1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Lost locals from satellite change--Time limit

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by phatmatt1215, Mar 24, 2010.

1. phatmatt1215

phatmatt1215 Icon

Nov 4, 2007
    A while back, we were among those that lost our locals if we didn't have an upgraded dish. At the time, we didn't care and didn't do anything about it. Now we care. I assume they would do/did the swapping free of charge since it wasn't our fault. Is there/was there a time limit in which they would do it free of charge, or will it always be free.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Call and ask. I would hope they'll still upgrade you with a sweet deal.

3. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I would guess that you wont have any problems with that. Im sure they would like to get the extra money out of you. They will probably try to see you on a new HD DVR to for cheap to get you into a new 2 year commitment.

4. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    As long as they go from a DVR to a HD-DVR or SD receiver to HD receiver there is no new commitment when doing a local 72 swap.

If they go from a SD receiver to an HD-DVR then they would be upgrading and it would trigger a new 2 year agreement. If they add more receivers/DVRs then they currently have it will trigger a new 2 year agreement.

As far as I know there is no time limit on the 72 swap. However I see no reason to hold off on doing it now. You will only get channels in SD unless you pay the HD Access fee though (they lock the HD-DVRs and receivers to SD output only).