1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loss of MRV on One DVR Reset Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by mlabjr, Jul 19, 2010.

1. mlabjr

mlabjr New Member

Aug 23, 2008
    I've had MRV up and running fine for a couple of weeks and everything on the install looks right. Last night I found one of my DVR's (4 total) could not see any of the others nor could the others see it. I checked my router and it could see all 4 DVR's.

I tried a reset on the problem DVR and the same thing. I reset one of the other DVR's (the other 3 could all see each other before this reset) and it can now see the one it couldn't see, but not the other two (could see before reset).

The particular DVR that was lost had accidentally been powered down recently (I suspect this is when it stopped being seen). So it appears to me based on one DVR being reset I now have to go to all my DVR's to get them all to see each other. Does this make sense to anyone? Doesn't seem right that if I take one out of the loop by powering down I should have to reset the rest when I bring it back on to be seen.

Let me know what you think or whether there is a better way then a reset to get them all back into the MRV loop. Thanks for the help.

2. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The service should generally be more reliable than that, but there are occasions when problems come up.

How are you connected - DECA or Home Networking? If home networking is it wired?

3. mlabjr

mlabjr New Member

Aug 23, 2008
    DECA w/Internet connection. Internet connection done the right way (made them come back) with separate ps and coax connection back to splitter.

4. VirginiaSlim

VirginiaSlim New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    I just had my MRV set up this past weekend. I noticed that one of the DVRs "knocked itself" offline. I read a couple posts, and learned what DECA is. I believe it happend because I still have my powerline setup, and DECA going to my DVRs. Am I right? Also, I have noticed that the playback from one of my networked DVRs wasn't smooth at all. I resembled a dirty DVD playback...but only for HD content. I understand HD uses more bandwith, but does my powerline connections have something to do with it?

5. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    If you have MRV and a H24 or HR24, there should be nothing connected to the network (cat5) jack on the back panel of the receiver. If you have an older receiver with the white DECA module, there should be a short cat5 cable from the DECA module to the network jack on the back panel.

:)

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Try resetting your entire system. Use the Menu Reset to start a reset of each of your receviers. When they get to the point that they shut down completely, but right before they power back up, pull the plug on them. Also, pull the power on your SWiM, your Internet DECA, and your router. Then boot up the router, the Internet DECA, your SWiM, and your receivers in that order. Wait for one receiver to fully boot up and confirm it sees the other before moving onto another.

If you are using DECA for MRV then your Powerline is only used for Internet PPV and VOD. It will have no effect on your MRV playback. Are you actually using DECA? If so, as stated, you should have no ethernet cable going to any H24/HR24 and a small ethernet cable and coax cable coming from a DECA unit for any other receiver that is used with MRV.

- Merg

- Merg

7. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    If you have DIRECTV install MRV for you, they would have either made sure you had an Hx24 or added a white DECA module to your existing receiver. These take the place of your previous network setup.

8. john18

john18 Active Member

Nov 21, 2006
    I have a general question regarding that, specifically the SWiM. My SWiM switch (green label w/ 4 outputs) is outside the house in a box with all the cable connections for my house. ** If ** I ever had these kinds of problems how do I power down the SWiM?

9. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Are you sure that 4-output "switch" you are referring to isn't really a splitter? It sounds like you may have a SWiM LNB meaning the "SWiM" part is up as part of the dish with one cable coming down to a splitter that is in a convenient location for you (and the installer).

The power inserter will be connected to the power-passing port on that splitter (denoted by a solid line on the labeling). It's most likely physically located near one of your receivers, but not necessarily. So "powering down" is done my simply unplugging this power inserter.

10. john18

john18 Active Member

Nov 21, 2006
    Yes, it's a splitter. I have DECA at two DVR's and at the computer, where there is a PI. Is that what I would need to unplug?

11. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    There is one PI for the DECA module and you have another PI somewhere for the SWiM. It may even be near the DECA for your computer, but is probably near one of your DVRs. I guess another possibility is in a 4th location since the splitter has 4 outputs, the power for the SWiM may be on a leg by itself, with the two DVRs on two of the remaining three and the broadband DECA on the last port.

12. mlabjr

mlabjr New Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Hello Merg,

I do not need to reset everything because I know if I just reset each box they will all be seen again by each other (have done 3 already and everything is fine). I'm just checking if there is a better solution then to reset all the boxes if and when this happens. It just sounds like a lot of resetting just because one DVR powered down.

I'm sure over time they will get these things to find each other without all this resetting going on. Thanks for the help!

13. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I was just recommending a solution for when you cannot get all DVR's to see each other.

- Merg

14. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I would also advise you to get a cheap ups (if you don't have one...I didn't read every post), and that will prevent the boxes from going down (one box for each device). These are really a good idea for a DVR (as you won't miss recordings then either), and they do an excellent job of protecting against surges.

15. VirginiaSlim

VirginiaSlim New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Has anyone had any luck having an external hard drive connected to a receiver, when using MVR? The playback from basically all my receiver isn't smooth at all.

16. spunkyvision

spunkyvision Godfather

Oct 12, 2006
    7 out of my 8 hd dvrs (6 hr24s, 1 hr20 and 1 hr1) have an external drive connected to them and they playback without problems.

17. VirginiaSlim

VirginiaSlim New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Have you experienced any "clunky" playback from your networked DVRs...when you first got set up? The installer told me it should take a day or two for everything to play smoothly.

18. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    He was pulling your leg.

19. spunkyvision

spunkyvision Godfather

Oct 12, 2006
    No I just have issues with some machines not seeing each other occasionally. The playback has been extremely smooth.

20. VirginiaSlim

VirginiaSlim New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    I tried resetting my system twice...per the instructions from an earlier post in Thai thread. I discovered that I did not have a modem connected to the SWiM device. Do I need one?