1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magnitude 4.2 earthquake rattles Indy area

Discussion in 'The OT' started by James Long, Dec 30, 2010.

1. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I'm about 100 miles from the epicenter and thought someone was breaking in the house about that time this morning.

2. judson_west

judson_west Godfather

Jun 15, 2006
    That's just another day in paradise around the SoCal area.

3. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I was attending a conference in San Jose, CA. in 1987 when a 4.2 quake hit in the vicinity (Epicenter less than 20 miles away). It was unnerving for those of us who had never experienced an earthquake, but no biggie to the locals. :D

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    No real biggie here ... our earthquakes are usually described as a minor event with no damage. The media reports them and people say "so that's what that was". They are noticeable because they are rare.

My favorite was back in the 80's when I was in a store near where they sold wind chimes. That one was further away but every chime went off at the same time.

5. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    That would make you wonder what just happened, for sure...

6. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Glad to hear there was no report of significant damage or injuries. I hate quakes before 10 am. I'm never sure whether it's my fuzzy brain or an earthquake. I'm sure it startled a lot of folks. Looking at the historical seismicity maps, it makes one wonder what is going on.