1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loss Signal: Bad weather or other problem

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by 311Man, Oct 29, 2011.

1. 311Man

311Man Godfather

Oct 20, 2007
    As many are aware a snow storm is heading up the east coast. This morning I lost sat signal and later went out and brushed the snow off the dish and feedhorns. When this has happened before it always came back. This time nothing and signals show 0 on signal meter. Snow is still falling but lighter than before could it be another issue. Have two receivers and both show the same thing.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    This storm is producing wet, heavy snow. Signal is probably being blocked by storm clouds.

3. 311Man

311Man Godfather

Oct 20, 2007
    Thanks. That sucks though all the hockey games on tonight :mad:

4. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I know how you feel. Due to changing weather patterns where I live I've experienced a higher then normal percentage of rain fade this year.

5. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Lost my signal a couple of hours ago. Haven't been outside to see if it's snow build-up on the dish or not, but this is the first ever time I've lost signal from snow, either on the dish or in the atmosphere. Of course, this isn't exactly your run-of-the-mill snow storm, either. ;)

6. mws192

mws192 Godfather

Jun 17, 2010
    Mine's been out for about six hours. I just tried watching something on the DVR and while it plays, I have a large, annoying "Your access card has expired" message on screen that I can't get off. I'm not sure if I should risk resetting it or if I should just try to ignore it for the rest of the night.

Edit: it is also causing the screensaver to show up even while something is playing.

7. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Mine came back sometime in the last hour. I was watching recorded content and when it was over, signal was back. Either the snow slid off the dish, or it was caused by the storm cloud cover.

8. awblackmon

awblackmon Legend

May 20, 2009
    Last winter in Boise was the first time I had lost signal to snow fall. We usually have dry snow, but last winter it was very wet. As an installer I recommend to people that they have the dish installed where they can reach it with a long handled something to brush off the snow. Often people want the dish installed way at the peak of their roof. I got several calls wanting me to climb up and brush off the snow. :( I usually try to talk them out of such silliness.

9. 311Man

311Man Godfather

Oct 20, 2007
    I have my dish on the side of the house near the roof line. I bought a 23 foot extension pole from home depot and have used that to knock the snow off. Works great most times but this time issue was with snow cover in atmosphere.

10. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    It's the amount of water particles in the air. Wet heavy snow in the right position is the worst.

11. springsteen75

springsteen75 New Member

Oct 18, 2011
    From DTV Q&A section --

Does the signal go out in bad weather?
    DIRECTV delivers a clear digital-quality signal. Our state-of-the-art equipment is extremely reliable, day and night. On very rare occasions, severe weather conditions may interrupt a signal for a moment, but the clear and crisp picture you're used to always returns very quickly.

LIE,LIE,LIE. Lost my signal for 4 hours!!!!

12. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    The storm we had this weekend was the first time I have ever lost signal due to snow. I'll lose it for a few minutes during a bad summer thunderstorm, but never from snow. But then again, this weekend's storm was far from a normal snow storm.

13. tvropro

tvropro AllStar

Nov 3, 2010
    Ku and Ka band will go down it is a fact of life. The heavy moisture in the clouds cause scatter of the signal that attenuates the signal 30 db or more. Direct can be out for minutes or hours depending on what is blocking the signal and the length it is there.

14. rrdirectsr

rrdirectsr Legend

Jan 30, 2011
    You may also have an allignment issue that could be adding to the snow issue. You may want to check your readings when you have good weather to rule it out. I've had both DTV and DISH and the longest I have lost signal was 11 minutes on HD during a heavy thunderstorm.

15. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    If you lost signal for length of time I'd get out a broom and clean off the dish. :)

16. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Your new so let me enlighten you. DirecTV's idea of "soon" and "quickly" are a little different then what you have been accustomed to.

17. Huskie_2009

Huskie_2009 Icon

Jan 12, 2009
    Mine has been installed on the peak of the roof since we first got D* back in 1990s. Couldn't put it lower due to the number of trees we have around us.

After the first snow storm dumped a bunch of snow and ice on the dish and lnb, I bought a big Super Soaker. Now all I have to do is fill it with hot tap water and shoot the dish. Works every time. Neighbor, who has his mounted to his chimney 3 stories high, takes his ladder out and hoses it down.