1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Manti Te'o's Dead Girlfriend a hoax???

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by bobukcat, Jan 16, 2013.

1. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    If this is true it's amazing that so many outlets (I'm looking at you Pete Thamel and Sports Illustrated) reported it without doing some basic fact checking first. I bet he's glad this didn't come out before the title game, right now he's still hurting enough from that beat-down he probably won't feel this one!

http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-t...source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I was just seeing a little about this on ESPN.

It's crazy.

Either it is a "Catfish" situation... and I feel sorry for him... or he is a crazy dude if he made it all up.

Strange, but I actually hope he was tricked, because the alternative is that he is twisted.

3. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    The story seem a little odd but by the time I heard of sometime last month I figure it's been vetted so I did give much thought. I hope the story of Rudy turns out to be true.:)

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Deadspin certainly doesn't believe him ... the local media are more patient. The University's investigation backs Te'o.

It will be interesting to hear the full story ... although it is unfortunate that the potential victim here (Te'o) is being harassed by the media.

5. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    The part that really makes me doubt his story is the interviews he gave stating the first meeting was in person after a football game. At this point I have to believe he was in on this at some point, which is sad.

6. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    There's a possibility that he was trying to make it look more real than it was.

I mean, making "less than truthful" stories about one's girlfriend isn't exactly "new". It used to be called "locker room talk".

After all, there IS (or at least WAS) a stigma about having a SO (Significant Other, boyfriend, girlfriend) that you MET online - never mind if it's been an "online only" relationship.

I'm sure more details will be coming out - the sharks smell blood.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
  8. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I DVR'd a couple of Catfish episodes (they're on D* VOD). I've changed my whole outlook now that I've seen how this works.

Is Catfishing common among people < 30?

9. WestDC

WestDC DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    He needed a beard -he could trust and fake one lasted longer than a real one.