1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Mad Men Season 6

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Steve, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Apr 5, 2013 #1 of 10
    Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    For fans of the show, from today's New York Times:

2. Apr 5, 2013 #2 of 10
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Thanks, Steve. What a gripping write-up -- I wish I had written it. My appetite for the new season is fully whetted, but my anticipation is tempered by knowing it will be the last.

Now where is that Roku remote?

3. Apr 5, 2013 #3 of 10
    Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I know. Ms. Stanley does have a way with words, doesn't she?

Next to last, if I read that correctly. Hopefully there's one more season after this one to look forward to.

4. Apr 5, 2013 #4 of 10
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Hmmm. Well...

Of the reviews I've read to get my head back into that space, including Tim Goodman's in The Hollywood Reporter who I think went out on a limb in the face of Weiner's no spoilers rule, it sounds like Season 6 begins with Don and Roger still confronting the the meaning of life, plus death, and coming up empty. This picture from my last review here helps me get in the right frame of mind to deal with Weiner's take on the late '60's in what I consider to be a bad ten years, 1963-1973:

[​IMG]

5. Apr 5, 2013 #5 of 10
    Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    I hope Joan has lost some weight--that whole 50's blobbo thing was not wearing well on her. Skinny is in by the mid-60's, Twiggy and Carnaby Street and all that. We know JJ is coming back thin, good move! We have all predicted Don's daughter is headed for radicalism, so I assume we're finally gonna get our payoff there. Can't imagine Megan sticking around long immersed in her hot young hipster actor crowd. Hope Sal comes back, great character!

6. Apr 5, 2013 #6 of 10
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm really looking forward to this season and I hope that in some way these tragically flawed characters will find happy endings. We know that most of them are too rooted in their pasts to dominate for much longer; we knew that from the beginning. The only question is whether or not they will even try to bend to the winds of change or if they think, as many in their generation did, that by standing tall in the face of the future they can somehow prevent it.

I think sometimes who these people would be by the 1980s... Don would be similar to Bill Holden's character from Network, Roger would retire early, blow his money investing in est, Pete would eventually join forces with Chaugh and run a sweatshop-style agency.

Joan would become a charter member of the NYC businesswomens' association while Peggy would turn into a grizzled hag indistinguishable from one of the men. Betty would remain an old society lady while Megan went on to join the jet set, perhaps having had a brief fling with someone from Andy Warhol's Factory crowd.

Sal would go back into the closet and end up like Chris Cooper in American Beauty.

7. Apr 5, 2013 #7 of 10
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    That's how I read it as well.

8. Apr 5, 2013 #8 of 10
    Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    heheh you nailed it!

9. Apr 6, 2013 #9 of 10
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
  10. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    They slipped up on one point: the teacher was not planning on publicizing the affair (how could she, she'd lose her job). They were just slipping off for a fun weekend when Don got confronted about his true ID by Betty. The teacher just slunked home and we never saw her again.