1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mast question

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by photogman, Nov 29, 2010.

1. photogman

photogman New Member

Nov 27, 2010
    I am putting a Clearstream5 and a Clearstream 4 together on a mast to go on my Rohn 25G for my OTA antenna.

I was thinking about using a galvanized chain link fencing post 2" diameter (10' length) for my mast. I believe it is .47 gauge post. Would this work in your estimation?

2. Tower Guy

Tower Guy Godfather

Jul 27, 2005
    If the question is, "will the pipe bend?" I doubt it.

Or "will the U bolts fit?" Update. The actual answer is yes. Antennas Direct U-bolts will fit larger than TV mast sizes.

The U bolts on either antenna will bolt directly to the legs of the tower. Do you need the extra height on both antennas?

If the fence post is pipe, expect a size of 1.9" OD or 1.66" OD.
    If it's really 2" OD, it's technically called tubing, and that's uncommon in the fencing industry.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    1-1/4" is the preferred diameter. Even with two flyswatters, it should be sufficient.

4. hoophead

hoophead Godfather

Feb 10, 2008
    This past summer/fall I replaced the 5' mast that came with my antenna and put up a 10' chain link fence top rail to bring in stronger signals and it only cost around $8 as opposed to about $25.