1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Lost 1/2 of My Hard Drive Space

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Tecmo SB Guy, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Feb 5, 2013 #1 of 13
    Tecmo SB Guy

Tecmo SB Guy Legend

Sep 27, 2007
    For anyone here who's a computer expert or anyone else for that matter, I have a situation I'd like to run by you guys and maybe somebody has an answer for this.

Anyways, I have a desktop. It has 2 partitions. Each partition has about 250 GB of space.

The computer crashed and so I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled the operating system (it's Windows Vista. The desktop is about 6 years old).

When I did that, I only got 1 partition back. The other 250 GB partition disappeared. So I essentially lost half my hard drive space.

What do you guys think happened and do you guys think it's a hardware problem or software problem?

And how can I get that other partition back?

2. Feb 5, 2013 #2 of 13
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    If you run diskmgmt.msc from the start menu, does it show up there without a drive letter assigned?

3. Feb 5, 2013 #3 of 13
    4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    Did you reformat the whole drive or just the system partition? How was it partitioned, in two primary partitions, or one primary containing two logical partitions? Was the 2nd partition encrypted?

4. Feb 5, 2013 #4 of 13
    Tecmo SB Guy

Tecmo SB Guy Legend

Sep 27, 2007
    Okay just ran it.

No it didn't show up there. Does that mean it's a hardware problem?

The whole drive.

Actually, it was originally 3 partitions. The 2 partitions with the available hard drive space and 1 small recovery partition. When I did the system recovery, the small recovery partition and 1 partition with all the programs and some available hard drive space showed up. The 3rd partition was gone.

No.

5. Feb 5, 2013 #5 of 13
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    So you only see the 250gb? You aren't seeing the other in unallocated space, or anything?

6. Feb 5, 2013 #6 of 13
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    need pictures:
    - BIOS setup
    - Disk Management

7. Feb 6, 2013 #7 of 13
    philtec

philtec Cool Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Phila PA
  8. Feb 6, 2013 #8 of 13
    Tecmo SB Guy

Tecmo SB Guy Legend

Sep 27, 2007
    No.

I uploaded the Disk Management. How do I see the BIOS setup?

Thanks, I'll try that.

There's a 3rd partition for the Recovery. I didn't mention it for simplicities sake.

Attached Files:

9. Feb 6, 2013 #9 of 13
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    when booting press F10 button or Delete - check your PC manual.

10. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    ...that partition is definitely blown away. Partition Manager may be able to find it.

11. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Check out EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition. You can resize and recover partitions with it. It's free and works very well.

- Merg

12. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Here's an excerpt from Windows Secrets newsletter I get. This came in today. Note the use of EaseUS. This person was able to recover they're partition completely. Check it out as The MERG suggested!

Help found in Windows Secrets' archives
     Saturday, I wrote you of my external disk's problem with lost data. Yesterday, I was able to ascertain that the data space I had lost had been turned into unallocated disk space. This was, of course, even more disconcerting, but now I had a better search term available to me. I used it to search Windows Secrets and generate a series of articles.
    In one of Fred Langa's pieces, I found a pointer to a free disk partition recovery tool, EaseUS Partition Recovery. I downloaded and installed it and cranked it up. Its fast version produced no results, but its complete version, which took some 10 hours to finish, found my data storage partition. I was able to restore that partition with all of the desired data intact. It wasn't able to find my system backup partition, but I was able to convert the remaining unallocated space into a new partition into which I immediately poured a new system backup.
    Bottom line is that my external disk problem has been resolved, thanks to Windows Secrets, Fred Langa, and EaseUS Partition Recovery. I still don't understand why the Acer box did what it did when I tried to store a copy of its recovery partition to my external drive, but I have decided to try to get around it using the Windows 8 version of the Windows 7 file backup, which seems to work exactly like the Windows 7 backup utility. Accept my sincere thanks. — Rick Ketchum

13. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Just to be clear... EASEUS has two products. Partition Master and Partition Recovery. Partition Recovery is great for the cases where a partition has been deleted and needs to be recovered. Partition Master is great for the cases where you want to adjust partition sizes, move them around, and add or delete partitions.

In the OP's case, it looks like he wants to create one large data partition instead of having two smaller ones. In that case, I would use the Partition Master application.

- Merg