1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Major Issues with Genie Receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by curtm1973, Jun 28, 2013.

1. curtm1973

curtm1973 New Member

Apr 28, 2013
    Gilbert, Az
    Had a new HR44 installed 2 weeks ago. ....worked fine for one day, then would constantly freeze up requiring a reset. Went on for about a week, just had another tech out yesterday, went through a lot of troubleshooting, only to replace the receiver...worked fine last night, now this morning it has froze up 5 times!

Anyone know of the same issues?

2. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    is your HR44 plug in to a UPS?

3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    And did he install new wiring? What else is in the system?

4. curtm1973

curtm1973 New Member

Apr 28, 2013
    Gilbert, Az
    He did install new wiring to the HR44 during initial setup. Other techs have checked and made sure wiring is correct

Not sure what you mean by UPS

Here is what happened today after new receiver was hooked up:

Picture would freeze on the screen, then the TV would shut off (while the HR44 stays on). You could turn off the TV and the HR44, then after turning both back on it would work. Has happened about 6 times today.

Could it be an issue with an HDMI cable, or possibly with my Sony surround that the HR44 is run into, and from the Sony receiver to the TV? The TV is a VIZIO 47" LED smart TV

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    It does sound like an hdmi issue as opposed to an HR44 issue.

UPS = uninterrupted power supply. Generally recommended with a DVR, saves your unit resetting on a momentary power bump.

6. curtm1973

curtm1973 New Member

Apr 28, 2013
    Gilbert, Az
    I replaced the HDMI cable at the HR44 from the box to my Sony receiver

However, all of my Genie mini receivers freeze up as well. This is so frustrating. Havent had normal TV in over 2 weeks now.

Not a good experience with the Genie system for me.

7. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Why didn't you call Directv the first day with your issues?

8. curtm1973

curtm1973 New Member

Apr 28, 2013
    Gilbert, Az
    I did call Direct TV.

Have had 2 different techs out here in the last week.

Tech 1 tried telling me all my outlets in the house were putting out 183 volts and I needed to call the electric company as soon as possible (licensed electrician said they were normal)

Tech 2 checked everything possible, then switched out the HR44

Tech 2 is coming back this week.

Just overall frustrated with the system. Some recordings are only 3 minutes long

Funny thing is we have an older HR23 (I could be wrong with this model number) hooked up in the game room and it works perfect.