1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Macon, GA - trying to help mother/stepfather recover local channels. Somehow missed 72.5 swap.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Tekneek, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Jul 8, 2013 #1 of 13
    Tekneek

Tekneek New Member

Feb 19, 2013
    I used to be a DirecTV subscriber (from 2001 - 2007). Anyway, they've had DirecTV service at a vacation house since around 2004/05. This is in the Macon, GA, DMA and they were getting the locals via a second dish pointed at 72.5, w/ another dish at 101 for standard programming. I had not been down there since spring of 2011, when all locals were coming in fine. Since I've been out of touch with DirecTV changes for years, I did not know about the shuttering of the 72.5 satellite.

I was down there on July 4, and they were complaining about the lack of local channels. I spent an hour on the phone with DirecTV to discover that 72.5 was gone (I had been concerned that their switch may have gone bad when the old E1 Hughes receivers were no longer detecting 72.5 at all). DirecTV says all that is needed are new receivers to be able to continue service as expected. The "new" (reconditioned) receivers have arrived (H24-700) and I will most likely be taking them down to install them later this week. However, I am skeptical that the current dish setup of an old 101 and a 72.5 is actually going to work and that they will still not be getting the Macon locals (however the receivers will be a lot fancier than those old ones). The DirecTV rep insisted that a swap of receivers and dish happened in 2009, but they still had old equipment that I am positive DirecTV wasn't sending out in 2009.

Does anyone on here know exactly what the hardware requirements are to receive Macon locals, via DirecTV, at the moment? I would like to know what I need to ask for when I get somebody on the phone, because they may have preyed on my ignorance last week. Back when I was a customer, I usually knew more about what was going on than anybody I would talk to with DirecTV. It meant I usually got what I needed because I knew what to ask for. 6 years of being a non-customer means I don't know about anything that has happened since then.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

2. Jul 8, 2013 #2 of 13
    Tekneek

Tekneek New Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Ok. I've been able to do some additional research and it looks like they will need a dish that is capable of receiving the 99 satellite. Is this something they will send out, or will there have to be an "install" appointment? Also, what kind of dish do I need to ask for? Pretty clear that I was given false information on the phone last week at this point. Seems unlikely, if not completely impossible, that the old equipment will ever bring in that signal from 99.

3. Jul 8, 2013 #3 of 13
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you are getting a service call, they will fix whatever is needed. This would probably be for free since they have changed things up.

If you need the 99 satellite you will be getting a Slimline dish. It could be a Slimline 3 or a 5 depending on where the SD locals are coming from.

4. Jul 8, 2013 #4 of 13
    gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Might inquire if parents have been paying for locals and not getting them.

:eek2:

5. Jul 8, 2013 #5 of 13
    Tekneek

Tekneek New Member

Feb 19, 2013
    If they are unwilling to do it for free, I'm going to encourage my stepfather to seek an alternative provider. Sure, they probably missed the notification of the change over, but trying to make them pay for it with any amount of dollars is basically saying to look at the competition.

6. Jul 8, 2013 #6 of 13
    Tekneek

Tekneek New Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Yeah, considering the locals "are included with every package" per DirecTV. DirecTV also confirmed it to be so. It isn't their primary home, so I forgive them for not noticing previously. They're getting up there in age, so I don't expect them to navigate the technical aspects.

7. Jul 8, 2013 #7 of 13
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    This is a little bit touchy. If this is a vacation home, do you have a separate account for this location ?
    If not, you have to request a change of address on your account when you go there and change it back to the primary address when you return. I have read that this can happen once, possibly twice per year.
    If this is not the primary residence I do not think they will do anything for you as far as a service call, etc..

Some of the more in the know / installers will have a definitive answer for this.

8. Jul 8, 2013 #8 of 13
    Tekneek

Tekneek New Member

Feb 19, 2013
    The account is entirely for that location. It isn't a sort of gray market add-on to an existing account. The service address is for that location. Does it really matter to DirecTV that the location be lived in a certain number of days per year?

Please pardon my tone. The whole problem is a little frustrating. The DirecTV rep was told specifically on the phone that the dishes were the old round single-satellite dishes, yet he insisted it would get the Macon locals. I can't even re-point the 72.5 dish to get those, since I am pretty sure the satellite at 99 can't be received with the old round dish and LNB.

9. Jul 8, 2013 #9 of 13
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    No.
    What I was trying to explain is that lots of people have one account for 2 locations. They did all the install at the "vacation" home. When they go there they request the home address be changed to the vacation spot for the duration of the stay.
    When they return home they change it to the original residence.
    A lot of people do not do this step and that is why they do not get the locals for the vacation home.

Having 2 accounts is back to the original statement. Call them and let them come and fix it. They will do all necessary with hardware, wiring, aiming, etc. to get you up and going.

10. Tekneek

Tekneek New Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Ok. I will give them a call later today and hope they don't require a lot of arm-twisting. I know that we have boxes capable of seeing the proper satellites now, so we just need the right dish/switches on the outside (and I gather that switches have been made redundant by the new designs).

11. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The ( old Legacy ) Slimline dishes can handle 4 tuners without the need for switches, etc.

The new Slimline with SWM technology can handle 8 tuners and run the HDDVR models with just the one coax where the legacy model requires 2 coax lines for a DVR.

12. Tekneek

Tekneek New Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Glad I knew what I was talking about when I called in today. I had to talk to three different people, and was on the phone for almost an hour, but there is a service call this week that will (hopefully) solve the problem.

As with anything else, I suppose, you need to know your stuff when you call or resolution will take that much longer. If I had known about the 72.5 swap back when it was happening, I would never have let them get by without doing it. Still don't know how that ball got dropped, but hopefully this puts it to rest. Being able to discuss that 72.5 is gone, locals are now on 99, and that they've only got the old round dishes pointed to 101 and 72.5 were key ingredients to get past the gatekeepers.

It is a very rural area, but hopefully the techs are familiar since the shore of the lake has plenty of DirecTV dishes looking up into the sky (and self-installs have gone the way of the dodo).

13. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Most of the installs go really well these days. Once in awhile you hear of a bad one.
    At this point I would just assume it is going to go well.
    I had one in June of last year when I upgraded a DVR to an HDDVR and it was excellent.