1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Lost caller ID on HR24-500

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bullitt, Aug 30, 2011.

1. bullitt

bullitt Legend

Apr 26, 2002
    For 2nd time in two weeks I've lost Caller ID on my 24-500. It was out about a week ago and then restored. Its now out again, anyone else?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    First thing to try is resetting the HR24.

Do you have DSL internet? Are DSL filters installed on the HR24's phone jack?

3. majikmarker

majikmarker AllStar

Feb 27, 2005
    Arlington, WA
    Mine is currently working on my HR24 but I have had issues with Caller ID. It works for a month or two and then it disappears for no apparent reason. Only thing that brings it back is a menu reset.

Chalked it up to another minor annoyance with the box and when it disappears and I start to miss it, I have to reboot.

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I have the same problem with my HR24-500. Caller ID comes and goes. Also had the same problem when I had a HR22-100.

5. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    Sorry OP that's the way the 24-500 rides.

;)

6. lyradd

lyradd Legend

Mar 20, 2006
    I have a new HR24/500 and the caller ID stopped working after one day. Started working again after a reset.

7. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    I have a H23-600 and a H24 both lost caller for a few days and then back on doing nothing. May be the phone company doing a update? They turn off ID to do it.

8. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Both my HR20-700's have been intermittent from day one (5 yrs), thought they were made that way:)

9. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    I have 3 HR24-500s and two HR22-100 (HR22-100 Suck by the way!)...

The pathetic HR22s both work fine with caller ID.
    One HR24 works, one sometimes works and one never works.
    It's not the phone line or company because if I shuffle the receiver locations the same boxes have the same trouble.

I just chalk it up to another 'low priority' problem that will be addresed sometime in 2016 after no one has land lines anymore.

10. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Yes, my CallerID has just stopped working recently and I just Rebooted the HR24-500 and now CallerID is working as it should. :)

11. DonDeAgo

DonDeAgo Mentor

Jun 3, 2008
    I have DSL Internet service and for the past two years or so I have been trying to get my caller ID to work on my DVR receivers. Just yesterday someone suggested I hook up two DSL filters in line to my receivers and that did the job for me.

12. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Wow, sorry it took so long to figure out. With current DSL technology, you have to use a DSL filter at every jack you connect to a device that uses a phone line. Its been this way since the beginning of normal residential DSL AFAIK.

13. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Haven't had DSL in years but when i did I had a "whole home" filter of some sort that mounted on the demarc where my lines came in. I had seen it discussed on Broadband forum and got it off eBay for like $15. Worked great. IIRC it had output jack for the DSL modem and the main line passed through it precluding the need for filters on each line.

I think it was this or something like it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DSL-POTS-Fi...80781635533?pt=PCC_Modems&hash=item2a176cd7cd

14. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It may not be as obvious in some installs. Some DSL modems have a phone jack built in and is automatically filtered.

15. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    It still ends up being the exact same scenario, every phone jack is now DSL-filtered whether you have the filter at each jack or a whole house version at the demarc.

16. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon DBSTalk Club

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    My apologies for resurrecting this old thread.

But I've also got a new HR24/500 whose CallerID display quit after only a few days. I've just reset the unit, but won't know if the CallerID works until somebody calls :).

I don't currently have DSL, but I have had it in the past on this line. I probably have a handful of old DSL filters around here somewhere. Is there any point in trying to find them if we don't currently have DSL service?

17. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    For those DSL subscribers that have Century Link as their provider, did you know that Century Link has a CID application that comes across the internet and a phone line hook up to the DVR is not needed. The application actually shows up as the last line item when you hit menu. Just click on it and you can get history and several other features. Incomming calls actually appear before the phone rings. To enable it you need to have a functioning Network Services and then call into Century Link and have them turn it on on their end. If you have more than one receiver, make sure each receiver has a different network service set of addresses.

note: Once the CL app is enabled, the DTV provided CID icon disappears from the feature list of icons

18. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    I wouldn't bother. If you've already verified your lines are grounded really well, then you just have to chalk it up to a bad caller ID implementation in the 24-500's. Like you've probably seen in this thread, they'll work for an hour or day or maybe even a week after a reset. Then they'll just stop. The only way to get it back is another reboot. It's a shame, because it was a feature I really liked on my DTV receivers going all the way back to my RCA's.

19. tritch

tritch Legend

Jan 15, 2008
    Porter, TX
    +1. Caller ID on this model is unreliable. The only model I've ever had trouble with.

See this thread: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=207868

20. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Yep, don't bother.... I have one that works as it should, one that works sometimes and one that never works. All HR24-500s. Phone line and/or grounding isn't the problem because if I move them around the caller ID trouble follows the receiver.

It is very difficult to get something as high-tech as caller ID to work! Not!:confused:

I think it just comes down to that DirecTV doesn't really care if caller ID works... It is so far down the list we'll all have died of old age before they get around to fixing it.