1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maximun length for HDMI cable with new H24-700 reciever?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by squarej, Jul 13, 2010.

1. squarej

squarej Mentor

Jul 25, 2007
    I am interested in running the output of my new reciever to the deck/pool area and while I was on monoprice.com looking for a long hdmi cable, the item description read may not work with Direct TV. I was looking for a 75' to 100' run as it would be the easiest for me to do. If I can not run HDMI this long I guess I will have to run component + audio to the TV out there.

Any information is appreciated, I did a search but the date was from 2007 and said max run was 150-200' so was hoping for some updated information or first hand experience.

Thanks

Jamie

2. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
  3. squarej

squarej Mentor

Jul 25, 2007
    No I haven't as my run is going to be outside - but that does look like an interesting idea that I could incorporate if I can not figure anything else out.

Jamie

4. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Here's what Wiki has to say:

5. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    The balun could probably handle being outside as well as an HDTV :D

6. squarej

squarej Mentor

Jul 25, 2007
    The TV is a smaller flatscreen that will be placed out during the evening and removed when coming in. The cable will be the same, placed out when needed. The box will be inside at all times.

I noticed that Monoprice sells 75 and 100' runs but they specifically say may not work with Direct TV - so I am just confused.

7. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
  8. MarkN

MarkN Legend

Jul 13, 2007
    I have a 75' HDMI run with no problems at all. Got it at bluejeanscable.com

9. squarej

squarej Mentor

Jul 25, 2007
    I will give it a shot then...

Jamie

10. bleggett29

bleggett29 Legend

Feb 2, 2008
    I have an HR22-100 connected to one of those 75' HDMI cables from monoprice. Every once in awhile it won't sync when turning on a 22" Sylvania
    HDTV. Have to unplug the cable, wait a minute then plug the cable back in. But once the HDTV is on and it has sync, it never has lost it. If I had to do it over again I'd go with the 5-connection component/audio RCA cable.

11. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Blue Jeans has found their cable is only compliant up to 45', although they have used their best up to 100' successfully.

link: How Long Can HDMI Cable Be Run?

12. Talos4

Talos4 Legend

Jun 21, 2007
    Have you considered running component cables?

I made my own using coax and connectors.

The run was 85' to my exterior deck. Mounted a weatherproof box to the wall. terminated the long run in the box to the wall plate.

Connected the TV via a shorter run component cable when I needed the TV. Connections were kept clean using the weatherproof box.

Works great!

The link goes to what I used as a wall plate.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042502&p_id=3000&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

13. squarej

squarej Mentor

Jul 25, 2007
    I am going to try the hdmi cable, if it fails I will return it and go with component cable + Audio cable.

Jamie

14. Winston_Smith

Winston_Smith Cool Member

Jul 15, 2010
    I can't remember right now were I saw it but they have just finalized a standard for a new HD connection that uses cat5e.

Found it, it's not a reality just yet, but the spec has been finalized. It's called HDbaseT, and it looks cool as all get out.

Here's a video of it, watch me

15. HiDefGator

HiDefGator Legend

Nov 19, 2005
    for $6 a month you could just put another box closer to the patio as an option.

16. tassenza

tassenza New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Jamie, I have the same receiver and am looking at Monoprice for a 75 ft. HDMI cable as well. I'm using it inside though and there are 2 types I found...

75FT 26AWG CL2 Standard Speed HDMI Cable w/ Built-in Equalizer - Black
    75FT 22AWG CL2 Standard Speed HDMI Cable - Black

Did this work out for you and which cable did you end up using?

Thank you for your help.
    Tom

17. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I've got a 90' HDMI Cable that I bought from Monoprice and it worked for what I needed until I got MRV and discarded it.