1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost features upgrading from Hopper 1 to Hopper 3

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by daryllafferty, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Jul 5, 2016 #1 of 40
    daryllafferty

daryllafferty New Member

Apr 15, 2006
    I just upgraded from a Hopper 1 to a Hopper 3. Going from 3 tuners to 16 tuners makes it worthwhile and I'm not going back, but I've noticed that I lost some features from the Hopper 1 that I will miss:

1) There is no 4X FF or Rewind. I used 4X FF all the time watching recorded football games (between plays) or tennis between serves, etc. 15X is just too fast to stop before the next play starts, and Skip Forward usually goes too far. In fact, I used to wish with my Hopper 1 to have 2X FF. I do think that 15X FF is smoother, less jerky than before, so there's something.

2) The new remote doesn't have the color buttons. The installer took the old remote, so I'm not sure if the color buttons would have worked with the new Hopper. I miss pressing the green button to get instant closed captions, or the blue button to get instant delete.

3) If you stop playing a program that is being recorded and then come back, you cannot resume. You have to start over or join live. The old Hopper did this too until there was an upgrade about a year ago. Hopefully they will add that feature to the H3 soon.

4) When you pause playback, I haven't found a way to frame advance. With the H1 you just press the skip-forward button to advance one frame, but it doesn't work with the H3.

5) Several things that were single button presses on the old remote now take two or more presses. There's no "Stop Playing" button, and I already mentioned the closed caption button. I guess this is an inevitable result of removing buttons from the remote. A row of user-programmable buttons might have been nice.

This is still very new to me, so if anyone has answers or solutions to these issues, I'd like to hear them.

2. Jul 5, 2016 #2 of 40
    SevenSixTwo

SevenSixTwo Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Should have kept the old remote. That's what I did.

3. Jul 6, 2016 #3 of 40
    dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    So we're saying the H3 can do some of the items mentioned, but the 'new' remote is incapable of accessing them?
    What were they thinking?

4. Jul 6, 2016 #4 of 40
    SevenSixTwo

SevenSixTwo Member

Feb 7, 2016
    No you have all the controls the old remote had. They are on screen now.

5. Thebigbry

Thebigbry New Member

Jul 18, 2016
    Illinois
    Yes. Why would they remove the stop button? You can use the back/live tv button, then scroll to the stop. Which is a pain.
    They finally allow multiple custom folders. Finally, but it's a pain to set recordings to go to them. More than just selecting to Record then clicking Again for options. It's way more steps now.

Search for next airing. All I want to do id's search for a Movie that's Playing now, it Listed in The guide, and see a list of The times dates and channels it Will play. I have yet to find a way to do this.
    The remote is horrible. You grab it by The side and accidentally hit an input button it aux button.the button Layout is awful. Reminds me if The dreadful direct tv remote at work.
    The H3 is faster sleeker, and has multi folders. But it angers me they can't figure out a way to add 1feature without losing 3 great ones.

6. Thebigbry

Thebigbry New Member

Jul 18, 2016
    Illinois
    And the ability to sort stuff by date, or by alphabetical order!

7. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Geez! Just get a 40 remote. If you had read all the Hopper3 forums on this an other sites, you would have kept your old one.

8. Thebigbry

Thebigbry New Member

Jul 18, 2016
    Illinois
    Yeah, but I didn't, shouldn't Have to research to see what these useful things are removed. Dish seems to Be the only electronic company that ads 1 feature back then removes 5 more.

. And the 40 remote still doesn't properly search. I still have one.

1 person likes this.
  9. Thebigbry

Thebigbry New Member

Jul 18, 2016
    Illinois
    Oh yeah, they also removed the coaxial input for OTA so that when they lose local channels they can offer you an ota that won't connect.

I'm thinking it may be about time to leave this dinosaur for internet tv, and an ota.

10. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Right because internet TV apps are all just so intuitive! :)

Compared to just about any internet TV app I've seen, Dish's H3 is miles ahead in virtually any way you want to look at it. I have considered and tried the various internet services for general TV watching and found every one of them to be totally different in UI between them, and not very flexible in use.

