1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac-PC commercials and Windows 7.

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mike Bertelson, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    So far I've already seen two different Mac-PC commericals about Windows 7.

There are a Hoot! :lol:

Mike

2. elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    Yeah, I love PC's flip-up sunglasses......

3. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I'm not any kind of Apple fan whatsoever....but these are a funny set of commercials.

They also seem to demonstrate that the Mac world is genuinely concerned about the potential success of WIN7, since MS appears to have overcome the vast majority of the "competitive talking points" from the past.

WIN7 is likely going to be a winner - advance sales have set records.

Watch out Apple...it'll take more than cutesy commercials to win this battle. :D

4. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
  5. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    I hadn't seen the "PC News" commercial yet. That was a funny one.

I a PC guy but I like those commercials. :D

Mike

6. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    The new commercials are a hoot. One of the many benefits of competition. It's nice that MSFT has an OS that they can be proud of.

John

7. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Yep, I enjoy the commercials even though I am not a Mac user (and I am actually one of the few people who actually had no problems with Vista and like it).

8. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    You're not one of the few. I have two machines with Vista and I know others with Vista and I've never had nor heard of all the issues in the Mac commercials...but, as inaccurate as they are, they are darned funny. :D

Mike

9. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    They are very funny and just shows how worried Apple is of MSFT reclaiming it's lost market share for OS's i had vista on about 10 machines (family members included) and i have had nothing but success with them. My Windows 7 machine has worked flawlessly through all the betas & now on the RTM so all i can say to macs :p

10. jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    Not to go too OT, but a question: Did you upgrade those machines to Vista or was Vista installed when you got the machines?

Most of the Vista complaints I've heard of were from folks upgrading an XP machine to Vista or from buying a PC pre-loaded with Vista that runs very slowly due to having too little RAM.

The biggest non-hardware related complaint I've heard is due to the endless pop-ups asking for permission; most folks just stop reading them and give permission - which totally bypasses the reason for all the pop-ups!

11. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    OEM on two Dell laptops. I have upgraded my neighbor with Vista and that went fine. Did the upgrade; updated the drivers; installed software and she was good to go.

Mike

12. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I learned way back (maybe Win 3.12 - Win 95 ?) to never, never upgrade the O/S! I always do a fresh install.

Yeah, I turned off UAC. I know that's not the best thing to do, but since I do like to "tinker" and install new software, it just became too annoying to deal with.

13. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Win7 "upgraded" my Vista fine & Win7 has a slider adjustment for the UAC, so you can turn it off without the nasty icon.

14. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    VOS< was that an "upgrade" or did it just stash all your old Vista stuff into a "Windows.old" folder? As for the UAC, I was talking about Vista - the Win& implementation is much better (though still not ideal).

15. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I've "gone both ways". First was a true "upgrade" & the second a fresh install with the Windows.old folder. Wish I could have done the second as an upgrade.

16. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I find that doing a fresh install just works better. I don't mind the time it takes to re-install my apps. In fact, I prefer that because over the months and years, I end to install a lot of software for "test-drives" and end up with a bunch of crap I never use. Doing a fresh install is also a good time to make sure my 3rd party hardware drivers are updated. As for my data, I don't worry about that because I keep in on a separate drive (actually, a mapped drive on my server).

I know this is exactly the sort of point the Mac-PC commercials are making, in that PC's are more complex to upgrade, but a lot of the problem has to do with the fact that the world of the PC is one made up of different pieces of hardware and software from thousands of different vendors. It's not always Microsoft's fault that one of those doesn't behave well.

17. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    I prefer fresh installs. I even try to use a new hard drive (ok, usually an excuse to upgrage to a larger drive :D)

Mike

18. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    My one problem with Vista has to do with my HP Photosmart 3210 printer. Vista doesn't support the Scan button on the printer and I have to use HP's Photosmart Essentials or Paint to perform a scan. Hopefully, when I upgrade to Windows 7 this problem will go away.

19. durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    Those commercials definitely are hilarious. Simple, but very effective. They sum up Windows pretty well...

Even so, I have several friend with Macs and it's not unusual to hear them talking about having to take them in for repairs...again and again.

20. QuickDrop

QuickDrop Hall Of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    For me, the most anti-Windows commercial I've seen actually came from Windows. It's the one where the little girl makes her "homemade" Windows 7 ads. If you design the most used operation systems on the planet and still need to brag that one reviewer called your latest entry "stable," it doesn't put your previous efforts in the most positive light.