1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Lost some shows unexpectedly...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by turkeylord, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Jan 6, 2013 #1 of 15
    turkeylord

turkeylord Cool Member

Jan 9, 2008
    So, I was recording the FCS Championship game on my old HR20 last night. When the game was over, I stopped the recording and kept it.

When I went back to look at my recordings, the other games I had previously recorded were gone. :( They were all titled the same, "College Football", if that makes a difference.

Bummed I lost em :( Anyone have any idea what happened? Was it something I did?

2. Jan 6, 2013 #2 of 15
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Try this and see if they come back to the screen.
    Menu, Settings, Reset, Choose Restart Receiver. This will take about 10 minutes normally.

Do not do this if you are currently recording as it will stop it.

3. Jan 6, 2013 #3 of 15
    turkeylord

turkeylord Cool Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Just finished, no luck. :( Thanks anyway.

4. Jan 6, 2013 #4 of 15
    Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Are you using an external hard drive?

5. Jan 6, 2013 #5 of 15
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I have seen a couple of posts talking about items deleted and they did not tell it to delete them.
    Howver, they did tell it to delete something instead of like you said you told it to Keep it.

Press the Info button on the remote and hold it for about 5 seconds until the system info comes to the screen. What version of software does it say you are running ?

Also, How much Free Space does it show that you have on the Hard Drive ?

6. Jan 6, 2013 #6 of 15
    Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009
    The explanation as to why they were deleted may be in the History too.

7. Jan 6, 2013 #7 of 15
    turkeylord

turkeylord Cool Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Still using the original internal drive.

Yeah, and it did keep my new recoding, just trashed the old ones. Software 0x62c. Free space is 43% indicating that they're gone, it was more full before.

There's a line in the history that reads:
    "College Football Yesterday 12:00p Deleted"
    and it says "This episode was deleted by user (1001)".

But, I think that's related to the fragment I deleted before the game started. The broadcast was delayed ~11 minutes for some basketball game that was finishing up.

It's possible maybe I deleted the entire College Football folder by mistake at that time? :nono2:

8. Jan 6, 2013 #8 of 15
    turkeylord

turkeylord Cool Member

Jan 9, 2008
    That must've been what I did. Bummer. The history on the semifinal game from 12/12/14 says deleted by user as well.

Well, thanks for the help guys. Unfortunately I think this was all user error, but thanks for helping me get to the bottom of it. :nono:

9. Jan 6, 2013 #9 of 15
    Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009
    Yep, that's a bummer. At least the mystery has been solved.

10. turkeylord

turkeylord Cool Member

Jan 9, 2008
    If there's any silver lining here, it's that those recordings were most of the reason I was holding onto this HR20. Time to upgrade. :)

11. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Good work, then! You'll like the Genie.....

12. turkeylord

turkeylord Cool Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Thanks, I've got some work to do on the phone this week with customer service :)

13. jahgreen

jahgreen Godfather

Dec 15, 2006
    At least your team won, so it was still a pretty good day.

14. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    This argues for an "undelete" feature option. Not sure why we are still waiting for this, it doesn't take a lot of complicated code, and Tivo's had it for years. Essentially it works like a Windows Recycle bin; stuff languishes there until the drive gets full and it needs that room.

I did the same thing just last week, deleting an entire folder of Blue Bloods with 9 eps in it (good thing I double-record). I'm sitting there wondering why this delete of a single ep is taking so long, and then it dawned on me what I had done.

I was thinking of a more-complicated scenario where you record a number of programs then forget and start a SL with a "keep one ep" parameter, and 6 months later when a show comes along with that title it wipes out the rest, which I have seen people post. But it is probably the simpler thing you mentioned. Occam's Razor at work.

15. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've had that happen and found the same thing in History. I did not delete those shows. Been a long time since I've seen this happen, but the HR seems to think it's the "user" when this happens.

Since the last NR came down I've had two folders deleted. Fortunately I've got a couple HRs that aren't on MRV and they had the recordings on them. The first time it happened, I lost 53 episodes of Dexter. Didn't mind that since I knew I could get them back by using On Demand. A couple days later it happened again and I found both that folder and Dexter on the two HRs I don't have on MRV. Gave me a chance to compare On Demand and regular programming on the HRs. On Demand has sync problems with the audio and video, rather annoying. Also doesn't have the same PQ as regular programming on the HRs.

Rich