1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manual recording has failed 4 out of the past 5 weeks

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by c152driver, Mar 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 4, 2007 #1 of 12
    c152driver

c152driver Legend

Jan 21, 2007
    Argh! My HR20's manual recording for The Simpsons has failed 4 out of the past 5 weeks. In all cases the error is "This showing was partially recorded because of an unexpected error. (14)". (It's lying since there is no partial recording to be found)

This is a manual recording repeating every Sunday at 7PM. Nothing else is being recorded at this time.

I've tried switching the manual recording from the HD station to the SD station. I've even done a full (wipe everything) reset. And I believe it's happened on at least three different software versions.

Searching the threads, it seems that this is a fairly common issue with manual recurring recordings.

Please fix this annoying bug!

2. Mar 5, 2007 #2 of 12
    jpete20024

jpete20024 Cool Member

Jan 25, 2007
    I have had the same problem with my Manual Records. I tried a manual record from 9:00PM thru 12:00AM on Sunday, CBS, same error message. I tried manual record from 8:00PM thru 11:00PM Sunday, Fox, same error message. I have had to do this because of sports on those channels. I am beginning to think this Manual record doesn't work. I thought that the newest version would correct this, 0x134, but it didn't. Hopefully they will fix this in upcoming versions.

3. Mar 5, 2007 #3 of 12
    hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I have a recurring manual recording set for 12:00 a.m. Tuesdays. I'll know tomorrow morning if it worked. Manual records have been problematic for a long time, although I thought they had fixed this once before. I'll let you know what happens late tonight.

4. Mar 5, 2007 #4 of 12
    Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2005
    I have 1 set up as well and it is supposed to recoed at 7 tonight NFL total access it is in the to do list but I will be interested now to see if in fact it records.

5. Mar 5, 2007 #5 of 12
    c152driver

c152driver Legend

Jan 21, 2007
    I've now set up a Series Link for The Simpsons. I also left the manual recording in place. It will be interesting to see what happens next Sunday.

Since The Simpsons is aired at least 10 times a week on my local Fox affiliate, I'd really rather use a manual recording. Of course, if the "First Run" only feature worked, it wouldn't be a problem. But that's a topic for another thread. :)

6. Mar 5, 2007 #6 of 12
    hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    :D

7. Mar 5, 2007 #7 of 12
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    The first run works just fine for the Simpsons as it does for all shows on Fox or any of the major networks. The typical networks that don't provide good guide data in terms of first run are typically Comedy Central (Daily Show), ESPN (like Sportscenter) and MTV.

Now if your Fox affiliate shows Simpsons reruns during the day and your first run series link is picking those up then your local affiliate is not providing proper guide data to Tribune. Complain to them to get their guide data fixed up.

8. Mar 5, 2007 #8 of 12
    islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    I'll be curious to see if this works too. I havd had to set two manual recordings for 4:00 today. The Islanders are playing the Rangers on Vs. I first set it for ch 95, since the game was there, but they it became Jackass Two. So I set it for 608 as well (I can't have the 6:00 recording, since Heroes and 24 both come on at 9:00). Then, when it re-appeared on 95 this morning, I re-set it to record the came on 95 (third time). When I get home, I'll have several possibilities. Either I'll get to watch the game in HD, which I've paid dearly for, or I'll have it in SD on 608, or I'll just have to catch it on trusty TiVo (I didn't check the TiVo since it never misses any recordings).

OK, it worked. Now, if only the Isles worked as well as the HR20 did last night. Oh, well, you gotta lose one eventually...

9. Mar 6, 2007 #9 of 12
    chef8181

chef8181 AllStar

Jan 25, 2007
    I've got the same problem with my manual recordings for the Simpsons and Family Guy Sunday night. I ended up switching them to series links after they recorded nothing 3 weeks in a row.

Interestingly my manual recording for Sports Center M-F at 7 am has worked every time since I got the HR20 last month.

10. Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2005
    Mine worked last night 1st time try maybe I was just lucky will try again tonight

11. c152driver

c152driver Legend

Jan 21, 2007
    For what it's worth, on Sunday night, my manual recording for the Simpsons failed again with error code 14, while my newly created series link recording worked just fine. Same channel for both.

12. geopig

geopig Cool Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Just to add, I'm at approximately 15% success rate for manual recordings. Most of these are on NHL CI so I can't find them again later as with some other "regular" shows. And, yes that means over 80% failure rate for manual recordings. I'm really pssd about this with the end of the NHL season approaching (and playoffs).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.