1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost channels after dish removel to replace roof

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by bluegst, Apr 24, 2010.

1. bluegst

bluegst New Member

Apr 24, 2010
    2 days ago I had a new roof put on the house. The roofers removed the dish and reinstalled it in exactly the same location. Well, maybe NOT!!
    I only receive some HD channels (including locals) and nothing else.
    When I go to the Installation menu and check switch it says everything is OK for 119, 110, 129. When I get system info, i get red X's for 119 and 110 and a yellow bar for the 129 sat.
    I contacted Dish and they want $95 to come out and fine tune it.. that is ridiculous... Can anyone help?
    My receiver is a ViP722 DVR-HD with software version L625.

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The chances of your roofers plumbing the mast and reaiming the dish properly is about 0%. That's why they are roofers and not satellite installers.

Your dish needs to be re-setup properly. It sounds like it's kind of close, so you might be able to do it yourself with a cell phone and a second person inside watching the meters. Otherwise, you need to have Dish come out.

The $95 should be looked at as part of the cost of the new roof.

3. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    :welcome_s

It may need some tweaking or it may need to be essentially re-aimed - almost a new dish install. You can sign up for the Dish Service Plan and may save on the service call, but technically dish removal and replacement by others is not covered.

If you're comfortable on your roof and can see or hear the signal meter screen, someone here can explain what you need to do. Since your HD locals are all you can see, we need to know what locals you get other than "Central Illinois."

Or you can bite the bullet and add $95 to your reroof cost.

4. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    We had a new roof installed in January. The insurance adjuster included $150 for adjustment of satellite dishes. As it turned out, the roofers did a great job of reinstalling both dishes and I haven't had any problems. I was surprised, to say the least.

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah, I hate to say it... but I agree. It isn't Dish's fault that you replaced the roof... and they have to pay the guy to come out and re-do the install to make it work again... so charging for service in this case seems perfectly fair and understandable to me.

That said...

I wonder if they reconnected everything correctly? In addition to alignment changes, and the highly doubtful possibility that they exactly put the dishes back where they originally were on the old roof... they may or may not have re-connected the cables properly.

You might want to check connections, if you can get to them... and also if you have a switch like a DPP44 that also has a power inserter, you might try unplugging the receiver AND the power inserter to let the switch power-down... then plug everything up.

Another thing is to try disconnecting your SAT from the receiver and run a checkswitch... then re-connect and run another check switch.

6. Larry the satellite guy

Larry the satellite guy Cool Member

Mar 26, 2007
    being a tech for 6 yrs and now a contractor i can give you a few options,aiming yourself is one like they said.but the easier is call dish tell them you want the home protection plan.they will add 5.99 to your bill.then tell them you have no signal.DO NOT MENTION THE ROOF!!!!give them the error code from the screen.and go thru all their ridiculious tests,they will then send out a tech for 15 instead of 95.within 30 days cancel the home protection plan.,so you do not get re-billed the 5.99 for the next month.there is no term on the home protection,canceling it won't hurt you.

7. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    And pay a $25 cancellation fee now...

Just because that's the way lots of people did - put the DHPP for 1 item, then cancel..

8. Dishcomm

Dishcomm AllStar

Jan 30, 2009
    why is it ridiculous? What makes you think you can, BY YOUR CHOICE, have your dish removed and replaced by unqualified people then demand someone who IS qualified remount your dish free of charge?

9. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    This would be why I have that very first line in my sig...

10. VDP07

VDP07 Godfather

Feb 22, 2006

11. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007

12. beavis

beavis Icon

Jun 8, 2005
    Service/Trouble calls & existing customer installs are both $15 with the Service Plan. No need to omit information to try to pay less.

13. bluegst

bluegst New Member

Apr 24, 2010
    thanks for all your help. a friend of a friend came over and spent 5 minutes on the roof re-aiming it and everything works fine now. I gave him $20 for his trouble. And YES, ridiculous to have to pay $95 to have Dish come and do it when for 4 years I never made a service call for anything.. and they never charged for that kind of stuff until Feb 1st. I have autopay and never knew that they changed their policy until I needed something.

14. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    They certainly did charge for coming out and doing a repoint prior to February 1st, too. That's a standard service call.

15. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Just as a devil's advocate...

What if someone came along and undid work that you had done... then expected you to come out and do the job again for free?

16. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Actually, before 2/1/10, you did have to pay. $99 without DHPP and $29 with DHPP. So, it's cheaper now, AND installs are covered now.

17. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    technically prior to 2/1 dhpp didn't cover this type of situation. However, it was often overlooked as long as the dish had been remounted and just needed to be repointed.

18. janeslogin

janeslogin Legend

Dec 13, 2006
    For what it's worth, my roofer paid for my repositioning.