1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost most my channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Phitocell, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Sep 9, 2013 #1 of 11
    Phitocell

Phitocell New Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Hello everyone. Thanks for the forum I've been a long time lurker but I finally got frustrated enough to join.
    So any help would be greatly appreciated. For starters I'm not an expert in any means but consider myself teachable and handy. With that I have DirecTV with a slimline 5 dish and a HR 23-700 reciever. I started losing channels I noticed a week or so ago, not all but certain ones like history, espn, and some others. It started that I would lose them at certain times of the day, mainly mid day. However eventually I lost them for good. Sometimes it will say searching for satelite on input 1 and sometimes it will say input 2. I checked my signal strengths and they seem fine from what I know. What I don't know is how the different satellites 99, 101, 110, etc work because I seem to get signal on 110 except for 4 12 20 28 transponders, reading I gues those are "spot" and I do get my local channels. However the other 99, 110 I don't think I am getting from them, and that is where my common sense ends. I think I might have a bad LNB but like I said I really don't understand how it all works so I don't know. Thanks for anyone who takes the time to read this and let me know what you think.

2. Sep 9, 2013 #2 of 11
    Phitocell

Phitocell New Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Also the dish itself has surface rust on it would that cause problems?

3. Sep 9, 2013 #3 of 11
    Sward81333

Sward81333 New Member

Mar 29, 2011
    This happened to me as well -- you've got the same symptoms. Your dish needs to be realigned. Call DirecTV and they'll send out the installer -- free if you've got the Protection Plan.

4. Sep 9, 2013 #4 of 11
    peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yup, sounds like your dish have shifted. call DirecTV and while the rust is not the major problem, it would not hurt if the techs replace it

5. Sep 9, 2013 #5 of 11
    Phitocell

Phitocell New Member

Sep 9, 2013
    How hard would something like that be to do myself, since I do t have the protection plan.

6. Sep 9, 2013 #6 of 11
    Phitocell

Phitocell New Member

Sep 9, 2013
    So you guys think it is dish alignment and not the LNB the bar with three reciever things that hangs on the arm facing the dish? I think it's called an LNB.

7. Sep 9, 2013 #7 of 11
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    It could be the LNB failing, it could be the dish getting out of alignment, it could be water getting into your coax (if the dish has rust it is pretty old)

You could fix it yourself but you might have to try several things and end up spending a lot more than what Directv would charge. No one will be able to give you a definite answer on what it is.

8. Sep 9, 2013 #8 of 11
    JasTay4224

JasTay4224 New Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Could be coax... LNB.... Dish alignment.... Receiver.... It could be any of a dozen components in the system.

No way to troubleshoot if the problem is system related. You need a tech.

9. Sep 9, 2013 #9 of 11
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yes, not to belittle the $49.00 service charge its going to be, since that's a lot for some people.

But unless you're really prepared to put in the possibly long man-hours tracking down this problem and ordering new parts, its best to save the hassle and call a tech.

10. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Probably the biggest advantage of calling for service is the tech/installer that comes will have the parts necessary to properly troubleshoot and fix the problem. If you chase it down, you might need a half dozen or more miscellaneous parts and pieces to change out in order to isolate the problem. Further, if it is the dish or LNB, the replacement parts will probably cost more than the $49 service call.

1 person likes this.
  11. Phitocell

Phitocell New Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Thanks everyone for the quick responses!