1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost internet connection.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by woodardhsd, Sep 29, 2010.

1. woodardhsd

woodardhsd AllStar

Jan 19, 2009
    I have 1 HDDVR and 1 HD receiver, both connected with DECA's to my wireless router. I was having some issues with one of my receivers upstairs and had disconnected both receivers at the same time. Finally figured out the problem with the HD receiver and have reconnected both receivers. Now the receiver cant connect to the internet. Before that, it had been working fine for the past 3 months.

I've tried resetting the receiver several times, repeating the network setup several times, turning off the router and then back on, checking all the physical connections. All the lights on my DECA's are green. I can't think of anything else to try.

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Exactly how are your receivers connected?
    Stating that BOTH are connected via DECAs to your router doesn't make sense.

If you don't have the H/HR24 receivers, the DECAs are connected to each receiver to allow them to share programming. In order to connect them to the internet a DECA needs to be connected to the router. So you potentially need three DECAs.

3. woodardhsd

woodardhsd AllStar

Jan 19, 2009
    Yeah, I didn't explain that right. I have 3 DECA's. Each receiver has a DECA, and there is also one connected to the wireless router.

______

Was doing some searching, and found this picture. This is exactly what my screen shows when I try to complete the network setup on the HDDVR. I know they're connected right, cause everything was working fine up until 2 days ago.

[​IMG]

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    That IP address indicates that the receiver is not seeing your router. On the DECA connected to the receiver and the one connected to your router, are there 3 green lights? Have you tried resetting the receiver in question as well?

- Merg

5. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    If you are seeing an IP address such as 169.254.x.x, then your receivers are not able to talk to your router. If the router had assigned the IP address it would look something like 192.168.x.x. The 169 addresses are what the boxes will default to when they can't find a DHCP server.

I know you said you double checked connections, but do it one more time. That's the most likely cause of the problem. Double check again that all DECAs have all 3 green lights. Especially check the cat5 cable between the network DECA and the router. Perhaps try to plug it into a different port of the router.

Since it is happening on both machines, it is not likely the receivers. (It would be a very big coincidence if both boxes failed at the same time as you were fixing another problem.) Since it was working before, it is also not likely that your router failed at the same time you were fixing a problem with HD on the receivers. (Not impossible, but again a big coincidence.)

If you still can't find a problem, why don't you detail what you did as you were fixing your other problem. It might spark an idea of something else to check.

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Also, in double checking the CAT5 cable plugged into the receivers, make sure it is plugged into the top ethernet jack and not the bottom. On some receivers, the second ethernet jack does not work correctly.

- Merg

7. woodardhsd

woodardhsd AllStar

Jan 19, 2009
    All my the lights on the DECA's are green. I have reset the receiver several times. I'll triple-check the connections on the back, but I'm pretty sure they're correct.

Here's the thread: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=184567
    Basically, my HDMI connection on another receiver stopped working.

8. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Can you log into the router to see what IP addresses have been assigned?

9. woodardhsd

woodardhsd AllStar

Jan 19, 2009
    My router is not showing any attached devices. All it shows is my desktop PC.

10. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Did you double check to make sure the CAT5 is in the correct ethernet port of the receivers? If it appears to be, you can then try the other one (it has happened that port 1 gets turned off and port 2 turned on--I know, I know...).

- Merg

11. woodardhsd

woodardhsd AllStar

Jan 19, 2009
    Yes, I did. The HR22 has 2 ports, but the bottom one has a plug (or something) in it already. The Cat5 was in the top port. On the H21, there's only 1 port.

I went ahead and removed all the DECA stuff last night on both receivers and from the router, and did a reset on the router. Once I get my H21 repaired/replaced due to the HDMI problem, I'll re-try the DECA install and see if I can get the internet working again.

Possibly unrelated, but can poor signal strength have anything to do with the problems I'm having with the network? I accidently bumped into the dish with a truck mirror, now my signal strengths are a little low. Low enough to fail the system test, at least. My 101's were still in the high 90's though. Haven't had a chance to re-align yet, since it's been pouring down rain for the past 4 days.

12. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Are both receivers getting the 169.254 IP address or just one of them? If just one, which one, the HR22 or the H21?

- Merg

13. woodardhsd

woodardhsd AllStar

Jan 19, 2009
    Both receivers were showing the same IP addresses.

14. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I would reboot the router.
    Also, maybe setting the static IPs would fix it.

15. woodardhsd

woodardhsd AllStar

Jan 19, 2009
    I've already performed a reboot on the router.

I'll try re-installing the DECA (on my HR22) after the technician finishes installing my new H24 (due to an unrelated problem).

I'm not sure about the static IP thing. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to networking

16. woodardhsd

woodardhsd AllStar

Jan 19, 2009
    I am now connected again using my new H24 receiver. At first I still had connection problems, but since it has the deca built in, i took the one that was on the h21 and replaced the deca that was connected to the router.

17. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Sounds like you might have had a bad DECA then. That would prevent the router from assigning the receivers IP addresses.

- Merg

18. woodardhsd

woodardhsd AllStar

Jan 19, 2009
    I guess so. I would have had no way of knowing since all the lights were working an all 3 DECA's. On a whim, I decided to try it. I had already tried everything else.