1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mapdown question

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by djacks, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djacks

djacks Cool Member

Jan 4, 2007
    I apologize if this is a dumb question.
    Just received V4.03 upgrade from 3.66
    HGTV shows different programs on SD and HD.
    Now when I enter Channel 112 (HGTV SD) It displays the HD channel instead (same as Channel 9461.
    How do I get to the HGTV SD channel instead?? The only way I have found is to go to the guide and manually select the 'other' 112 channel.

Normally being sent to the HD channel would be fine but there are occasionally different programs on the HD and SD channel.

2. wje

wje Godfather

Mar 8, 2006
    New England
    You can change the mapdown settings in various ways.
    It's not obvious where it is, though: Menu-setup-local channels, then select the 'channel view' button. (I'm doing this from memory, it's definitely in the OTA channel scan screen)

There are two different parts. The left side selection controls how locals are displayed, the right side controls how satellite HD vs SD non-local channels are displayed.

The right-hand default setting works fine for HD/SD pairs where the same content is shown, but, as you discovered, not so well for the ones that have different content. I just turned off the right-hand stuff, although you might prefer a different setting. Play with it. I use HD-priority for the left-hand side.

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You can also lock the individual mapdowns and then hide locked ... in case you like having a mapdown for 118, 138, 140, 144, 154, 186, 300, 318 and 350 but not 110, 112 and 182 (for example).

4. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    It's a lot simpler to tune to channel 112 and select down arrow to go to SD and up arrow to go back to HD - pretty intuitive if you ask me.

5. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    I simply lock out all duplication of channels that are simulcast and use the new mirrored lower channel numbers instead. Eventually I take it that all sd channels will go hd so they will be replaced anyway with hd ones when they go all mpeg4 , so why not start locking out the inferior picture quality of those sd channels .

6. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    But in this case it is not a simulcast.

7. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    There are only 2 stations that are not simulcast that I know of: Food tv and Hgtv.

8. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    Also Discovery HD. And of course some locals, notably PBS stations.

9. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003

I thought Discovery hd was a simulcast of the same sd channel. Well I wouldn't watch it in sd anyway. Of course the locals are different, I was just talking about the national hd channels.

10. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 16, 2006
    OT I WANT MY PBS IN HD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.