jammer0910 Cool Member

Jan 24, 2007
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Q: How are you getting your OTA to the box? It's own dedicated line or are you doing the BBC before the diplexor hack?

I have a seprate RG6 running from antenna to HR20. No splitters or T's anywhere.
    Dish has support braces.
    Checked the connections. All look and feel OK.
    I'm thinking of calling DTV today. Usually when I'm ready to call them, it is working.

6. Jan 1, 2008 #6 of 21
    Eric The Red

Eric The Red Mentor

Nov 6, 2007
  7. Jan 2, 2008 #7 of 21
    Rube79

Rube79 Cool Member

Dec 30, 2007
    More troubleshooting hints:
    Is your HD-dvr's power cord plugged into a surge protector? If it is then reset the protector; many times a surge goes thru and knocks it out, but it still works but provides irregular voltage and polarity. If you dont have one get one.

I have used in the past an orange 3/2 adaptor for the power, then turn it upside down. This may solve some polarity issues also.

If you do get a service call, dont have the tech just check your hddvr. The issue may be coming from another receiver and back feeding to your hddvr.

Instead of resetting the box, unplug it for 15 seconds then plug it back to the power.

When your Local Hd goes out does your National Hd go out too? This can help determine whats going on too.

Also make sure there are no staples, zip ties or bends in the line that are placing too much pressure on the coax.

How many boxes do you have too? Are they all new? Do you have a multiswitch? Is your OTA an outdoor antenna and is it Grounded???

When checking the connectors make sure no braid is touching the copper lead. This applies for any receiver, thus back feeding to your hddvr.
    Another possible issue, If you have a multi switch and the tech/yourself connected all exsisting coax to it, even the ones not being used a short may be coming from else where.

Hope this helps.

8. Jan 3, 2008 #8 of 21
    swedishcancerboi

swedishcancerboi AllStar

Sep 23, 2006
    if you haven't setup a service call yet.......

Don't call your box kaput. I've resolved this with s/w and could be simple interference from your electric. (i say simple...but....)

If the game was on channel 8, you are lucky to be getting that signal. Most people that pickup 8 successfully have a larger directional OTA. basic UHF ant. usually don't work too well, especially in sand springs. it's too far from B.A.

It honestly sounds like s/w or some interference.

If you did setup a sc, pm me the activity # (DirecTV can provide) and if I get it in time, we'll talk.

9. Jan 3, 2008 #9 of 21
    yuppers519

yuppers519 Godfather

Aug 6, 2007
    Local high-def channels in albany/schenectady/amsterdam/troy areas are now on d*

10. jammer0910

jammer0910 Cool Member

Jan 24, 2007
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Yesterday, 1/2/08, the unit would not turn on at all. I was able to get it to come on with a rbr. It worked perfectly all day and night. (recorded and watched the Stars/RedWings on 643 and recorded and watched OU/WVU football game on local 23hd via sat.) Local ota's were there too.
    I do have a surge protector and by this pm will have a UPS/with surge.
    When dtv hd's go away usually the locals(ota) will too, although mostly not at the same time.
    Have 2 boxes hooked up presently. One is RCA DRD435RH which is plain old DTV/with locals (SD) btw works great.
    Other is HR20-700
    No multiswitches that I know of, unless it's built into the Slimline dish.
    OTA antenna is grounded.

Swedishcancerboi: I haven't called for sc yet. I don't know what the s/w that you're referring to is?

Just now turned it on and everything worked great, then I lost 2 of my ota stations (6 & 8) and then got (771) on dtv hd's.
    Few minutes later, dtv hd's are working but I cannot back up live tv with remote nor turn it off.
    Reset my surge protector.
    btw, when I lose my dtv hd's, when I change channels it shows 1080 on the receiver (have native on) and shows info banner for current sta. for a few seconds.

