1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost girl n syfy

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by inkahauts, Jan 16, 2012.

1. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    OK, I thought this show was new. I set it to record, but in the guide data, it shows these episodes are from 2010. So if you want to record it, you better set it for both types of shows, not just new. I don't have time to figure out why right now, but my guess is this is an imported series from somewhere else?

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I believe it was a Canadian show.

- Merg

3. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Tv Guide quote
    "Lost Girl is already well into its second season in Canada, so there's plenty of time for it to find its way."

4. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Thanks for the heads up.

5. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    They really need to get off their ass and work this stuff out. Kinda defeats the purpose of having an advanced dvr.

6. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    SyFy has never been good at it. And I fear they may never learn.

7. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    I know, been dealing with it for awhile. Just gets old I guess.

8. radioboy3

radioboy3 New Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Directv can't get this right with the Audience Network, so how can we expect anymore from SyFy?

9. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    That will need a little more support in accuracy before I can agree with you.
    Directv is a conduit that allows sugar or sand to the viewer. The provider like SYFY who is the second most worst provider as far as guide data in my eyes to Comedy Central, are the ones who make these calls.

Can you really blame Dtv to evaluate everything every network provides with accuracy?

sigh:nono:

10. dhhaines

dhhaines Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Well yes actually you can blame Directv. On Verizon Fios my dvr recorded correctly and the guide has 1/16/12 as the first air date.

11. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    But that isnt the 1st air date as has been pointed out.

12. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    Doesnt matter to me. They should realize the effect it has, and adjust. This has been discussed over and over just on Merlin.

It's annoying.

We are using your dvr (directv) and we are forced to use your (directv) guide, fixt it!!!

Better use of time than adding youtube to the damn boxes...

13. adkinsjm

adkinsjm Icon

Mar 25, 2003
    Take some responsibility and record it on your own.

14. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    Funny. It becomes my responsibility when I pay Directv for a service and expect it to work right.

:rolleyes:

15. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I've used this before and I'll use it again: DIRECTV is using a data provider for the guide data that supplies the First Air Date in the country of origin, which is meaningless to a US audience.

TitanTV has a different data provider, and there the First Air Date is set to the date it's first available to the US audience, so on TitanTV you will find Merlin and Lost Girl marked as "New" with the current 2012 air dates.

I honestly think DIRECTV should switch guide data providers...

16. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006

I agree with this as well.

Even Zap2It can list these as "New".

17. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Very interesting, since Zap2It gets their data from the same place DirecTV does (Tribune Media Services). In fact, Zap2It does show the 2010 "original air date" if you get the full episode details -- but they also have a "New" indication on Syfy's first airing of the episode.

I wonder if part of the problem has to do with how the "new episode" logic is set up on DirecTV DVRs, i.e., that an episode is still considered "first run" for a week after the original air date (so that if there's a conflict during the first airing, a later showing will record, even if the series link is set to "First Run Only").

18. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    I think using the original air date is problematic. A "New" tag should be the trigger, everyone out there knows this is a "New" first run episode on Syfy, except my HR.

19. KenW

KenW Legend

Nov 16, 2005
    Don't they use the term "Premiere" when a show is new on a channel? Even if the show has been broadcast on another US channel, the term would still apply.

20. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Not for every episode.