1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Manual Recording gets confused when changing duration

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Marrelli, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Marrelli

Marrelli New Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Ohio
    I posted this at Directv's forum but was informed that Directv monitors these forums. This is the glitch I encounter on my HR23:

I record MLB games as manual recordings.

On Thursday 7/24 I set the following:

When: Today
    Start: 11 PM
    Duration 2 hours 10 minutes

If during the game, it appears it is running late, I will change the duration.

If I change the duration before midnight, there is no problem.

After midnight, I changed the duration to 2 hours 40 minutes (the game was running late)

However, when I go to watch the game, it has the duration on the scale as 26 hours 40 minutes.

If I go back into recording options, indeed it was changed from 2 hours 40 minutes to 26 hours 40 minutes.

Here is where I think the error is made by the receiver software:

When I edit it after midnight, it still has the "When" as Today instead of "Yesterday"
    Even though it actually started the day before, it is adding the 2 hours 40 minutes to the 11 PM on Friday instead of Thursday.

Reporting this in hopes of Directv fixing this.

Art

2. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    What channel are you recording on, and why are you using a manual recording in the first place? Generally speaking they are much more problematic than just setting a regular recording with some padded time.

3. Marrelli

Marrelli New Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Ohio
    Well, I never had problems doing this on my Directivo.

For this case, it was an Extra Innings channel that have the games lasting 6 hours. Naturally, I don't want to record the game that long.

Also, in this case I recorded 2 other programs (2 tuner receiver) for the first hour of the game. Game actually started at 10:10.

Both cases have the Manual Record the best option. Bottom line is that their is a glitch in their software once you pass midnight and want to change the duration.

4. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Now that I can see the bigger picture, I think I know what the source of the issue might be...

The first issues is the extra innings channel. They are not like regular channels they go on and off line and such and really screw with manual recordings. As such, because their guide data is different, people have posted a few weird quirks over the years sometimes on these channels with manual recordings. I don't think it will ever change to be honest. (There's an entire debate in there on how manual recordings work, and let's just say they don't work like I and you think they really should, but since I never use them I don't really find it an issue myself.)

You should also get the RSN channel that has the game while the game is on, I'd suggest figuring out what channel that is and setting your recording for that channel, but would need to make sure its on. That could fix the issue. I suggest padding it for at least an hour anyway.

Personally I record a ton of sports and I always pad all my sports for three hours, I don't want to miss ot.

Directv TiVo never could record properly with wishlists for sports, so I found them far far inferior since it failed one of the most important functions in the world to me, and yet every other DVR I have ever had has done it superbly. It's all in how you use them.

The best solution is if you can get an upgrade to a genie for free. Five tuners and twice the recording space, you will never have to worry about conflicts, and will never have to worry about letting it record the entire six hours. Also they have a fantastic sports search and auto record system to grab any teams games similar to how a whish list was supposed to work for tivos. Only DirecTVs works. Oh, and genies are faster than your current DVR too. ;)

1 person likes this.
  5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If during the game, it appears it is running late, I will change the duration.

If I change the duration before midnight, there is no problem.

After midnight, I changed the duration to 2 hours 40 minutes (the game was running late)

Next time you do this see if the date of the stop time has changed. If it has, this would add 24 hours to the length of the recording.

6. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    i think this is a bug, but you need to post it in the thread for the software release you are running. not in this general thread....
    Those release specific-threads are at the top of the page when you go to the discussion threads...

1 person likes this.
  7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Not this one. Only the software specific threads.

8. Marrelli

Marrelli New Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Ohio
    There is no date of stop time.

9. Marrelli

Marrelli New Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Ohio
    Thanks, I will post it there.

10. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team