1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Masterpiece Classic's Downton Abbey Season 2 starts tonight

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Jan 8, 2012 #1 of 22
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    For those who watched Season 1, this is "a much anticipated event." While Brit critics were a bit hard on the writing this second season, it had high ratings in Great Britain and the Christmas special episode, which we will see as the last episode this season, had the highest ratings for the night despite serious competition (British TV and holidays are a bit different from the U.S.).

Whatever weaknesses in the writing, the WWI time setting and the Spanish Flu make for great drama. And the cast which includes Elizabeth McGovern and Maggie Smith among other terrific, but lesser known in U.S., actors is great.

In one sense, it's simply a soap. But in reality it is great TV with a relatively chaste romantic storyline.

And the fact that it's great TV with high production values is why it received 11 Emmy nominations last year and won for
    • Outstanding Miniseries or Made for Television Movie,
    • Outstanding Writing for a Miniseries, Movie or a Dramatic Special (Julian Fellowes),
    • Outstanding Directing for a Miniseries, Movie or a Dramatic Special (Brian Percival),
    • Outstanding Cinematography for a Miniseries or Movie (David Katznelson),
    • Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or Movie (Maggie Smith), and
    • Outstanding Costumes for a Miniseries, Movie or a Special (Susannah Buxton and Caroline McCall).
    Oh, and it has been renewed by ITV for a third season.

2. Jan 9, 2012 #2 of 22
    spaul

spaul Godfather

Jul 18, 2009
    I missed first season but, did get caught up this last month while it was repeated on PBS.Already watched the the first installment of second season last night my wife and I both enjoyed it.It is no wonder it received many awards it is a feast for the eyes as well for the brain with the stunning scenery and the great cast.

3. Jan 9, 2012 #3 of 22
    khark

khark Mentor

Jan 23, 2005
    Wyoming
    What channel is this on? I did a search and could not find it.

4. Jan 9, 2012 #4 of 22
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    PBS

5. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    We too enjoyed the first episode of this season. So far I'd say the Brit critics are idiots and the Brit audience gets it.

6. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
  7. Mar 4, 2012 #8 of 22
    dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    We just started wayching this show a few days ago. Thanks to Amazon Prime, we're watching the first season via stream on our TV at no charge.

We love it so much that I went on Amazon and looked for season 2. The streaming is $2.99/episode for 9 episodes. That's bsically $27. SO I bought the BluRay DVDs for $24.99. As a bonus, Amazon gave us access to season 2 via streaming. SO do I return the BluRays after streaming? Ethically I shouldn't...maybe I'll just start lending it out.

It's great to see a show that relies on good plot, good writing, and good acting. No special effects, although most peoples teeth (especially in England) are too good.

8. Mar 4, 2012 #9 of 22
    seern

seern Active Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Glen Allen, VA
    I have watched both seasons from Blu Ray, since I wanted to see it in the original BBC production and not the PBS recut.

9. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I am putting a copy of this post here because those of you who watch "Downton" will have a chance to watch something you might like next Saturday and Sunday even though it's on ABC :

10. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
  11. Pete K.

Pete K. Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    I've already seen the entire season 3 as it aired on ITV. Great show. I won't spoil it by telling you what happens. You can do that yourself using your favorite search engine.

12. Virginian

Virginian Mentor

Jun 14, 2006
    Neither will I.

Show creators didn't have courage to end show in the season 2.

Almost all plot lines in the season 3 are contrived, boring and sometimes absolutely unrealistic.

13. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    Can you link where you went to see season 3?

Also, Phrelin,
    Last season it was shown twice on Sunday night, I follow the good wife at nine, then wait till 1:00 AM to watch "Downton".
    What happened? Is it just my local pbs? There was only one showing on Sunday [ 13th] and I missed it! What the h**l?

No way to record. I've got a 222k.

14. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    Did you watch Encore's " Titanic, Blood and Steel"? [ 12 episodes]

I thought it was very good.

15. Pete K.

Pete K. Icon

Apr 23, 2002
  16. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Can't help you. KQED here in the Bay Area DMA runs it a second time in the middle of the night, but only once during prime time.

17. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
  18. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Season 3 and the 2012 Christmas special are available on Usenet if you know how and where to look.

19. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    I never considered watching DA in the past, I feared it would have been boring. Then I read the record breaking viewership for the start of season 3 and became intrigued. So I watched seasons 1 and 2 via Amazon Prime and became hooked and now getting caught up using Comcast On demand for season 3.

This series is ruthless with all the backstabbing and the friendship that O'Brien and Thomas once had is coming hopefully to an epic showdown :)