1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making the jump from e* to d*

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by costanzas_wallet, May 28, 2011.

1. costanzas_wallet

costanzas_wallet Cool Member

May 28, 2011
    I've been an E* sub for about five years or so, subscribing to their AEP with their 722HDDVR, AutoPay and my wife orders a lot of PPV's and VOD's for her and the kids, but these past few months they've been poking me in the eye at every turn, so I'm making the jump to D*.

My installation is scheduled for June 12th, and already their customer service outshines E* by far... but I've got a few concerns.

I like the GUI and ease-of-use of Dish's DVR and am not too familiar with D*s Guide and GUI.. Can someone tell me if D's is comparable to E*'s? Better? Worse? Why?

We're also pretty big DeadHeads, so getting the Dead station on E* has more or less given them the leg up since we first signed up, because from what I understand, there is no Dead Channel with D.. is that right?

If that is correct, that's not necessarily a detrimental thing anymore, since we can access GDRadio.net using our Logitech Revue.

Which brings me to my next concern.. our Revue interfaces with E*s DVR flawlessly, and being able to schedule the DVR and view it's content view the Revue isn't worth their $5.00 integration fee, but how well does DTV it interface with the Revue?

All in all, I'm looking forward to my two-year contract.

Brian (Constanzas_Wallet)
    NEPA

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I believe the Revue cant see the playlist. If you have an iPad, there is an app that works well for that, and more.

I don't know the current Dish UI, but when my inlays had it, I couldn't figure it out. And I had no problem with changes from a scientific Atlanta to TiVo to hr20, so don't think it was just me.

Welcome to the DirecTV family!

3. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I think you'll be happy with your decision, as long as you can live w/o the Deadhead channel. And as far as I know, there is no interface to the Logitech Revue. You will be able to do remote scheduling of programs using the DIRECTV DVR Scheduler [link]. For more advanced features such as remote access to view my schedule or view programs, I have a Slingbox. It works great for what I need.

4. davidpo

davidpo AllStar

Apr 6, 2006
    Well the GUI on the hr models is crap compared to dish's.Sometime this year maybe we will be getting a hd gui,but considering it took D years to get early bugs worked out dont hold your breath.

5. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I think the opposite. To each his own.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Considering it was announced in the investors meeting, it's a pretty good chance, though maybe not the 20.

7. davidpo

davidpo AllStar

Apr 6, 2006
    Well we have a little over 6 months left in the year,so it should show up soon in the CE. I had one of the first hr-20's loved it especially the built in ota,but not so crazy about the new boxes.

8. ubankit

ubankit AllStar

Jan 7, 2005
    I switched from Dish to Direct in January of this year. Overall I'm happy with the switch.
    Part of what you'll run up against is getting used to a Direct hddvr versus the 722 (I had a 622 so it was similar to your 722). I think the 622/722 is easier to use, but after using an hr24 for about 5 months, I've become much more used to it. The Direct guide only shows 2 hours at a time (Dish showed 3 hours), but the Direct guide has much more info available, such as "upcoming viewings" of the program you're looking at the info on. I'd recommend looking at the manual, there's a lot of good info there. I did notice a slightly better pq on the local hd channels on Direct, the other hd channels didn't seem that much different to me. Good luck with your switch.
    Oh yeah, I find that Directs billing is less confusing than Dish's when I look at the bill online. (That may be because I always thought that Dish's website was put up as an afterthought and not very well designed).

9. Jun 2, 2011 #9 of 25
    costanzas_wallet

May 28, 2011
    Thanks for the info. I'm not that scared of a new gui, but my wife sure as hell is. She's not the most technologically adept human in the world and she's comfortable with Dish, so making this switch has put me two paws in the dog house .. soon to be all four once it's installed lol.

Direc doesn't have our locals in HD .. is there an internal OTA in the new multi-room DVR's davidpo?

10. bobvick1983

bobvick1983 Godfather

Mar 21, 2007
    NW Alabama
    You will need to get AM-21 or AM-21N add on tuners to get OTA. I did not know how I would like them at first, but they work fine with my HR24's. Over all I am very pleased.

11. costanzas_wallet

May 28, 2011
    Well, the technician came out Saturday Morning. Apparently, DTV's 119 is lower on the horizon than Dish's, therefore blocked by the big tree on our street so the technician was unable to install.

Then this morning I get a call from a "DTV retailer" wanting to send another technician for a second opinion. She wanted all my info again .. SSN, Credit Card number, DOB, order details, etc ... I asked her to call back tomorrow because she was hard to understand and I wanted to get some clarification from the forum before I went ahead.

Has anyone had success with the second round?

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I did when I got installed. The first installer said there was no way, the second opinion tech had no problems with it. At least for me, it didn't end up being marginal, I got signals in the 90s. That was quite a while ago, when the box I got was an SD DirecTivo.

13. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If by NEPA you mean northeast Pennsylvania, both markets (Scranton-Wilkes-Barre and Binghamton) have HD locals (with the glaring exceptions of CBS and CW in the Binghamton DMA).

If you're not going to have any SD equipment, you don't really need 119W (unless one of the Sonic Tap channels located there is a must-have).

If you happen to be in the Elmira DMA, there are no locals at all so you don't need to see 119W.

All things considered (and assuming I've correctly assessed your approximate location), I suspect the first installer was probably blowing you off. Even if 119W were required, the fact that you were getting it from DISH Network at some point largely invalidates that excuse.

14. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Depends on your yard I guess. I moved to my current house and the first installer said no way. Supervisor came out about a week later and said the same. After a year of Comcast pixelation I called a local retailer and told them to figure it out. I had to take out a small 10' tree and got a pole mount where the first installers never thought it could happen. I think the local retailers have more to gain by figuring out how to make it work. The HSPs are all about churning out as many jobs as possible per day so if they can't get it in easily it's a no go. Their plates are full.

15. costanzas_wallet

May 28, 2011
    RE: HD Locals ... yeah, someone on the board has a link in their signature leading to a chart of locals in HD, which did say we had em. When I ordered online, there was a disclaimer on the order confirmation stating the HD Locals weren't available in my area.. not sure why.

I had a feeling the tech was eager to get through his day before he even showed up. I was scheduled for the 8-12 timeframe and he called at just after 7:15am saying he was here. My wife was getting ready for work (I love that time of morning ;) ) and I actually had to argue with him that he needed to come back inside the scheduled timeframe... so he wasn't too excited to begin with... and I told him that I was on the 119 with Dish so I didn't understand why it was a problem for him.. that's when he told me that the DTV satellite is positioned 25 degrees lower.

On a related note, I had called Dish on Friday to let them know that I was having another provider install services Sunday, so I'd need the services disconnected Monday morning just in case something came up and I needed to cancel the install. Naturally, the killed em at about 7:40am on Sunday. Well, once the DTV guy left, I had to call Dish and spent a good two and a half hours trying to get them to turn my services back on. It even came down to them wanting me to pay another $105 upfront, even though they pre-maturely disco'd my services.

At any rate, they restored my services without me paying another $105.00.

16. costanzas_wallet

May 28, 2011
    ... interesting. I think I would have needed to pay another $99.00 for a third HD box (for my 8 y/o daughters 18' TV), but they were offering the SD Box free. Where can I see which SD Channels are from the 119?

17. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Go to this link and enter your zip code (and possibly what county you live in), or just tell us what zip code and county you live in. That will tell you if your local channels are available or not. You could live in a zip code where you are in the market for the local channels, but outside of the spot beam, which would mean that DirecTV can't give you locals.
    http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packProg/localChannels.jsp?assetId=900018&_requestid=105371

As far as the installer, sounds like he just didn't want to bother with the install. DirecTV and Dish networks sats are pretty much in the exact same place at 119. These sats are in orbit over the equator, at 119 degrees longitude. If they were really 25degrees apart they either wouldn't be at 119, or they wouldn't be over the equator, which would pretty much make them useless for DirecTV/Dish.

18. costanzas_wallet

May 28, 2011
    After doing a bit of google-fu, I've found a few references to the DirecTV-7S at 119 degrees being 22,300 miles above the earth... whereas Dish Network's Echostar 7 at 119 is 22,237 miles above the earth... which says yes.. the installer was just being a douche because I wouldn't let him come in and watch my wife walk around nekid.

** and thanks for the link. It states the stations are available in HD.. Including PBS!!!

19. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    As for anyone calling me and asking for SSN and other sensitive personal data, sorry but they are going to have to do better than that for me to release said info over the phone on an unsolicited inbound call.

20. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I agree, I would have been very leary of that call as well. I believe it is normal for them to follow up a no-line-of-sight install cancellation by sending out a more experianced tech/installer to see if they can find a place to install the dish, but asking for your credit card number/SSN is very strange.

Almost sounds to me like it might have been a local sat company DirecTV hired to do the install. They refused to do it, then called him up on their own and wanted him to sign up as a new subscriber through them so they get the commission, etc.