1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Losing satellites on 1 DVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by njmurvin, Nov 7, 2011.

1. njmurvin

njmurvin Legend

Oct 17, 2006
    Need help troubleshooting. I have 2 DVRs hanging off the same dish. Pretty standard install and both DVRs are within 30ft of the dish. My oldest HR20 (grey one) has, for the third time in a couple of weeks, lost the satellite connection. I turn it on (wake it up) and am greeted with the blue screen stating that it can't see the sat (on channel 2 CBS and 4 NBC). Red button reset or soft reset both seem to get it back up and running. The other DVR (black HR21) connected to that dish has never had this happen.

I'm leaning toward the DVR since the other DVR doesn't exhibit the problem. I thought there might be something going on with the dish. But, a reset of the receiver wouldn't fix it if that were the case.

Thoughts?

2. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Swap the locations of the two DVR's.
    If problem follows the DVR, its the DVR.

If problem stays in same location, its wiring or connections.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    HR20 has known issue with overheating sat tuner chips and failing on that - after NR4P's verification, call and swap it

4. njmurvin

njmurvin Legend

Oct 17, 2006
    All good advice. I will do it. I'd kinda like to swap out the HR20 anyway. Its hard drive has been noisy for awhile.