1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac question...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Greg Alsobrook, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Well, I've decided that I'm going to buy a mac book... But being a mac virgin... i have a question... leopard is going to come out on the 26th... as I'm sure you all know... should i buy a mac book now... and just get my free copy of leopard once it comes out... or... should i wait to buy the mac book when it has leopard preinstalled?

basically... do OS upgrades go pretty smoothly on macs? i've never had an OS upgrade go too well on a PC... if i knew for sure i could get one preinstalled with leopard on the 26th, i would just wait... but from what i've been told.. they have to sell all of the ones with tiger first... before they start shipping with leopard...

any thoughts?

2. pete4192

pete4192 Godfather

May 22, 2007

Every Macbook sold after 6:00 PM ET on 10/26 will have Leopard installed.
    I would just wait a week and order Friday night.

3. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    ohh... well.. i guess i'll do that then... when i called apple they said they didn't know when... guess that's CSR's for ya...

where did u get your info?

4. scubajbc

scubajbc Cool Member

Jul 15, 2007
    If I were going to buy a macbook, I would buy one next Friday; You will get an upgrade for Leopard (for Free, I assume). That way, you can run Tiger now, and wait until you know Leopard has no issues with the software you want to run. Updates have gone very smooth for me in the past.

I am waiting until the Mac Pros come out before I jump in to Leopard.
    My old G4 just doesn't cut it any more.

scubajbc

5. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    yeah.. anyone that purchased a mac after 10/1 will get a free upgrade if i'm not mistaken...

i'm confused... aren't the mac book pros already out?

also... are there any new mac books on the horizon? or is the current model still a fairly new model?

6. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    $9.95 http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

7. sammiemo

sammiemo Cool Member

Sep 21, 2007
    The upgrade process has always gone smoothly for me with the prior versions of OS X. In addtion, there have been compatibility issues with new versions that usually get worked out in the first few weeks.

Particularly I've had issues in the past with Retrospect (backup software) and drivers for some newer HP printers. In those cases I had to wait on the manufacturers to release updates.

8. vlightjim

vlightjim New Member

Sep 19, 2007
    If you purchase next Friday, each and every Mac will come with a copy of 10.5. It will not be installed on any of the store's current inventory. Pre-installed versions usually make it through the pipeline in a few weeks.

Like all new OS versions, there will be a few compatibility issues. In my experience running a business on Macs for 20 years, these are usually minor and temporary.

9. HIPAR

HIPAR Icon

May 15, 2005
    I would say buy it now and install Leopard yourself . According to Apple, the upgrade runs somewhat more than an hour. I doubt you will have problems on a new computer that hasn't yet been user customized.

You can go to the Apple site and watch the guided Leopard tour. They demonstrate the upgrade there. I don't worship at the Mac church but I like what I saw. I'll probably buy the Leopard family pack and install it on the three Macs I tend to.

For $200, that won't break the bank for a 3 machine upgrade and, like Rev Steve preaches, weather you buy OSX beginner edition or expert edition depends on the user's level of interest.

--- CHAS

10. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    thanks for all of the input guys.. i went ahead and took the plunge and got the mac... i love it! i can't believe i did't buy one of these years ago...

11. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Which one did you get the MacBook or the MacBook Pro?

12. ibglowin

ibglowin Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 10, 2002
    One thing you will want to do when you upgrade to Leopard is the "archive and install" option. This will put a complete fresh install of Leopard and not upgrade your old Tiger system to Leopard. It will leave your old version on the hard drive (and rename it old system), and import all your settings from all your apps. You can then throw away your old system folder. You'll get a clean install and won't loose anything in the process.

Definitely the best approach to upgrade a Mac.

13. blondago

blondago AllStar

Oct 17, 2007
    hey, since i got a bunch of mac users here, anyone know alot about networking on a mac?

14. ibglowin

Sep 10, 2002
    We have 4 macs and 3 PC's on our home network.

15. HIPAR

HIPAR Icon

May 15, 2005
    I set up a Wi-Fi network for my brother. He has two Windows computers and a Powerbook. I haven't noticed any problems moving files between the three machines. I also set up a HP Inkjet printer with built in wireless. All three machines work fine with the network printer. Neat!

--- CHAS

16. blondago

blondago AllStar

Oct 17, 2007
    alright, i'm trying to connect my g4 agp to a upnp device. I started out with eyeconnect. Everything seemed to work fine, but after about a half hour the message "mac server logged off" came across the screen. It took a couple days, and a bunch of resets later and i finally got it back. It did the same thing again. After messing around with that for a week, i tried Twonky. That worked right away, but again, after a half an hour the mac server logged off again. This time, all i have to do is reset the device to reestablish a connection and it always comes back, but only stays connected for a half an hour. Works flawlessly for that half an hour. Now here is the weird part. I was running Azureus one time when i reset the device. Under computers on the device, it listed the mac server and azureus. The mac server logged off after 30 mins, but azureus stayed connected for another 30 after that. How can an application on a network be connected when the server that the application is running on is logged off? Everything seems to be configured correctly. All devices are seeing and communicating with eachother, just won't maintain a connection. I have energy saver preferences turned off. My firewall is wide open, and have eye connect set to port 2170. I have all file sharing turned on, little snitch is disabled. Does anyone have any idea what i am missing? This is starting to drive me nuts. Does the fact that i'm running an older mac have anything to do with it? Its a g4 agp 500mhz, but upgraded to a dual 1.8 newertech processor, 500 watt atx powersupply, sonnet ultra ata 133 hard drive controller, ATI 9800 pro video card, plus many other meaningless add-ons. According to software update everything is up to date, except quicktime because i don't want to loose my QT pro key yet. Is there another piece of software i'm forgetting about that needs updated? I'm all out of ideas, i'd really appreciate anything anyone can throw at me. Thanks alot in advance.

17. ibglowin

Sep 10, 2002
    My first thought was to make sure the energy saver was put to "never" for put the computer to sleep and make sure that the box for "spin down the hard drives when possible" is unchecked.

what is your "upnp device"?

18. blondago

blondago AllStar

Oct 17, 2007
    Thanks for the response. yup, all energysavers are turned off. I'm networked to the HR20-100. I know there is a thread for that topic specifically, but i seem to be the only one posting in there...lol. I must be missing something.....is there any networking software that i need to update maybe? Or maybe because i don't have gigabyte ethernet??? i'm just pulling at straws here

19. ibglowin

Sep 10, 2002
    Nothing Mac software that I can think of at the moment. Make sure you have the latest Mac OSX by runing the software update. Gigiabit switch would help if you were having problems streaming content. I don't have an HR-20, I am an E* type of guy so I am not up to speed on their network features really.

Please explain: Do you stream contnet from the HR20 to the Mac or vice versa or both?

20. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    from the Mac to the HR20