1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mad Men: "Love Among The Ruins" OAD 8/23/09

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Stuart Sweet, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    First of all, who was quick enough to catch the date on the wedding invitation?

November 23, 1963.
    That gives you some idea how that wedding's going to turn out.

Overall, this was a sharp episode but seemed a bit transitional. We're starting to see a lot of workplace hostility at the Coop, and it seems everyone's snipping at someone.

It seems this episode was about the way you deal with your elders, and your children, when they're not doing what you want. Don's quick about it... he favors a sledgehammer whether it's shouting at his own kids or putting the screws to his brother-in-law.

On the other hand, Roger doesn't know what to do with the mess that his family's become. Don't forget that Don once worked for Roger, and now Don's snipping at him too. And all three partners can't stand Pryce.

I thought Madison Square Garden, and Don's speech about it, was the real metaphor for the hour. Do you embrace the old although it's decaying, or do you look forward to the new? Or, as Don has done at home, do you walk a tightrope between your aging in-law and your child to come?

Again, so much in this episode and not enough time to talk about it. Just one question for you dear readers, if you're women or medical professionals... how often did you wince as Betty lit up or took a drink of wine?

2. compac

compac Legend

Oct 6, 2006
    JFK's the day after his assassination...

Is there a prize?

3. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    A couple of curious moments:

"Why the hell did you buy us in the first place?"
    "I don't know."

"You are not an artist. You solve problems. Leave some tools in your toolbox."

The Ann Marget discussion was amusing.

The whole performance of Elisabeth Moss as Peggy struggling to figure out how to fit in on the job and off the job is so great.

My wife still hates this show because it's so real.