1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lowest Possible Programming Package??

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by lionsrule, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 6, 2005 #1 of 11
    lionsrule

lionsrule Godfather

Nov 25, 2003
    Hi there,

We currently have the following dishnet package:

America's top 120: $37.99
    Locals (w/wb and upn): $8.99
    DVR Fee: $4.98
    Additional Receiver: $4.99
    Additional Receiver: $4.99
    Hd Pak $9.99

Total: Approx: $72

This past Oct 25th my wife and I have our 1st child (a boy, matthew timothy, thank you very much!!)

As many of you know, this changes your life tremendously......specifically if changes how much free time you have!!

In the interest of cutting cost of things we don't have as much time to enjoy, I thought my dishnet bill would be a good place to start.

We currently have a 921 receiver and an OTA for HD locals. MOST of the programming we watch are primetime network series in HD and I am a HUGE football and sports in general fan. As spring and summer like weather approaches I was thinking that it might be a good plan for us to make it an semi-annual plan to DOWNGRADE our service every March-August to the following:

DROP: America's top 120
    Drop: Both 301 receivers (keeping only the 921 for our big screen)
    DROP: Locals

Doing to would reduce our bill to ONLY: HDPAK, and PVR FEE.

Our monthly bill would be DECREASED by $56/mo to only $15 a month!!!!

Can I do this?? Or does dish MAKE you maintain at LEAST america's top 50??

Yes, I do understand that I'll have a ONETIME $5 downgrade fee.

I figure If this will work, it will save us about $300/year if we are downgraded from March-August Every year.

(and god help me, my wife has been planning for the loss of many "cable" channels by storing the ENTIRE RUN of DAWSON'S CREEK in our 921 for viewing over the summer........lucky me)

2. Feb 6, 2005 #2 of 11
    chaddux

chaddux Banned User

Oct 10, 2004
    Without at least a base package (AT50 is gone so you'd have to have at least AT60), you will incur a $5/month access fee. It is possible, though. Also, I believe that if you drop locals, you will NOT have any guide information for your OTA locals.

3. Feb 6, 2005 #3 of 11
    boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Are you on any type of promotion with DISH? If you are under any type of 1 year commitment you can't drop below AT-60 or you will get a penalty applied that would opffset any savings. Also if you signed up under DHP or DHA you must keep a minimum programming level or you will have to return the leased equipment to DISH.

4. Feb 6, 2005 #4 of 11
    lionsrule

lionsrule Godfather

Nov 25, 2003
    I have NO 12 month requirements of any type and I OWN my equipment.
    Can anyone else confirm an extra $5 fee (for basically nothing!)

Thanks.........

5. Feb 6, 2005 #5 of 11
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    For maintaining your billing information including receiver/access card pairings. Included in AT60, DL, and the Chinese Pack, IIRC.

JL

6. Feb 7, 2005 #6 of 11
    Sparkman87

Sparkman87 Legend

Apr 27, 2002
    I have only HD, distant nets, supers & sports pack now, no AT package. There is a $5/mo fee for this. If you make the change again in the fall to upgrade, they CAN charge you $5 again to upgrade your programming. They will probably waive it, but it is their option. BTW, E* is the only provider I know of who will allow you to keep your service active w/o a main package. D* won't allow it.

7. Feb 7, 2005 #7 of 11
    TonyM

TonyM Banned User

Aug 14, 2003
    All I have are locals and WPIX...
    $5.99+1.50+5.00BS fee + taxes :)

8. Feb 7, 2005 #8 of 11
    narnia777

narnia777 Legend

Mar 28, 2003
    You can also have Sky Angel instead of a AT package to get around the $5 fee... I pay sky angel $11.99, Dish network $10.99 (Superstations, 2 Fox channels I have waivers for and the outdoor channel), and Tivo $11.99 for standalone service. My main channels are on Directv.

Jim

9. Feb 7, 2005 #9 of 11
    Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Interesting way to getting around the $5 access fee. If someone has the lifetime subscription to SkyAngel can they still get around the $5 access fee? I'm guessing not. That means that when it was only $9 a month SkyAngel only cost $4 more than the access fee if you didnt have it, now its $7 more than the access fee.

10. BabaLouie

BabaLouie AllStar

Apr 2, 2004
    I have a Sky Angel lifetime subscription. Currently, I only get 4 distant networks and national PBS from Dish Network. I pay them $5.99/month, no $5.00 access fee since I am a Sky Angel subscriber.

11. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    SA lifetime subs only pay a mirror fee for the 2nd, 3rd ....receiver. The SA subscription "covers" the fee on the "primary" receiver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.