After resetting surge protector which reset recvr. also, I get all dtv local HD's and all but one (ch 8) of my local OTA's and am able to use the remote again.

thanks, john

11. swedishcancerboi

swedishcancerboi AllStar

Sep 23, 2006
    believe it or not, some minor issues have been resolved by rbr 0-2-4-6-8 s/w download. Not always a permanent fix, but I've used it to resolve some minor glitches and hangups on some. Probably a sign that the IRD is going out.

you might want to also take into consideration some form of outside interference. take notice when it goes out if anything in your house turned on ie microwave, dishwasher, 2nd IRD, flourescent lights, furnace, blender, stereo...etc. If your system is grounded outside, unhook the damn thing, you might see an improvement.

If none of this works out, I've had to replace several boxes for similar scenarios. I'm not sure what DTV is sending out via FedEX for replacements, but we might have a couple HR20's left in the warehouse if you don't want to lose your OTA. However, if you want an HR21, let me know, setup a SC and I'll bring one out.

12. jammer0910

jammer0910 Cool Member

Jan 24, 2007
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Been out of town. I checked connections and did find a multiswitch in pull box in garage. It is Zinwell WB 68.
    I have 4 cables to dish and 3 cables to rcvrs. I guess he put the multiswitch in because I do have a tivo unit that's not hooked up as of yet and it will need two inputs.
    I will try the rbr download tomorrow as well as ungrounding the dish. Probably will take a while as it doesn't happen right away.
    Thanks again,
    John M.

13. jammer0910

jammer0910 Cool Member

Jan 24, 2007
    N.E. Oklahoma
    I finally broke down and called DTV for help. I scheduled a sc for tomorrow (1/14).
    Will let you guys know what happens.

swedishcancerboi, I sent you a pm with the activity #.

Thanks for the help.
    John

14. jammer0910

jammer0910 Cool Member

Jan 24, 2007
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Just a quick update.
    After 4 service calls, and 2 different techs (they both were very helpful and knowledgeable). The dish has been aligned, the HR20 has been changed out with 2 different HR21's, brand new cables ran all the way, new multiswitch, & new BBC's.
    The problem seems to be solved until the tech leaves. The last time (Thur 1/24), the HR21 was changed out again and it seemed to work ok.
    Sat. 1/26, recorded NHL Young All Stars Game and when went to watch it, it recorded until 0:18 then froze. When tried to FF it went to end. Did this several times and then when push FF, it asks it I want to delete or save.
    Local HD stations have only messed up twice since last visit. If it ain't broke when they get here, they can't fix it.
    Yesterday, Sun 1/27, Ch 6 (local HD) gave me the 771 message. When I turned to Ch 2 (also an HD local) it worked and then I tuned back to Ch 6 and it worked.
    Will keep an eye on it and see what happens.
    John

15. swedishcancerboi

swedishcancerboi AllStar

Sep 23, 2006
    Your house is haunted.

16. Eric The Red

Eric The Red Mentor

Nov 6, 2007
    About the only thing you haven't done is replace the LNB. I guess I'd suggest that.

17. swedishcancerboi

swedishcancerboi AllStar

Sep 23, 2006
    Did you unhook the other receiver?

18. swedishcancerboi

swedishcancerboi AllStar

Sep 23, 2006
    LNB has been replaced

19. Eric The Red

Eric The Red Mentor

Nov 6, 2007
    So basically, you have a 100% new system and still have the same problem? I don't even know what to say then... some kind of electrical interference?:confused:

20. jammer0910

jammer0910 Cool Member

Jan 24, 2007
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Yeah, it's a new system. Last Wed. the tech. changed out the LNB, grounded the dish to a house electrical ground, and placed a 3 prong adapter (3rd wire left ungrounded) on the BR rcvr to eliminate the chassis grd. (RCA DRD435RH SD rcvr).
    One or all of those things seems to have fixed it. I've had a few pixelations and yucks but have not recv'd the 771 message or had it lock up. knock on wood.
    I think Swedishcancerboi is right......The house is haunted........
    Thanks again Jack, for all your help. I'll keep a close eye on it.
    John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.