1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost Signals during Storms

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by elbyj, May 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 1, 2004 #1 of 36
    elbyj

elbyj Godfather

Jan 9, 2003
    Okay, I realize that I am not the smartest individual when it comes to how E* works -- but something always bothers me. During periods of heavy thunderstorms in our area, we will periodically loose our signal for all the national channels. However, our locals continue to be seen. Why? Same dish and same LNB's -- does it have something to do with which satellite the signal is coming from -- that spot beam issue? Just wanting to know! Thanks in advance.

2. May 1, 2004 #2 of 36
    stonecold

stonecold Banned User

Feb 20, 2004
    Yeah it pretty much a spotbeam issue.

Your spotbeams are stronger signals and usually hold up to heavier rain.

3. May 1, 2004 #3 of 36
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Also, you might lose your signal during storms because your dish antenna is loose.

4. May 1, 2004 #4 of 36
    elbyj

elbyj Godfather

Jan 9, 2003
    Thanks for the confirmation. With all the threads that I read, I thought maybe it was a spotbeam issue.

5. May 1, 2004 #5 of 36
    amit5roy5

amit5roy5 Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Mar 3, 2004
    Your one dish points to 110 and 119. The signal only to 119 probably got blocked.

6. May 1, 2004 #6 of 36
    catman

catman Godfather

Jun 27, 2002
    I know in wisconsin here . My dish looses the signal when we have very heavy rain . I would like to keep the signal . NOW , Tornadoe season is approching .

7. May 1, 2004 #7 of 36
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    No matter HOW well pointed, no matter how LARGE of a dish you use - there WILL be some conditions you will lose DBS signal. For those occaisions, its nice to have an OTA antenna to fall back on. OK, so you won't get all your "cable channel" programming. But, at least you would have access to your local broadcast stations for news and weather reports. You might even find that your picture is better than on DBS...

8. May 1, 2004 #8 of 36
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    My signal dropped to the low 80's during the heavy rain we had last night. Normally I get 120-125 on most transponders. No signal loss or noticable degradation.

That's why I'd worry if my "normal" signal level on 110/119 or wings wasn't at least in the hundreds.

JL

9. May 1, 2004 #9 of 36
    mrdectown

mrdectown Legend

Apr 10, 2004
    My Service has wen out once during a very very heavy rain storm and only that storm. Before then we went through snow and this wind storm that was strong enough to move cars. nothing happen. so its kinda wierd cause i was told by everyone who didnt have a satellite that it went out all the time. come to find out cable went out more the DBS.

10. Steveox

Steveox Banned User

Apr 21, 2004
    Hey thats another reason i switched to dish.During storms your tv doesnt go out like direct tv does.Direct tv gives you a message ( searching satelite signal) I had enough with that crap too!

11. Bobby94928

Bobby94928 Hall Of Fame

May 12, 2003
    I'm going to speak from experience here. On the rare occasion that we have heavy enough rain here in Northern California, my Dish signal does exactly the same thing that DirecTV does. I've been a Dish customer for 6 years. I know what I speak of, do you?

12. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    The tweo companies use pretty much the same technology. I don't believe one resists rainfade better than the other. Maybe you hada particularly poor line of sight to 101.

13. Steveox

Steveox Banned User

Apr 21, 2004
    Do you have a dish 500 W/dishpro ?

14. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Actually, since Dish is lower on the horizon than DirecTv from your location, Dish should be more susceptible to rain fade than Directv since it's signal has to travel through more atmosphere than Direct. If your experience is different, your DirecTv dish was not properly aligned and that was the cause of your rain fade problems. Both systems are required by mother nature to adhere to the same laws of physics. Those laws preempt any local, state or national laws. :D

15. Steveox

Steveox Banned User

Apr 21, 2004
    I had both to see witch one is beter.Direct tv says a message(serching Satelite signal) Meanwhile im still watching CNN on dishnet while its raining downpour.

16. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Yeah, I had that plain ole 18" dish vs. DISH500 problem. So now they are all 30" dishes. Can sit here and watch the storm move from west to east. Depends on the storm track. Some storms DISH Network goes out. Some storms DirecTV goes out. Some Storms both go out. No big difference.

17. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    The others here are correct. It's most likely the spot beam signal strength issue. Whenever a big storm rolls through here, my local channels are the last to disappear.

18. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Like I said, whoever installed your Directv dish did a poor job if you lose (not loose) it more often than you lose (not loose) your Dish signal. I get both my internet and television off the same dish and often will lose (not loose) one before the other. Which one goes out first (internet or Dish Network) depends on the direction the storm is coming from. By the way, it didn't rain in the West Palm Beach DMA today.

19. dlp85x

dlp85x Mentor

Mar 19, 2004
    I find that interesting that you, and others, seem to lose the locals after the national ones dissapear during storms, etc. In my case, its the opposite. We had a pretty big thunderstorm the other week, and the local stations (from Washington DC, on spotbeam) went black for a few minutes, but during that time the national channels came in perfectly without any signal interruptions.

Another weather-related signal issue I have seen is that when it gets below freezing, the local channels freeze for a split second once every five minutes or so, but the national channels don't do it at all.

In either case, my locals come in perfect outside of freezing temps or thunderstorms, so its nothing really to complain about.

20. MattS

MattS Godfather

Apr 5, 2004
    Just depends on where in the spot beam you are. If your in the middle of it, like most of these guys are I assume with them barely losing signal. You must be around the edge of a spotbeam. Lesser signal = better chance of signal failure. But with 119/110 Conus signal. You can get a good signal anywhere with a LOS.

Just depends.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.