1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loss of signal after disconnecting a MRV unit

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by FFreer, Sep 29, 2010.

1. FFreer

FFreer New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Hello,

Long time DirecTV customer first time poster.

I've had MRV with two HR20-700 since shortly after it became available and have no issues. We are refinishing our floors and have had to do some disconnects recently.

When the uppermost floor was being worked upon I disconnected the coax cable from my internet router in my home office. This did not cause any problems except for loss of on-demand which I expected. I have not reconnected this yet.

Yesterday I disconnected my L/R HR20-700 so the L/R floors may be installed.

Now my F/R unit reports a 721 error; Off-The-Air locals work but no satellite channels. After I reset it there is no guide, no channels (even if I manually enter an OTA channel. I can only play List recordings.

I assume this disconnect was caused by disconnecting one of my two DVRs. Is that correct? If I reconnect my 2nd L/R DVR to my home office coax could I expect restoration of service to my F/R DVR? It would take some doing to get an HD monitor attached in my office but would try if it has any chance of working. It will be at least next Wed before I can reset up my L/R.

TIA - Fred

2. FFreer

FFreer New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    I discovered in another thread that I need a 75 ohm terminator on my unused jacks. I suspect this may be my problem. I'll report back once I get some terminators.

3. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    True. Remember also that you should terminate the open coax when removing a receiver temporarily. You could use a coax barrel-splicer & terminator or terminate at the splitter.

4. skidadesert79

skidadesert79 AllStar

Sep 17, 2008
    :welcome_s

Great question. Hope it works out for you.

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    When you use the terminator, if you can, try to put it on at the splitter where the cable first starts its run as opposed to at the end of the cable run.

- Merg

6. FFreer

FFreer New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    I've resolved the problem. I gave the wrong error # in my initial message. It was a (771A) error which after carefully reading of more info I realized my mistake. I didn't realize the power supply was required. I restored the power supply and the 2nd box then terminated the open jack - bingo service was restored. I assume there is something installed outside of the house which requires power.

Thanks to all of you who replied.

7. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    Correct; sorry I didn't pick up on that earlier.

8. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    That shouldn't matter, since a 75 ohm termination at the end of a long 75 ohm cable still looks like 75 ohms and won't cause a reflection from that splitter port.

The SWM.