1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Losing local Fox affiliate, can I pick up a national now?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by ekgermann, Jul 25, 2011.

1. ekgermann

ekgermann Mentor

Jan 21, 2008
    Longtime D* sub, occasional poster.

We're in the Ft Wayne Indiana Market with Lima, OH as the backup ZIP code for channel guide.

Our local Fox affiliate WFFT (55) in Ft Wayne is dropping their fox affiliation on 8/1/2011, to then be carried by a sub channel of INC in Ft Wayne (33.2) OTA.

Since D* doesn't carry any of the sub channels of INC, would it be possible to bug D* for the National Fox affiliate.

We CAN get them OTA, but not all DVR's have OTA tuners on them (only two have AM21's). What's the process when their local channels drop a network that was available via DBS and only becomes available via OTA?

2. lokar

lokar Icon

Oct 7, 2006
    I wonder what's going on with Fox, our longtime affiliate here in Boise is losing their Fox affiliation next month. So now we have musical chairs of Fox going to the CW station, the CW going to a CBS subchannel and the current Fox station going independent.

3. mcrutland

mcrutland Legend

Dec 29, 2004
    I will bet you that FOX is picked up on D* even though it is a subchannel. Same setup in the Meridian, MS market (WGBC). Two HD feeds on one channel. Good luck with the compression. The picture will look crappy. Hopefully, WISE will provide a fiber optic feed of FOX to D*. That should solve any poor picture issues.

4. adkinsjm

adkinsjm Icon

Mar 25, 2003
    FOX is having a lot of disputes with its affiliates over retransmission fees and these are the first two to lose the network. Look for Bismarck-Minot's FOX affiliate to change soon as well.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/ent...all-market-affiliates-over-money-dispute.html

5. Art7220

Art7220 Godfather

Feb 4, 2004
    People like FOX? Right, Bob's Burgers. I get it now.

I wonder if this is the new normal, in which networks are hitting up their stations for money and dropping them if they don't get it. Then you'll see Direc and DN carry national net feeds for everyone, hoping that US Bell and Shaw viewers will return.

6. ekgermann

ekgermann Mentor

Jan 21, 2008
    @Art7220,

Gotta have new Family Guy ...

7. ekgermann

ekgermann Mentor

Jan 21, 2008
    @mcrutland,

I think they already have fiber in to D* for their NBC and ABC affiliates (shared facility), so hopefully that will be a no brainer.

Sad to see 55 lose their Fox affiliation. I've always been partial to them since they got me thru the Blizzard of '78 with their movie marathon as a wee little lad on a tiny generator in a cold, cold house.

8. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Fox Channel 34 will be replacing WFFT is the word I've heard.

9. jamieh1

jamieh1 Hall Of Fame

May 1, 2003
    Here in my market, our CW affiliate is a sub channel of CBS. Directv carries this sub channel. They also carry another subchannel of ours from PBS.
    So there is a chance they will pick up your sub channel.

Here is our local line up.

WITN NBC HD 7
    WNCT CBS HD 9
    WCTI ABC HD 12
    WYDO FOX HD 14
    WNCT-DT2 CW SD 15(sub)
    WUNK UNC/PBS HD 25
    WUNK-DT2 UNC/PBS SD 25.2 (sub)

10. dogs31

dogs31 Godfather

Feb 27, 2006
    And the sad thing is that the current CW station isn't broadcasting in HD on Directv. I am wondering will they upgrade their facilities since FOX is requiring KNIN to broadcast in HD.

11. tulanejosh

tulanejosh Godfather

May 23, 2008
    The way i understand it - if you can recieve a channel OTA, it doesn't matter that Directv doesn't offer it, you won't be eligible for DNS.

12. lokar

lokar Icon

Oct 7, 2006
    KNIN has broadcast in HD for several years now, but only OTA.

13. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    That is sort of ****ty really..... what exactly determines whether you can receive it? You can live inside a OTA area, but not receive anything because there is a big building next door (but none towards the southern sky).

14. tulanejosh

tulanejosh Godfather

May 23, 2008
    so again... the way i understand it, they have this map that shows signal strength, and if you are within an area that has adequate signal strength, you aren't going to get a waiver from the local station to allow you to get a distant network out of LA or NY. It wouldn't matter whether your personal living situation - i.e. your apartment example - prohibits you from actually receiving that signal. You are in the ring of goodness so to speak, and that's what matters.

It's not Directv's decision. You have to get a waiver from the local station in order to allow Directv to give you an LA or NY station. And the station won't give it to you if you are within a strong signal zone. It's an FCC thing meant to protect local broadcasters.

I've personally had no experience with this, so don't shoot the messenger here, but this is what i've gathered from reading other similar posts and threads.

15. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    :D

16. dogs31

dogs31 Godfather

Feb 27, 2006

Then why have they not provided an HD link to Directv. They provide a HD link to Cable One.

17. lokar

lokar Icon

Oct 7, 2006
    Since satellite companies and local stations work out carriage between themselves, I would guess KNIN wanted more for their HD signal than D* was willing to spend, probably since KNIN's only HD programming was CW shows 2 hours a day. I would bet D* will pay up once they switch to Fox.
    On a somewhat related note, I learned that the reason D* shows a hideous center cut of 4-2 PBS HD here in addition to the SD 4-1 PBS is because PBS told them to show two channels in SD instead of one in HD. PBS here obviously doesn't care about HD, since they even downres the 1080i signal to 720p for their HD OTA channel.