Sent from my samus using Tapatalk

11. bnewt

bnewt Godfather

Oct 2, 2003
    I thought that I have read of other issues with the H3..........like no recording light, problems recording ota

1 person likes this.
  12. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    Amazon does sell the old remotes also, I guess if you plead with a CSR, they may send you one.

13. bjf2007

bjf2007 Cool Member

Oct 21, 2007
    I have a question for those with the H3 and the old 40 remote.

This original poster of this thread said this.

<<4) When you pause playback, I haven't found a way to frame advance. With the H1 you just press the skip-forward button to advance one frame, but it doesn't work with the H3.>>

They didn't have the 40 remote.

But if you "do" have a 40 remote can you do this and get back the frame advance.

Or is this feature just gone on the H3 no frame advance forward or backward?

Thanks, bjf

14. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I just checked and frame advance seems to work fine on the H3 with the 40.0 remote.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

15. bjf2007

bjf2007 Cool Member

Oct 21, 2007
    n0qcu,

Thanks for the info. with the remote frame advance.

Good to hear that still works.

Best, bjf

16. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Prepping to switch back to Dish from Directv, so reading the H3 stuff closely -

I've read there's a newer remote now, with voice features? Is that shipping with new installs? And does that one have the freeze frame advance? (I actually use that quite a bit when watching sports.)

17. bjf2007

bjf2007 Cool Member

Oct 21, 2007
    I recently got the Hopper 3 after years with the 722.

One huge problem is the MISSING 4x scan speed.

15x is too fast for short skips.
    I overshoot and then have to try and skip back with the 10 sec. back or 30 sec. forward.
    It's a pain in the a**.

Dish Tech's PLEASE Fix this and give me back the 4x speed.

It would be nice to have a 2x speed choice as well.
    This is great for fast action sports.

And another complaint is now I have a HUGE banner when doing slow motion.

Don't want it. -------- Don't need it.

I want NO INFO on the screen when I am doing slo-motion or frame by frame

PLEASE Fix these Problems!!!!!!!!!

Watching Football is now a PAIN compared to my old 722.

The Hopper 3 is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    but I should not LOSE features I had on my old 722,

ADD but don't subtract!!!!

But please give us a 4x REW./ FF scanning ability once again.

Thanks, bjf

1 person likes this.
  18. Rick_R

Rick_R Legend

Sep 1, 2004
    Simi Valley, CA
    I am considering upgrading from my Hopper 1 to a Hopper 3. So far I have heard I should keep my remotes. Also If I can't record OTA that is a deal breaker for me. I have two OTA modules for my Hopper 1s. Will they work for the hopper 3? I have dual Hopper 1s with each hopper with an OTA module so I can record two OTA programs at once. Can I plug them both into the Hopper 3? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick R

19. JackC

JackC New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    I agree 100%! The giant black bar that appears across the bottom of the screen during pause and SLO-MO/FF/REW is HORRIBLE! What kind of idiot thought it would be a good idea to block a full quarter of my screen with that stupidity?? FYI, during a pause or slo-mo replay, it effectively blocks the feet of the receiver during a football game, the foot of the runner AND first base when watching Baseball/Softball, the fine print at the bottom of the screen that I used to be able to read while paused, the listing for guest actors/voices at the end of a TV show and many other things. It's absolutely the most annoying 'feature' and a big part of my reasoning for looking into switching to Comcast.

The loss of the 4x REW/FF is also a big annoyance. I thought I would get used to the lack of control but it's just as terrible now as it was three months ago when I had the H3 first installed. And the new remote is horrendous! In fact, I use the old remote from my 922 95% of the time - even though the buttons are worn out and makes thumb sore by the end of a game. What were the 'programmers' thinking? They weren't!

To fix this, Dish 'programmers' should/must provide us with an option to make the giant black FF/REW bar that blocks 25% of the screen DISAPPEAR completely. Additionally, they could easily add a setting that would give me options to select different speeds for the SLO-MO/FF/REW 'features'.

The Hopper 3 is an amazing piece of hardware but DISH programmers just had to go and screw it up with their terrible programming. Good riddance DISH!

20. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Hyperbole much? That bar is nowhere near 25% of the screen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk