1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making the move to satellite -questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Novice, Aug 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Novice

Novice Cool Member

Aug 24, 2003
    Finally asking for help in making a decision. I am an ex-big dish user and am currently on cable, (am I allowed to say Comcast?). From all I've read Directv seems to be the best option. I definitely want a dvr, minimum 80 hrs. and also don't want to give up ny big screen PIP option. I understand Samsung is coming out with a dvr, larger drive and PIP capability - any word on this other than rumor. Sorry to be so wordy, this is my first attempt at a message (query) and will try to be more concise in future. All suggestions (not rude) will be read and appreciated.
    What does post a poll mean??

2. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    At this time, the only DirecTV DVR receivers that are currently available is Hughes HDVR2 (which does NOT record HDTV), Phillips DSR-7000, and RCA's DVR39. All three are essentially the same unit as they come from the same factory with only some cosmetic differences. However, you can easily expand the units to hold up to 2 120MB hard drives, giving you over 200 hours of record time. Making this modification will void your warranty. There are companies that will perform the hard drive expansion for you.

There have been some announcements of some DirecTV DVRs with larger hard drives, but they are currently not available for sale yet. The price will be higher. Also with no release date set is a DVR with HD recording capabilities.

The DirecTV PVRs all use the TiVo software. There is a $4.99 fee for the feature unless you subscribe to Total Choice Premium.

AFAIK, there is no PIP capability in DirecTV's PVRs. There was one in the UltimateTV unit, but manufacturing of those units have since been discontinued.

The best deals are when you first purchase the system. You will need to commit to a one-year contract at Total Choice or above, and the receivers must be activated within 30 days of purchase. So, it's best to plan ahead. I would highly recommend the Triple LNB even though most of the English services is at the 101 position. It makes it easier to transition to HDTV services down the road.

For my install:
    * HDVR2 (DirecTV DVR)
    * Two Additional Receivers (HBH-SA's)
    * Triple LNB dish
    * Installation
    * Shipping
    Total cost: $226.

Now, note: A standalone HDVR2 usually costs $199-$249 for existing customers through the regular outlets. DirecTV does have a special going on, but don't ask me for details.

As for posting a poll, a poll is just a series of questions that start off a topic to get an opinion or for use with contests. An administrator or a moderator can make a poll.

You may also want to consider getting a more unique name than Novice. Otherwise... welcome to DBSTalk.

3. lastmanstanding

lastmanstanding Godfather

Mar 22, 2003
    I came to DBS from C-band, and frankly, life is better. Dish has some significant new hardware 'just around the corner', so check out Superdish and the 921. I like Dish because of the Superstations, a taste that I carried over from C-band. We are supposed to be getting local channels soon, but after not having them for 12 years, I really don't care. Better stuff on the Superstations anyway.

Anything you buy, make sure to wire for HD. Whether we want it or not, it is coming.

LMS

4. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Novice if you want DVR stay away from DISH you will be disappointed unless you were a Houston Tracker user on the big dish. Samsung is supposed to be coming out with a 120 gig hard drive DVR, it is supposed to come out in August but the month is almost over. You can get a standard 40 gig DVR then have the hard drive replaced to give the extra recording.

5. Novice

Novice Cool Member

Aug 24, 2003
    Quick responses, thank you. While planning ahead as suggested I will also try to come up with a more unique name, novice is what I am but after reviewing names in use I think you are right and will change to 'happygramps', for reasons not necessary to explain. I will give Samsung one more month as that sounds promising, other than that Zloth seems to anticipate what my needs will be. What would it roughly cost to have the hard drive upgraded to say 120, or it is easily done - such as when I upgraded my pc?
    Thanks for the respnses.

6. Novice

Novice Cool Member

Aug 24, 2003
    Rules say I cant change my user name so happy gramps will remain novice, no biggee as Ive been called worse.

7. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Try AVSforums Direct Tivo section for lots of information on upgrading the hard drive.

8. cnsf

cnsf Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2002
    Another place to go for instructions on doing it yourself (or buying one ready to go) is http://www.9thtee.com

I got my brackets there and they went in as promised. The upgrade is fairly easy if you're PC savvy.

9. arley

arley New Member

Aug 6, 2003
    I'm in the same boat; making the move to satellite when the house is rewired. I'm in an area with a lousy cable company. (Two years ago I inquired about when they would offer cable modem service, and I had to explain what that was to them.) :nono2:

Unless something major comes out at the Charlie Chat in a couple of weeks, I'm now leaning toward DirecTV with a couple of Hughes HDVR2's. For 'futureproofing' I'm having the electrician run 5 runs of RG6 from where the dish will be located, back into the house to a central panel with a multiswitch.

Any other suggestions about wiring?

arley

10. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    You may need to e-mail a administrator to change your user name.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I have not performed the upgrade yet.

The upgrade of any Tivo is not for the novice, but I'm told that if you work with computers, you can upgrade the hard drive. Just allow plenty of time and read the Hinsdale instructions carefully and about three times through. There are also companies that will upgrade the hard drive for you.

However, don't perform the upgrade until at least the parts warranty is up... just in case of failure.

A 120GB hard drive can be had for around $100 each (depending on promotion) and the weekness bracket is around $50, so upgrading a HDVR2 to oiver 200 hours is about $250.

And, yes, this is perfectly fine with Tivo, although they do not endorse the procedure.

11. Novice

Novice Cool Member

Aug 24, 2003
    Thanks Z'loth, that sounds the way for me to go. I will see what Samsung is offering, hopefully pip will be in the new unit. Then if not I will do as you suggest, I have worked with computers so feel pretty comfortable and def. agree about three times thru instructions. For a novice that is. Tnx again.

12. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    No problem.

13. Novice

Novice Cool Member

Aug 24, 2003
    I read a message with inquiry about a fix for a CC problem. I assume that is closed cap. and if so is there a problem with it?? Unfortunately I need that function.

14. raj2001

raj2001 Icon/Supporter

Nov 2, 2002
    It's WeaKnees

not weekness or weakknees or weakness.

:)

15. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Well, however they're called, they make what appears to be a better bracket for the HDVR2 than 9th tee, and the kit comes with everything including a semi-hard to find cable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.