1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low volume (constantly) from Directv H25 receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by ddonjon, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Sep 6, 2013 #1 of 11
    ddonjon

ddonjon New Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Myrtle...
    I have a Directv H25 receiver wired via component audio (red and white) to my stereo receiver for audio output. The sound coming out when everything is turned on is VERY quiet. In fact, I have to turn my stereo receiver volume almost to the max level just to hear anything. Does anyone know how I can correct this?

I've already tried going into the AUDIO SETTINGS on the Directv box, but everything I try does not resolve the issue. I've also tried resetting the box, but that doesn't change anything.

I've also tested my receiver to make sure that's not the problem. I connected my "quiet" H25 audio to my second stereo receiver and it was also very quiet. Finally, I attached different audio devices to the stereo receivers to ensure the connectors at the rear of my stereo receivers weren't bad. I connected my DVD player to the same audio ports and the sound was loud and was fine.

Its driving me crazy because even at MAX volume its not loud enough to hear if I have a group of people over. Is there anyway to increase the volume of the Directv box somehow??? I know when I had Time Warner Cable, you could actually adjust volume coming out of their HD receivers, but I can't seem to achieve this with Directv. I greatly appreciate any help.

2. Sep 6, 2013 #2 of 11
    sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    Not sure if this helps at all, but I've always found Directv sound levels to be much lower than my other providers throughout the years. In fact, often when I flip from my Directv source to my FiOS source, I'll forget to turn down the volume and it always gives a jolt to the room because the FiOS feed is so much louder. I'm assuming it has something to do with transcoding - or other technical details, for which I can give no expert opinion. However to not be able to hear it at all? Seems like something is amiss.

3. Sep 6, 2013 #3 of 11
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I'm sure you have looked at the audio settiin using the menu --settings- audio options? can you try another receiver audio out?

4. Sep 6, 2013 #4 of 11
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Since you are using composite audio which is analog only, make sure that Dolby Digital is turned off in the audio menus.

5. Sep 6, 2013 #5 of 11
    peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Weird, but the the H25 have no way to adjust the volume

6. Sep 6, 2013 #6 of 11
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I have a H25 on a crappy TV via HDMI that sometimes has low volume when turning the TV on. It fixes itself when I turn the TV off and back on.

7. Sep 6, 2013 #7 of 11
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Some AV Receivers allow you to adjust the volume levels of each input independently so that you can equalize the volume level across various devices. Does yours have that feature?

8. Sep 6, 2013 #8 of 11
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Do you have the same low volume if you plug those RCA connectors into your TV's audio in? How about if you plug an HDMI cable directly in to your TV, is the TV's audio really quiet too? What about if you use the TV's audio output to connect to your receiver? (if your TV has analog audio out)

9. Sep 6, 2013 #9 of 11
    ddonjon

ddonjon New Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Myrtle...
    Thanks for all responses...Couple of answers to your statements above....

1) Yes, I've tried going to Menu---Settings--Audio Settings and turning off and on the Dolby Surround feature. No change in volume is noticed.

2) My stereo receiver does not have that option to adjust the volume of independent inputs. I wish it did.

3) Like I said in the original post, the low noise level I get is showing up on whatever stereo receiver I plug it into. I've tested it on two different receivers and it does the same thing (is very quiet, but will be normal/loud should I plug in a different device (i.e. DVD player or CD player etc.).

**This leads me to believe the issue is with the H25 Directv box itself. I am just hoping to find some way to adjust (raise) the volume level that it sends out of its audio out connections. Does anybody know if that can be adjusted, or is the box bad????

10. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Quick test would be to swap another receiver to that location (H25) and test it or Connect the R+W od another receiver to the same input of the A/v that the H25 is connected to.

If the condition changes then I would replace the box or You may order another Dongle for the H25 0r just replace the box

11. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Does it not have optical out? And did you try what's mentioned in post 8?