1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low Signal strength on 119

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by ablablabl, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ablablabl

ablablabl New Member

Mar 30, 2006
    I have a Dish Pro 500 dual Lnb. Within the last couple of days I've noticed that the signal strength on 119 was around 55-60. 110 was over 100. When it rained I would lose my channels on 119. The channels on 110 would be fine. Today the weather is fine and I get all the channels on both sats. The signal strength is still low on 119 though (55-60). Any ideas why? Thanks

2. markyd21

markyd21 Legend

Mar 28, 2006
    Dish is out of alignment for whatever reason. If you know how, re-point it. I do not think there is any known issue on 119's signal.

3. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005

Yeah, probably the azimuth is a little too far to the left.

4. Dozoclown

Dozoclown Cool Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Check that the mast is plumb in both directions.

5. dadrad99

dadrad99 New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    I noticed the same thing. My 119 was really low, about 49. I tried to re-aim and now can't find either 119 or 110. Damn! The mast is almost exactly plumb (just a hair off) and I put all settings based on my zip code. Please take me through the steps in order to getting my satellites back!!!!!!

6. Satpro92

Satpro92 Legend

Jan 30, 2005
    Sounds to me like maybe a tree has grown up in the way or something else blocking 119. I can not imagine the skew angle moving,and if it's right no way 110 has that much better signal than 119.

7. May 1, 2006 #7 of 12
    ttskyline2001

ttskyline2001 New Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Also try to switch the 119 lnb with the lnb that is on the 110 and see if that works. if that is the case you may have a bad dish pro dual and you need to replace it.

8. May 5, 2006 #8 of 12
    VelocitySatellite

VelocitySatellite Cool Member

Dec 19, 2005

Doesn't sound like a bad LNB to me, sounds like the dish got tweaked.

First things first:

Make sure mast is level (mast moves out of adjustment easier than other settings.

Check skew to make sure it is correct

Usually, signal on the 119 is much better than the 110, sounds like the azimuth needs to be moved to the left a hair or two.

9. May 5, 2006 #9 of 12
    Opynion

Opynion Godfather

Mar 21, 2006
    I used to think that only thing needed for great reception was to aim the dish to the southern sky and bingo, not true, :nono2: if it's moved a little to the right or left, you will be losing a signal, either from 119 or 110
    and if you moved the dish to another part in the house, it will be a real hassle to find both satellites
    without a signal finder :(

10. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    It appears that since E*10 as gone into service the dish needs to be aimed slightly higher than before.

I have my D500 on a fencepost mast outside my family room window. I can hear the signal strength tones through the window. 110 tr 10 which is the spotbeam for the Cleveland locals used to be smokin hot, now its lower. By raising my dish up higher I can hear the pitch go higher, but it drops back down when I let go of the mast (I did a lousy job of cementing the mast in the ground, I had to tie it up to a downspout in the winter to keep it sorta plumb because the ground - not the electrical ground, I mean the earth - is soft and the mast began to lean). The problem is 119 is fine, it's only some transponders on 110 that have gone wimpy.

I don't use a signal finder, just a bubble level and a compass (and my ears). Unfortunatelhy my 61.5 dish is on the other side of the house and I cannot hear the tones from there.

11. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    If you are trying to point or repoint, it is best to use transponders which are not spotbeams. There is not guarantee you will maintain an adaquite signal to get a true aim. E*10 ot going to tighter spotbeams and can explain 'whimpy' signal quality.

12. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    It's springtime, you might check that moisture isn't present in any of the outside connectors. Disconnect the coax from its ground block and or switches and see it the wire hasn't melted back. If so strip the wire reconnect and make sure it is sealed from moisture

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.